myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Carpal tunnel advice?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Carpal tunnel advice? Reply with quote

It appears that I have carpal tunnel from windsurfing. It's not bad, mostly just tingling in a few fingers, rarely ever pain. Still, I'd appreciate any suggestion from others who had/have this problem.

My symptoms usually come up after winter trips to Bonaire where I sail many days in a row, and 5-6 hours each day. My harness line placement is usually pretty good, I can let go of both hands briefly. I often have the thumbs on the same side as the fingers for a lighter grip, unless blisters make this uncomfortable. I like to sail a lot, though. 3-5 hours with minimal breaks are my idea of fun, and I've had a couple of days with more than 100 miles per day recently in Hatteras.

I just started wearing wrist guards, and they seem to help a bit. Do wrist/forearm strengthening exercises help? Which ones? When I had elbow tendonitis a couple of years back, eccentric wrist exercises with a FlexBar solved the problem within a few days.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the surgury in Nov2012 on my r.wrist , before it went numb while sailing and sleeping, cured that. I now have arthritics which appeared after the surgery, just in the same hand, its liveable with just a ivyprovin and some balm from time to time.

The primary goal was to improve my sailing, and from all sources was the only option. That past worked for me. It seems stronger since a month of sailing, but was slow to get strong again, my left is stronger, Iam right handed.

not being a DR , can only offer my thoughts, if you have a tingling and not numbness I would stay away from surgery, when it becomes more a PITA then consider, I was very reluctant to have this done, but it cured that part, and now said to open a new aliment with the arthritics

acupuncture may help along with the exercises

Take Care

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
nw30

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had both wrists done 2 1/2 years ago, had to miss an entire season because of that, but I'd do it all over again, no regrets.
I had the tingling for quite awhile in both hands, but then it got worse fairly rapidly. I had to take myself out of the water because I couldn't hold onto the booms anymore, only after about 10 minutes of sailing.
I'd wake up in the morning, and my hands would feel like concrete, could barely move them, it took both hands just to turn the car key to start the engine, my hand strength was all but gone.
Had some interesting tests, one involving electrical shocks on both arms to isolate which nerves were effected, not painful, but somewhat shocking.
Anyway, I had it pretty bad, only surgery was going to fix them, I had no choice, I was rapidly becoming useless.

So my doc says that I could save some money and recovery time if I was to have both wrists done at the same time "if you are willing to put up with some unique issues". I said no, one at a time if you please, I wasn't willing to put my sweet baby thru that kind of help, if you know what I mean, as well as not being able to drive.
Anyway about 9 months later I was as good as new, actually better, my doc said "I've taken about 30 years off your wrists, but for the rest of your body? Well you're on your own."
I did a lot of flat water SUPing for rehab, it really helped get me back pretty quick.
Been sailing harder and better now days, than I have in at least the last 5 years.

I can easily see how in times past, or even now in poorer countries, how CTS would be a crippling condition that would basically put you out of the work force, and leave you a crippled mess for what was left of your life.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I advise doing a lot of Googling as part of your research. Many factors contribute to CT syndrome, and each has its own treatment options, ranging from additional vitamin B6 to corrective surgery. IMO, patients need to know a lot about their ailments before consulting doctors, at the very least enough to know when we're facing a surgeon who's behind on his yacht payments or simply doesn't keep up with the research. The consequences of stethoscope idolization can be dire.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spend more time hooked in, less time hooked out.
Wear and tear, your grip isn't meant to be used 3-5 hours, unless you're a trapeze artist, all of whom have tunnel carpal.
gobbdogg

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second what Isobars says- but with the caveat that not all docs are after your $.. however, you do have to be your own advocate and do the research- it might not even be carpal tunnel- Lyme disease, which is epidemic in the NE, has symptoms which can mimic CT.. i.e. the tingling and numbness.
Do not assume any one doctor has the story for you in particular.. Find out as much as possible ahead of time and if the doc isn't into having an open discussion about your problem, and just wants to give you a script and send you home, find another doc... If they talk down to me or don't want to consider alternative explanations and or treatments, I'm outta there.
I use my hands and arms daily in my work and have lots of issues with strain, tendonitis and yes, Lyme- but it comes and goes and some days I can't do as much or sail quite as long- usually winter with gloves...but you learn what to do and what not to do- and what not to eat...
Please don't jump into surgery without exploring all the options- including time and exercise and definitely diet too.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my wrist continues to improve.

For the surgery discussion: we are customers of the Doctor, so YES
let the buyer beware.

IMO the recovery time is much longer than they quote, more like 6 months,
but having had mine in Nov I have missed NO sailing, and started in Mid April.

in the case of surgery you always need to be aware of potential problems

I will add one other thought on surgery, I would not use any opinions here as the focal point in my decision making. ANY

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bolded headlined article in todays paper. (Daily Mail - page 11.)

General anaesthetic for over 65s 'raises risk of dementia by 35%.'

According to a recent study brain changes caused by the anaesthetic could lead to Alzheimers within a few years. Even if not the end result, it states that cognitive function in the elderly can be badly impaired. long after the initial reaction to the aneasthetic has worn off.

According to the French Institute of Health and Medical Research, and the University of Bordeaux, 9% of 632 people studied (some only had local anaesthetics) developed dementia, anything up to 8 years afterwards. Most of those were diagnosed with Alzheimers.

Beware!
keycocker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are getting blisters you can improve your loose grip practices. We sail at a reef break miles away up wind. Too far to go home so a 3 to 5 hr single session is the norm.
Most of us can drop our back hand until the next turn, which in our site can be 15 minute reaches.
We had to learn to fingertip it all the time to make it at our site.
No blisters, few callouses despite 300 days a year.
When pointing moving the front line forward an inch helps lighten the load on your wrists.
Remember to move it back on reaches and downwinds.
keycocker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are getting blisters you can improve your loose grip practices. We sail at a reef break miles away up wind. Too far to go home so a 3 to 5 hr single session is the norm.
Most of us can drop our back hand until the next turn, which in our site can be 15 minute reaches.
We had to learn to fingertip it all the time to make it at our site.
No blisters, few callouses despite 300 days a year.
When pointing moving the front line forward an inch helps lighten the load on your wrists.
Remember to move it back on reaches and downwinds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: