myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing with torn toenails - please help
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MattD

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Windsurfing with torn toenails - please help Reply with quote

Hi, I'm currently on a windsurfing vacation in Hatteras and had a toenail accident. Managed to completely lift up my second toenail (still attached), and also damaged my third toenail.

Can anyone suggest the best way to protect and immobilize my two toenails while windsurfing? I will be wearing Atan split toe booties. I was thinking of using finger cots over each of the two toes, with perhaps neosporin and gauze underneath? I'd then clean the toes every night after sailing.

Does anyone have any suggestions here? I have 5 days of windsurfing ahead and would like to get out every day. Thanks!
rigitrite

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athletic tape or duct tape. Fold the tape over on itself so it won't stick to your skracked toenail, then rip a couple of 1/2" wide strips with the sticky side exposed and wrap em up, the put on your boots and sail.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OUCH !!!

And yeah, I think rigitrite's advice sounds good.

Greg Smile
JamesHardy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just suck-it-up and double down on your after sailing rum shots! I lost the nail off one of my big toes day one of a early spring Carlos trip, sailed the whole time. The only time it really gave me trouble was when it ripped off and the rest of that day, and then at every night of the trip night OUCH! Never under estimate the healing properties of Rum, if you drink enough of it, it will make you witty,smart, and irresistible to women! Or at least you can sleep until the pain brakes thru the dunking stupor.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

going to watch this, I have a similar toenail prob.

the booties would help, maybe not split toe.. ?
I think I would tape both the injured toes together, not use any splint type devise on them. Use waterproof white tape from the medicine department, not duck tape. Depending on how the foot goes into the booties, first apply some padding, gauze or band aides then tape over.

it may be better to go slight bigger on the bootie on that foot.

the protection provided by the bootie is worth staying with one.

I would clean daily at least with antiseptic liquid , and some creame after, the Neosporin with pain is good.

At this point you want to not cause FURTHER injury , some prevention and care, the rum can come after, and some pain pills will help the throbbing and inflammation

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
MattD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, guys. Going to clean with isopropyl alcohol, tape up individually with neosporin, gauze and 3M Nexcare waterproof medical tape. Not changing booties as I can't afford another pair, and mine are the biggest size they sell (at least with Atan brand). After sailing today I'm going to soak my toes in an epsom salt bath. Will report how it goes!
surfersbeach

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not on nails...

"He was actually sealing my blisters with Krazy Glue and duct tape! #"

Dean Karnazes

http://commonquote.com/source/4589/dean-karnazes/ultramarathon-man-confessions-of-an-all-night-runner
MattD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3M tape worked pretty well. Had some upside down tape covering the nail so it wouldn't stick, then a piece laterally, a piece longitudinally (stopping the nail lifting up), then another piece laterally. Doesn't stick to the skin super well, but sticks to itself well enough such that it stays on the toe.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kendall "Wet Pruf" waterproof tape will become one with your skin within a day. It is hands-down, class-all-by-itself, virtually infinitely superior to ANY other so-called "waterproof" tape I've ever tried. I've had other brands literally fall off with their first immersion, and Nexcare isn't far behind. Kendall, OTOH, sticks even tighter as the day goes on, and once left on overnight it is stuck so tightly that it's scary to remove it for fear of skinning yourself. (That hasn't happened yet, but you'd better not let that stuff stick to that toenail if you want to keep it.)

And I'm not just talking about parts that seldom get wet or abraded, like a cheek or forearm. I've put in on MANY torn-up feet ... soles, toes, arches, etc ... then sailed for days barefooted in and out of the straps and all over the beach all day without ever having Kendall come loose.

Any other kind of adhesive tape may as well be a strip of Kleenex or notebook paper by comparison.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surfersbeach wrote:
why not on nails...

"He was actually sealing my blisters with Krazy Glue and duct tape! #"

Dean Karnazes

http://commonquote.com/source/4589/dean-karnazes/ultramarathon-man-confessions-of-an-all-night-runner

Of course they use a glue in the hospital at times instead of stitches,

my wife works on a lot of horses and they use superglue all the time.

I would stay away from duck tape

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: