myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Rigging the boom end in 3 seconds
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yvanboniec

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Another brilliant idea of mine Reply with quote

"That boom end/cleat anchor very likely wore out (failed!) because you're running the line through the sail grommet only once. Each pass through the grommet reduces line tension dramatically; just the second pass alone cuts the pull on that cleat by about 50%. The cleat anchor wasn't designed to carry a single-pass load. "

In fact, not even once. The line went directly thought the cleat without a loop.

To tell you the truth, I have done it with 10mm thick rope for about a year without any problem.

Here is my new homemade boom end with cleat screwed to the boom end (you can't see the screws because they are hiden by the rope) and no loop (straight only).

I can't wait to try it in strong winds. Wether I am going to impress the crowds or embarass myself is still open to debate.

the2SecondRigging.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.77 MB
 Viewed:  10800 Time(s)

the2SecondRigging.JPG

isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next thing to break will be your outhaul line. Ready to swim? It's just not sized to carry that much load ... 4 to 8 times the intended load. A company used to make synthetic outhaul hooks tested to something like 800 pounds in the lab. They kept breaking in actual use.

Take the extra 10-12 seconds and do it right. One swim wipes out years of 10-second segments.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"To tell you the truth, I have done it with 10mm thick rope for about a year without any problem."

Wow, using 10mm line for outhaul. No question, that's unique. I can see why you elected to bypass threading the line through a number of points on the boom end. Fitting that size line through a product designed for 4-5mm line would have been a royal pain in the ass.

I have to ask, what size line are you using for the downhaul?
yvanboniec

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: You will be impressed Reply with quote

Downhaul line size is still a standard 6 mm.

I am using dyneema cord, which proved strong enough for my borat-style invention. The cord did not show any sign of fatigue, only the cleat. And it did not really matter since I have 200 meters of 10mm thick rope in my store room.

Last edited by yvanboniec on Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
yvanboniec

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Be a winner Reply with quote

"Wow, using 10mm line for outhaul. No question, that's unique. I can see why you elected to bypass threading the line through a number of points on the boom end. Fitting that size line through a product designed for 4-5mm line would have been a royal pain in the ass."

At first, I used an electric drill to enlarge the holes for my 10mm line. After I grew tired of passing the lines through these points at the boom end, I decided to attach the lines directly to the cleat.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the picture of your original boom end, it looks like it was designed for a loop and go system.

question: how do you get enough outhaul with only one line? you must be pretty strong.
yvanboniec

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Yes, Indeed Reply with quote

Because of my strenght, I broke a rigging instrument. I had to manufacture another one in steel, which I will show later.

RiggingInstrument.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  115.29 KB
 Viewed:  10719 Time(s)

RiggingInstrument.JPG

isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
The next thing to break will be your outhaul line.

10 mm Dyneema? Never mind. Wink
yvanboniec

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: No Reply with quote

10 mm rope was bought at local hard ware store.

I had to build my own tensionning handle with tube of steel and tape.

SteelTensioningSystem.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.91 MB
 Viewed:  10714 Time(s)

SteelTensioningSystem.JPG

whitevan01

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, let's review (not making fun of you, I just think this is interesting), in your effort to save a few seconds of rigging time, you've now:

a. built a new rear boom end
b. made a new rig tool

Didn't those two things take time to do?

Also, about your new boom end. I presume you bent some kind of metal tubing to make it, and drilled a hole through the middle of the bend that your outhaul line passes through. Did you deburr the hole? The outhaul could chafe on it and get cut straight through.

Seems like an awful lot of work when all this has already been worked out and there is stuff that works readily available, which you had to begin with.

It would have been good if you had come up with an improvement over what is commercially available, but....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: