myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Rigging the boom end in 3 seconds
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes, Indeed Reply with quote

yvanboniec wrote:
Because of my strenght, I broke a rigging instrument. I had to manufacture another one in steel, which I will show later.

These plastic things are notorious for failing, and I was advised to keep away from them because you can cut yourself badly when they break. Your new instrument is an improvement compared to the commercial version. (In contrast with your new outhaul system)
yvanboniec

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: ToDennis Reply with quote

"Also, about your new boom end. I presume you bent some kind of metal tubing to make it"

It is an old boom end. I remove the plastic part that held the cleat once the cleat worn off after only a year of sailing.

Reasons for doing everything myself.

There are no suppliers around. I have to import everything which is slow, notoriously expensive and bad for the environment (think about air transportation).

Plenty of cheap manpower to do everything under my supervision (but I give them a generous tip for their help)

Do-It-Yourself is a personal hobby

My gear will last longer than commercial gear.

Sustainaility concern (recycling or repairing is better than new equipment purchase)

Last edited by yvanboniec on Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:27 am; edited 1 time in total
whitevan01

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: ToDennis Reply with quote

yvanboniec wrote:
"
My gear will last longer than commercial gear.

Well, you've already broken two pieces of commercial gear.
outhaul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This (op) could very well be the silliest thing I've seen on this forum. Just learn to thread the boom and take pride in doing it right.
inf2003

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted: 23 Jul 2013 02:17    Post subject:
Quote:
This (op) could very well be the silliest thing I've seen on this forum. Just learn to thread the boom and take pride in doing it right.

I agree adding all that lead to the boom end has lots of disadvantages and no advantages. Just plain silly!!!
yvanboniec

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know everyone is impressed.

The cleat is lighter than the platic cover (that part with the holes) that I removed from the boom end.

Instead of doing 4 loops that divides the tension by 4, take a cleat that is 4 times stronger.

It works very well.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, good on ya Yvan. There's a need for more eccentrics in this dull world.

Personally, I prefer to tear off and fling these silly poncy boom end fittings with their ridiculous pulleys, tiny holes, and barmy plastic cleats. A simple man sized hole drilled through the boom end with a hooked (to lock into the sail ring) and threaded steel rod with nut on the end is far better. Five sixteenth Whitworth should be he-man enough to screw some real outhaul on the sail, with the spanner taped to the boom end just in case you get a little overpowered and need re=adjust at sea.

Just remember to stick a big chunk of polystyrene over the poking out rod end (aerodynamically shaped, of course - think how much easier clearing the clew end and water starting would be- in case you poke your eye out Duck Gybing.

Just ignore all these detractors, and keep up the good work mate. Wink
yvanboniec

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: To PP Reply with quote

Exactly, those oversized pink-colored plastic boom ends would only look good at your local prom night.

Last edited by yvanboniec on Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
Yeah, good on ya Yvan. There's a need for more eccentrics in this dull world.

I completely agree. Though I think you should conclude that your invention is ultimately not superior to Outhaul's suggestion of learning to tie off the clew properly. Your jibes will appreciate it!

Goofy windsurfing inventions I have made (or tried to make) include an emergency fold-out fin, a mast track leash to prevent loss of rig in case of Uni breakage, a mast track stopper to prevent mast feet from sliding out, and a super narrow hose attachment to rinse sand out of batten pockets.

inf2003

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess everyones right about being creative. That being said yvanboniec's ideas and thread have inspired me to further expand upon and improve his new invention. The problems I see are being able to adjust outhaul on the water and loss of the mechanical advantage. I think my new invention (with parts available at a local hardware store) may solve those two problems. What do yall think?

winch.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  21.83 KB
 Viewed:  11942 Time(s)

winch.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: