myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Broken mast in search of gaastra 400 bottom
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gronquist

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the unfortunate displeasure of witnessing Mike Cole's encounter with the JDT (Jalama Dump Truck). I still wince and cring as the whole thing replays as I saw it. (In fact, Mike tell's me he keeps waking at night in a cold sweat....beware the JDT to all ye who venture to the J)
benpfree1

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steven,

if you are in Santa Cruz, drop me a note, I'd like to meet you. benjaminpink at gmail dot com

see ya, Ben
benpfree1

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone needs one, I have a bottom section of a Powerex 430 RDM 85% mast. I broke the top section. If you need it I can sell it cheap. in santa cruz.

Ben
DAVIBO

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: rdm bottoms Reply with quote

don't know if it helps, but I have inexpensive almost new RDM 370 nolimitz and more used 430 & 460 powerx all RDMs - also have 2 HPL 100% carbon booms in almost new condition previously owned by an 80yr old sailor who just quit sailing - so no real heavy use, certainly no wave or jumping you can email me @ bdusaxx@gmail if your interested
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xander.arch,

No Limitz sells bottoms and tops separately. Also, when buying a new mast, you can mix and match different different RDM models (Original Gray and Sumo). I bought a Sumo top to match with my Original bottom to stiffen up the top part of the mast.
dabull1

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: MAST DISTRESS Reply with quote

While we're at it lads and lasses, would anyone have a lower section for a standard Gulftech 100% carbon 460 cm mast? Or, does anyone need a top section for said mast? I can verify Mssr. Bards claim of mast carnage, we're both big boys! Hasta, Bull
MrFish

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masts are generally quite fixable, especially RDMs.

I've been 2 seasons now on a repaired RDM that snapped right near the bottom.

Basically, you find a mast section from an older mast that will slide / fit tightly over the break, slide it down and epoxy it.
gerritt

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrFish wrote:
Masts are generally quite fixable, especially RDMs.

The last thing I want to worry about is whether my repaired mast is going to hold up when 2 miles out on the bay, or in winter conditions on the coast. Hell, I don't want it to break anywhere. Buy a new bottom or top.

No Limitz and Ezzy (made for Ezzy by No Limitz) both sell bottoms and tops separately.

Of all the pieces of gear you can save money on, your mast should be the last. A broken mast can lead to the loss of your entire kit (even your life), depending where you sail.
xander.arch

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixing it would be great but sounds pretty tough given that mine broke just below the ferrule on the male side. For the gaastra masts the plug (male) side is the lower portion. This means mine broke where the plug is glued into the top of the male side. At least I hope it was glued. More likely it was cast into the mast during the layup process.

Anyway, there may be a way to cut the remaining plug off the bottom and then epoxy in a new one. This will require me finding a perfect fit plug which would have to be at least 14" (7" glued into the bottom section with 7" remaining for the top. I'd like to think this is doable. It might even work just fine, but I'd be nervous as hell sailing this thing anywhere more than a football field's distance from shore.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, it would be better for your health to start smoking crack than to take a repaired mast out on the ocean!! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: