myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How to "shorten" a Fiberspar World Cup boom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windswell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: How to "shorten" a Fiberspar World Cup boom Reply with quote

I just found a Fiberspar World Cup boom in excellent condition at a yard sale. But it's a 220-268. Grip is in great shape, has the newer race back end, and the twist locks and tabs are fine.

The longest boom I can use is a 210. And I'd like the boom to be a little narrower. Is there a way to cut the front end , and still reuse the boom head/front/clamp ?? Or should I just cut the back end and buy a set of new twist locks?
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or should I sell the boom and buy one I actually can use?

And here I thought my wife was the only one who couldn't resist a great deal on something she doesn't need.

Coachg
adywind

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
Or should I sell the boom and buy one I actually can use?

And here I thought my wife was the only one who couldn't resist a great deal on something she doesn't need.

Coachg

LOL Very Happy
techno900

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have shortened a Gulftech boom (holes/pins adjustment). Easy if you don't cut too much off. This is the issue since the boom arms and the boom extensions match up so one slides easily into the other. Mark the boom arms where you would cut (10cm+) and then lay the extension over the arms to see if they are still relatively parallel. Since you have to slide the arms ALL the way in to shorten the boom, that may be the issue since they may bind if things aren't parallel. There may also be plugs in the boom arms that will stop the extensions from going in. You can stick a coat hanger or similar into the arms to see how far down the plugs may be.

You should be able to buy the parts. I have done it in the past when my Fiberspar twist lock pieces wore out.

Know that it will work before you grab the saw. 10 minutes of work should give you the answer.

Or you could buy a bigger sail for the boom.
paulf.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiberspars are easy to shorten because of the replaceable twist lock kits. use a plumbers tubecutter for a square cut and file the inside diameter so the back end will slide. as stated above, be sure there is enough straight in the arms to actually slide the back end closed. this size is popular in racing circles so it might be worth more whole for sale, as coach says.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: