myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Watch out for mad, dangerous kiter
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Watch out for mad, dangerous kiter Reply with quote

Because a WSer passed this kiter from behind, >30 feet upwind of him, he chased the WSer for several reaches and very deliberately rammed him head-on when he got the chance. The police were called, spent an hour talking to both parties and a solid eyewitness, but made no arrest because the uninjured target did not file assault charges and there were no witnesses to the kiter's slightly veiled threat to attack him with a knife once back onshore. The kiter did walk over, bend over, and peer into his target's vehicle later.

As I talked with the kiter for 30-40 minutes later to calm him down and to try to assess his threat level, he stated repeatedly that he had a bad temper, bore grudges for days, had "anxiety problems" on the water, and demanded that no one get within several mast lengths of him on the water. He whined that HE was the one rammed ... ludicrous according to two close and closely watching witnesses.

This was out east Monday, with acres of empty space for each sailor. The kiter was screaming obscenities at anyone who came within hearing range of him, which is hard to avoid when pinching upwind on a waveboard to pass him from behind.

The kiter is in the Gorge on vacation from BC, and should be watched very closely. He's about 6 feet tall, quite lean, 30-ish, thick mop of dark brown hair, animated talker, with a slight accent I couldn't pin down. French, maybe? He drives an old blue-green Dodge Caravan with a crudely-finished hand-crafted fiberglass aerodynamic topper box about 15" high for his gear. For your own safety, stay away from him and keep an eye out for others who haven't read this; he's dangerous and unstable, according to his actions, his own statements, and his own ex-friends. I hope his next victim files charges; he needs to be stopped before he injures someone.

Last edited by isobars on Wed May 15, 2013 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
mot-manhead

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOU WILL KNOW WHEN YOU MEET HIM BY HIS FOWL MOUTH I THINK THE NAME OF BENNY
wdsurf

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: nuts kiter Reply with quote

at manzanitia one june day a fellow wdsurfer did the same to me ranting and raving!was about noon wind came up head high swell this guy comes out does a big back loop on the outside wave then disappears. i knew something happened but could not find him in the waves i cruised in and out for 45 mins. looking for him since i was the only one out.then i came in and my wife says he went way downwind broke his joint upon landing.swam in with the rig board came in fine i saw neither him swimming with the rig or board!he comes up to me a couple hours later after i took a break and giving me the riot act in french mfning me up and down!i told him calm down i tried to help but never saw him or gear.he wounldn,t quit as i walked away kept following me ranting at me i had 6ins. and 40forty lbs. on him told him in english that he better not write a check his ass coulnd,t cash he didnt understand that.i just ignored him he went away after the local sheriff happened byand had a talk with him as he was sceaming at me by my van.theres basket cases everywhere!these other canadians said he had a big mouth and caused trouble up north a ski areas.napolean complex Question
isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mouth sounds right. Has anyone observed him do anything like that before? If so, his threat level just went up, he really needs to be prosecuted, and a good chance for that was missed yesterday. Given his behavior in this extremely uncrowded day -- literally > 50 acres per sailor -- imagine how he'd go off on a midsummer Hatchery crowd. Last night's cops came from an hour or two away, so they take this kind of stuff seriously. What he did even before the knife threat and lying to police officers appears to meet the RCW (WA state law) standards of First Degree Assault, a Class A felony good for up to 20 years in a state prison. Even a much lesser assault is grounds for up to 10 years in state prison and a $20,0000 fine.

My talk with him yesterday was deliberately pleasant. If I ever see him again, I will threaten him outright with filing such charges if he gives me ANY cause. I hope everyone else will do the same, as yesterday's obviously premeditated attack was potentially life-threatening. I'm beginning to wonder if he's the kiter we watched repeatedly bombing WSers with his board from 30 feet up at Rufus a few years ago.
4kus

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was just posted on our Bigwavedave.ca website

We can all only be apologetic that such a person from BC with an obvious and unfortunate mental disorder visits your amazing mecca of wind and swell and causes mayhem...we must hope that our BC, Canadian reputation of being good-natured, helpful and friendly is not too badly tarnished by this one individual Evil or Very Mad

As for the foul mouth, well, that could have been a few of us Embarassed Cool
isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No tarnish on BC, on Canadians, on foul mouths, or on kiters. I mentioned those aspects only to help get him (and his vehicle with BC plates) identified, evaluated, and if appropriate, incarcerated before he injures someone or someone else gets police attention for putting him in a prison hospital where he belongs.
teabagvic

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Isobars, can you please change your title to "Watch Out for Psychopath/Disturbed/Dangerous kiter? (or something to that effect) ???
And then describe this kiter description in the actual post.

Why do you have to put it in the main title? Is he kiteboarding with a huge Canadian flag on his back? Is he kiteboarding with huge plastic license plate on his back, or on his kite?

Is he the only Canadian kiteboarder/windsurfer driving a minivan that goes there?

The main characteristic for people to recognize him at first will be the:

Foul Mouth Quebec French Accent, Tall, (use to have long hair not sure anymore) in his late thirty mid forty. Can u tell the difference when looking at an American / Canadian ???
Really, we physically look similar.

The fact that he is Canadian, Romanian, American, black, white, asian, native, whatever else doesnt matter since based on the description above people will be able to know thats the guy standing in front of them.

And, let say he didnt have an obvious description to easily recognize him (tall and slim / foul mouth / french accent/ no social skills / you still should not put his nationality/race in the main title, you just dont do that.)

Thanks for changing the title, Ian.

P.S This guy is more than likely "Benito"...

Spent a summer in Nitinaht Lake 2009 and 2010.He was more of a "quiet / better person" in 2010, probably after noticing a general social rejection from most people due to foul mouth / social awkwardness from 2009. But was never aggressive from what I witness. I was actually happy to see the change in him in 2010. (still would not have spend more than a 20 min conversation with him)

But now, threatening someone with a knife? That is quite scary. Can u guys carry loaded gun in your car in the U.S???? If so you just took scary to a new level...

Seriously, if this guy was threatening me with only a knife while there was witness around, I would jump on that occasion and apply "legitimate defense" (I am pretty sure that you can get away with causing lots of damage to someone that threatened you with a knife, "I wanted to make sure he would not stand up again and cut me)

Still not sure where ill be kiting this long weekend, so please let me know of the area he is currently riding. Not saying ill go for sure, but if I go Ill make sure to kite 5-10 feet from him till he lose it.

And PLEASE, remove the Canadian in the title!!!
isobars

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea. Done. Sorry about that; I didn't think that part through well.

He claims to be trying to back off from too much drug use -- a good thing -- yet got angry at his target when he found out the target had no pot.

My "knife" comment reference was deliberately vague, because it wasn't clear what his actual words, as relayed to the rest of us, meant. Something like, "If we'd been in Oregon and I had a knife ...", whatever that means. What it meant to the police was, "This is serious. We're sending out two squad cars from >70 miles away."

Millions of us, myself and my wife included, are expressly licensed to carry a loaded gun just about anywhere, any time, any way we wish, in our car, pants, underwear, in most states and on our hips or duct taped to our foreheads in some states. MANY states, including mine, allow any resident to get concealed carry permits simply for the asking as long as they have no criminal record. Millions more of us ignore all that and carry anyway without bothering with licenses. Virtually all of us have the legal right to use a gun to defend ourselves from a ramming or a knife, particularly if the offender is not rational, as with this guy. Unfortunately in this case, most guns are quite inconvenient on the water.

He got very lucky that day. The guy he rammed is beefy but too laid back to press charges (simply signing his name on a complaint would have had the guy taken away in handcuffs and prosecuted by the state for felony assault.) If it turns out this isn't his first such offense -- ESPECIALLY if I believed he was the guy at Rufus mentioned above -- I will ask his target to consider pressing charges; I suspect he still can. Had the kiter chosen different targets who were there that day, he may have been in a prison hospital at this moment.
Nukin

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK maybe Isobars should change it to French Canadian. It seems some people from Quebec have a sense of entitlement because they see themselves as a oppressed Canadian minority.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested only in his behavior that is dangerous to others. His endless excuses, lies, real reasons, root causes, potty mouth, etc. are not my problem, but implying knife threats, aggressively interfering with my WSing, or eating my lunch WOULD BE my problem and will be HIS problem. I'm going to phone that sheriff's office today to inquire what our legal and personal options are about this incident, any previous such incidents, and any future such crime this lunatic may perpetrate. His target Monday or any of the people he (if that was him) assaulted at Rufus could easily have drowned if knocked unconscious. That and his subsequent comments about a knife, his uncontrollable anger and impulses, and his harboring long term grudges make him a serious public menace who must be dealt with by the law or at least within the law.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: