myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing with a knee brace

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nodak

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Windsurfing with a knee brace Reply with quote

Has anyone sailed with a knee brace? Any particular one recommended particularly for windsurfing? Ace ones look really clumsy.

Myself had a patellar fracture last Jan., so I'm looking for a bit of stabilizing and some patellar cushion.
donlord

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sail sometimes with a brace, due to two torn knee ligaments and two torn spots on two areas of meniscus which I managed to create in a bad chop hop in April, 2012 at SI. The knee is STILL recuperating, it seems.
The best ones are Donjoy braces, but you will need to have expert advice as to which Donjoy to buy and how to put it on. A Sports Medicine Physical Therapist can help, or someone who specializes in Donjoy sales.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailed maybe 90 days one season with a single side hinge brace, double velcro wraps above and below the knee. It keeps out hyperextension, limits full flexion, and keeps the lower leg aligned with the upper.
Had a torn medial collateral. Wore if over a 4/3 wetsuit.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Windsurfing with a knee brace Reply with quote

A custom fit DonJoy would be a 1st alternative, but if you don't have $300,
(or more) one of these is reasonably good.

http://www.braceplanet.com/Powerform-Polycentric-Hinged-Composite-Knee-Brace.html?gclid=CJKH18WFrbcCFa5DMgod8U0AKg

I use one over the top of my wetsuit when my knee acts up.
You need to wear it tight for it to be effective.

The Walmart variety short braces (even with metal hinges), are pretty useless.

-Craig

nodak wrote:
Has anyone sailed with a knee brace? Any particular one recommended particularly for windsurfing? Ace ones look really clumsy.

Myself had a patellar fracture last Jan., so I'm looking for a bit of stabilizing and some patellar cushion.
nodak

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My physical therapy is over and the therapist removed all restrictions on activity. So it's a matter of building my leg muscles back at this point.

Question is which of the DonJoy braces is do I get for sailing?
isobars

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd let my sports orthopedist make that call, after explaining to him the forces we're subject to.
hitech

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been wearing McDavid neoprene brace for stabilization for many years without difficulty. Works over wetsuit or bare leg. Once on, I don't even know it is there.
rexi

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Össur is a company that has been making prosthetics and braces for professional athletes. They make kneebraces specially for watersports. Damn expensive but some windsurfers have been using them and i´ve heard good things.

Here is the product that pro wakeboarder Phil soven has been using.
http://www.ossur.com/?PageID=13216
Arrgh

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braces, like all "medical devices," are marked up astronomically (no surprise there.) People get braces post-surgically and then sell them to recover their copay. If you know exactly what you want/need, and you can wait a little for it, ebay is the place.

Last edited by Arrgh on Tue May 28, 2013 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
nw30

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodyglove makes a neoprene knee brace with a hole for the patella.
That's what I've been using for about 20 years under my wetsuit (ocean sailing only). Seems to me that if you fractured your patella, you'd want padding around it to give it lateral support, some on top for padding, but more around it for support.
Got mine at Big 5, they still have them, all neoprene, no hardware, you can even trim the hole for the patella to a custom fit, no two are alike.
That's all I use, but I have to wear a wetsuit all the time, so with the knee padding on the wetsuit, and the brace underneath, it makes a good system. I'm on my third one, I think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: