myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Harness line length, is 22 in. too short?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two of my booms were older chinook aluminum booms that were used frequently in saltwater. They had the older rigid boom head and broke right where the booms attach. I also broke a rental boom (also aluminum in saltwater) so I HIGHLY recommend insurance when renting (also put my head through a sail by just carrying it on my head!).

Chinook has since upgraded their boom head 2 or 3 times to make it more adaptive to the flexes of the boom. However since then I have changed to carbon, and sail mostly the Gorge with an annual visit to SPI (salt water). Hmm, I also tend to jump hooked in, but then again, these are not big jumps.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottwerden wrote:
I think that and sailing habits (like jumping while hooked in) have more to do with boom breakage than anything else.

I agree, but I have had two DaKine SS hooks snap with a helluva retort when hit by extreme gusts on big (for me) sails.

I've never had a Reactor roller bar fail if the screw is kept snug, including the big hooked-in jump that blew up my knee.
yargerd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
I agree, but I have had two DaKine SS hooks snap with a helluva retort when hit by extreme gusts on big (for me) sails.

I've never had a Reactor roller bar fail if the screw is kept snug, including the big hooked-in jump that blew up my knee.

That all makes sense. I know a kiter that had one snap. It made a big mess. The reactor bar is definitely a design with fewer stress concentrations... Especially at a welded joint.
bwill808

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yargerd wrote:
Nothing in the previous comments indicates that line length had anything to do with the boom breaking... nothing. I'd bet that the amount of force seen by a boom with long lines in the same place and short lines spread a reasonable amount apart is well within the design limitations of a boom. Would a good boom designer make a boom that would likely fail under the circumstances pictured? No.

What brand of boom was that? How old is it? I have broken one boom at the center of harness lines. It was a no-name POS carbon boom. Now, I use proven carbon booms that are in good condition.

Chinook aluminum cheapo sailed in the salt water allot. Broke another cheapo today in Hawaii. Is carbon stronger than aluminum don't give a crap about weight,
bwill808

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yargerd wrote:
Nothing in the previous comments indicates that line length had anything to do with the boom breaking... nothing. I'd bet that the amount of force seen by a boom with long lines in the same place and short lines spread a reasonable amount apart is well within the design limitations of a boom. Would a good boom designer make a boom that would likely fail under the circumstances pictured? No.

What brand of boom was that? How old is it? I have broken one boom at the center of harness lines. It was a no-name POS carbon boom. Now, I use proven carbon booms that are in good condition.

Chinook aluminum cheapo sailed in the salt water allot. Broke another cheapo today in Hawaii. Is carbon stronger than aluminum don't give a crap about weight,

My booms r cgwa swap meet free bee frankinstine booms with different peices together
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least carbon booms don't corrode from the inside in salt water like aluminums do.
Georges

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
At least carbon booms don't corrode from the inside in salt water like aluminums do.

Brilliant observation Shocked
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One factor to consider in choosing harness line length is lateral tennis tendinopathy, aka tennis elbow. One of its specific causes is full extension of the arm coupled with force. The closest thing to a cure for tendinopathy is months -- sometimes 6-12 -- of rest.

Or shorter lines, if the above triggered it.

I chose the latter, and it worked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Page 13 of 13

Jump to: