myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Which Board Size To Improve On?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adywind

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nodak wrote:
Tabou Rocket 125 seems to fit the bill as an all around freeride board as well.

Found this article on it: http://www.boardseekermag.com/windsurfing-equipment-tests/clone-quotes/2010/tabou-rocket-125-2010.html

You've got that right! The 125lt /~65cm wide/ freeride boards are the most popular and the most versatile size in this category. Go for it and since you sail on a lake don't limit your choice with the Rocket. They have an advantage in very rough waters which becomes a disadvantage in flat waters. One day you'll get bored from this one too and then you'll get a 100 lt- another all time favorite size for high wind for your weight /be careful to keep it Wink /
Also consider the "wonder" board category - the freemove with shining examples like the FireMove or the Gecko in their 110 lt size wich could be your "one board does it all" solution .
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cross 114 is a great do all board.

S-cross 126 great for flat water.

kona one probably would perform better with a larger sail than a 5.0, even in higher winds. i've tried it. min sail size for a balanced feel in only the the strongest winds would be a 5.8 size. otherwise, the sail has a really dysfunctional feel to it. the specifics as to why would require far too much typing.....

carving a kona through a planing jibe is great to help one commit to the carve to keep up the momentum. if the plane is lost, the board will balk. when planing, the board responds to inside rail pressure and sail orientation. not planing, it wants the opposite. recognizing when to commit to either is tricky until one has had plenty of TOW. in sketchy situations, duck jibe. sail gets flipped early, power back on sooner too. less likely to lose the plane.

5.0 winds dagger down to go upwind? not a fun choice. dagger down and planing, worse.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
nodak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:

5.0 winds dagger down to go upwind? not a fun choice. dagger down and planing, worse.

No, I don't use dagger to blast downwind; only upwind. No, 5.0 wasn't ideal at all.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just weight that matters....
How many windy days do you get a year?
Are you supremely athletic, or do you lack basic balance.
Do you enjoy a tough challenge, or do you like it easy and efficient.
I learned all my moves by the end of my first season of windsurfing. Living in SanFranciscoBay area helps, as I got over 130 planing days my first year. Surfing for 25 years previously helped a bit also, not only 4A in competition, but an established big wave rider as well.
First year, my boards were.... Alto 330 (4 days), Marker111 (3 days), my bud's 9' surfboard (1 day, was kinda small), 9' tri fin Seatrend (one month), LocalMotion 8'10" wave (2 months, RobinProdanovich 7'7" x 23 twin fin wave riding board (one month), Haut 8'3" wave, 3 months.
By then, I could jibe 95%, not tack at all with my advanced boards, duck jibe, jump jibe, jump REALLY high, go fast enough to be picked up by Seatrend for their board development team, and ordered enough Haut poly glass boards to become one of his two team riders.
Took a step back my second year, as I met a g/f who took my 8'3" Haut and wanted to say inside the bay.
rangerider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there, done that. I'm sailing in northern MN and at Calhoun (Waconia sometime this summer). Anyway, how big is your lake? Since our conditions tend to be gusty go bigger. 120 L is fine if you are looking at a slalom board that is 75cm plus in width. My most used sail is my 9.5 (I also have 8.1, 7.5, 6.6 but I keep going back to the big sail) on my 145L/76cm board. I weigh 180lbs. I used to wish I had started with a short board even wider so I could spend more time planing in the straps but maybe your wind is better than mine. What size sails are you using or planning to get?
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes it is as simple as heading to the lake, look for guys your size and ask how many days they are sailing a year and what gear they are using. Obviously, skill level has a lot to do with it, but what gear you need tends to level off after you pass the intermediate level. How much time you have, length of sailing season, funds to invest, drive to master the sport, athletic skill, body size, family situation & typical conditions are all factors that determine what you will need to buy.

Various types of lake sailors:

Some only like to cruse in light winds.

Some only like to sail in moderate to high winds with small gear.

Some like to sail as often as possible in all conditions.

Some like to sail as often as possible in planing conditions. This is where I fall, with gear ranging from an 80L board and a 4.0 to a formula board and an 11.0.
nodak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rangerider wrote:
Anyway, how big is your lake? Since our conditions tend to be gusty go bigger. What size sails are you using or planning to get?

The lake is some 6 square miles. Windy days (18-20 mph plus) usually always mean lots of chop. We're in W. Minnesota. I have a bunch of Retros from 5.0 to 6.5 for high wind days. Aerotech Zenith 7.5 and a Hot Sails Speedfreak 8.5 for the Kona Ona.

I think I'll go with a 115L or so "Freemove" do-it-all board like a Tabou 3S or the Exocet Cross IV.
ColdWater

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: RRD Firemove? Reply with quote

Consider the RRD FireMove 110 or 120L. I'm significantly smaller than you are at ~60kg. and use the 100L size as my light wind board. The board feels bigger than it is in terms of stability, getting up on a plane, staying on a plane through the lulls. The 100L feels bigger than the 111 Futura I've spent hours, days on. Yet when powered up feels more like a 90L board. When I 1st saw the board on the rack I said "no way". This thing is too wide. Ends up this board has a wide wind range. Quick to plane, controllable when sailing overpowered, easiest jibing board I've ridden. Only negative is the top end. No iSonic or Futura. Stock fins are Maui Fin Co. Liquid Pro. Stock straps are DaKine. No need to upgrade components. Test sailed 100, 110 & 120L at a Red Sea venue. Outside of the volume difference they were similar. 120L you can easily carry +8M sail. A sail I can barely carry to the water.
LeeD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine coupling the Hot "SpeedFreak" sail with the RRD Freemove "slowfreak" board...... Very Happy Very Happy
Actually, the Freemove is an excellent board for most all sailors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: