myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
another harness question, sort of

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhanson928

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: another harness question, sort of Reply with quote

I came back to windsurfing last summer after about 10yrs of not sailing. Most of it has come back without too much problem but I catch my frigging harness during my jibes, probably about once a day....Hate that! but I can't recall how I used to do hundreds of jibes a day without once catching that dang Reactor roller and going down. I sail swells mostly and try to do most jibes with a bit of laydown of the sail to de-power a bit....then when I go to flip the sail....it snags in the harness and jerks me off...the board.
Any advice? Been trying to recall, but 10+ years away is a long time.
dcfordo

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had that problem too.

I avoid it by:

Raising my boom. I'm 5'9" and if the boom is in the middle of the cutout my lines will occasionally catch. Now I try to keep it in the upper half, which probably makes me more efficient also.

Turning my lines in so they hang straight down. This makes is slightly harder to hook in, but no big deal.

Being aware of my lines before I flip the sail. There are enough things to be aware of in a jibe, but this works.

Short lines would solve the problem, but don't do it!

IN MY OPINION, short lines are a crutch which are used by sailors progressing through the intermediate phase to deal with the high winds in the gorge. This is why they are so common here. Some get quite good this way and still keep the short lines they are used to. But it limits improvement in the long run. Longer lines are more efficient and lead to better technique.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one BEST cure is to bend ze knees, YOURS!
dcfordo

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooo... I like it.

Another solution that is also better technique.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're getting caught up in your lines during your jibe it sure sounds like you're too close to your rig, probably because you're feeling the power in your sail and that's the natural reaction. Like zirtaeb said bend your knees and keep your sail out on front of you. It's much easier to flip the sail when you leave yourself room to do so.
philodog

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditto on rotating the harness lines in a bit. If they are sticking out it`s a magnet for your hook. If the bottom of the lines are just a little past vertical towards the sail it`s practically impossible to hook them accidentally. Simple as that. Unless of course you have old floppy lines in which case get new stiff ones.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My stiff harness lines hang down, but the G forces in a quick sail snap still send them outward. If my knees are properly bent, though, the lines can't reach my hook during the spin. On the good side, if I straighten my knees at just the right time, the extended line hooks itself in just as I grab the new side of the boom and plant both switched feet onto the deck on the new broad reach, hooked in, sheeted in, near or in the straps. Done that way, hooking in involuntarily is a good thing.
dhanson928

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, well every so often when I switch feet after a jib or in the middle of a ride, I sometimes stick my back foot right into the 'new' upside foot strap. That's pretty fun..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: