myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Looking for tips from W/S P-T's
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dabull1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Looking for tips from W/S P-T's Reply with quote

On this last B-Day that uses a 5 as the first digit, I'm going to raise the topic which I'm sure a lot of us old farts experience... hand and arm neuropathy. Years of hanging on to booms, grabbing a handful of brake on the mountain bikes, paddling the ol' SUP, all fun stuff that stresses the heck out of the tendons and tissues in hands and arms, and suddenly, hands start falling asleep while sailing, fingers lock, arms burn at night, YIKES! So, any W/S doctors, surgeons, physical therapists out there please sound off. I'm looking for ideas on how to alleviate or lessen the effects of this legacy of the active life! Thanks, Bull
nw30

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See
http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26467&sid=deedcd7ea29a97641cf00659e4c18eb2

You just may be next. Confused
superkraut

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Birthday, Bull! and don't worry, life does muddle on, even when it starts to lead with the dreaded 6s....
dabull1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: I AGREE Reply with quote

NW30 Thanks for the reference. I TOO STAY AWAY FROM THE KOOLAID... A SHOT OF PATRON TO YA! Bull
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to sound like an alarmist, but I would get your heart checked out. If the blood flow to your arms is reduced because of an arterial blockage in your right coronary artery in your heart, it can seem like you've got tendon issues in your arms. The idea might seem far fetched, but don't simply discount it. I know, because I found out about everything after having a heart attack. I had the arm problems for better than 6 months before the heart attack, and foolishly I just wrote it off to tendon problems. Just to be safe check out your blood pressure, and go see your cardiologist get an EKG and a echocardiographic/stress test of your heart. Better to be safe and avoid a life threatening event.
fxop

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is going to sound weird, but my wife got rid of her neuropathy by going gluten-free. Nothin to lose . . .
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When one of my tendons flares up, I research its actuation source -- the position and action that stresses that tendon -- then find other ways to achieve the same force. Example: when my right lateral (outer) epicondyle tendon began to hurt chronically (at least -itis, maybe -opathy), I looked into my PT books and in just minutes found what combination of shoulder, humerus, elbow, forearm, wrist, and hand positions, rotations, and forces stress that tendon. When I put my arm and hand in that position, it was immediately obvious what it represented: pinching upwind on starboard in an overhand grip with my front hand on the forward curved section of the boom. Switching to underhand let the tendon rest so the inflammation (the -itis) went away. Taking it a step further and buying booms with straighter arms helped even more and let me alternate between overhand and underhand. Had I waited longer -- long enough for the temporary tendinitis to progress to chronic or permanent tendinopathy -- I’d have needed to also undergo a totally different treatment protocol. I’ve used the same process to identify and solve a number of arm and leg aches and pains induced by abusing my body in the quest for endorphins.

I’ve also gone to doctors and PTs for extensive and varied bouts of drugs, injections, surgeries, exercises, precautions, prohibitions, and dietary advice.

I like my way better when it works and I’m sure I’m not exacerbating some problem. Your problem this time, however, sounds more like nerve compression ... not something to treat so casually.
MrFish

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I used to sail FW stuff, I got it real bad in the forearms.

Acupuncture set me straight.

I will say though that there seems to be a huge difference in the quality of the acupuncturist. The one that finally worked for me was Chinese, trained in China, and the one that didn't work as well (but did help) was an American trained here.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fxop wrote:
I know this is going to sound weird, but my wife got rid of her neuropathy by going gluten-free. Nothin to lose . . .

Hey Bull! I did the same thing and I was 50% better. Then I started taking Wobenzym N and got even better. Although I must assume that you are such an awsome Macho guy that you'll just tough it out!!! Laughing

This newage stuff is just killing my machoness, Cool but giving me a better experience on the water. Hope to see you shreddin this summer.

PS, I've gotten used to drinking "gluten free" beer, and ordering gluten free food. The best gluten free beer is "Bards Beer". Really.
dabull1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for the 411. SW, you're killin' me man... I thought we were pals! Eva, we miss you! Mssr Bard, I'm going to try the Wob enzyme, did good things for a bout of sciatica a couple of years ago. Bull out...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: