myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
1st and 2nd Amendments under attack
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty selective on your part Isobars. Did you fail to read the statistics on the gun related crime?

I think I'm starting to understand your personal need for firearms given some of your posts I've read. I think I would feel the same way if I were you. Oh and the shoulder to sternum part is laughable. There's no way you would do that as I'm sure you shoulder must be messed up from patting yourself on the back so much.
keycocker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coboard.
I think the definition of guns is so broad it confuses the debate. Rural ownership of hunting rifles is usual in the Dakotas , and has never been at the center of the debate with those who support gun control.
It is used as camouflage for those who sell pistols and assault rifles for a living.
If I can't sell missile launchers to teenagers, its because they are taking your rifles away.

The NRA has been telling that lie since I was a kid, and otherwise smart folks here are still repeating.
Doesnt matter how often it has been proven to be BS through several generation of suckers.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reinerehlers wrote:
Pretty selective on your part Isobars. Did you fail to read the statistics on the gun related crime?

the shoulder to sternum part is laughable.

A criminal assailant doesn't need a gun to kill or gravely harm me, so gun crimes narrow the threat FAR too much.

The skier on the sternum end of my shoulder after he T-boned my fiance twice in a full tuck wasn't laughing about it. He was just trying to find some air, and has never forgotten that day some 45 years ago.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

The skier on the sternum end of my shoulder after he T-boned my fiance twice in a full tuck wasn't laughing about it. He was just trying to find some air, and has never forgotten that day some 45 years ago.

Good thing the skier never had a gun on him or I guess he could have shot you. Oh, the irony of it all. I guess after you were dead he could have fought the charges in court and probably won. Who's to say who instigated the conflict. He could have claimed he made a simple error and some nut came at him. Sound familiar? He could have claimed he was on Ski Hill Watch.....
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reinerehlers wrote:
Good thing the skier never had a gun on him or I guess he could have shot you. ... He could have claimed he made a simple error

Centerpunching her twice, at full speed, on a novice slope, and leaving the scene as fast as he could without even coming out of his tuck is not a simple error; it is a crime in some states, at least a misdemeanor in others. Besides, I suspect he was in no shape to fight, or hit my fiance a third time, after I had my little meeting with him. He's lucky he hadn't injured her.

Let me guess: you'd have simply asked him not to knock your lady flying again ... eh?
coboardhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker wrote:
Coboard.
I think the definition of guns is so broad it confuses the debate. Rural ownership of hunting rifles is usual in the Dakotas , and has never been at the center of the debate with those who support gun control.
It is used as camouflage for those who sell pistols and assault rifles for a living.
If I can't sell missile launchers to teenagers, its because they are taking your rifles away.

The NRA has been telling that lie since I was a kid, and otherwise smart folks here are still repeating.
Doesnt matter how often it has been proven to be BS through several generation of suckers.

What also confuses the debate is to have any argument about gun control that compares the USA to either Canada or Australia. We have different cultures, social values and, yes, racial issues that make these comparisons invalid. My comment regarding the Dakotas was meant to show that there are places in the US with lower homicide rates than either of these countries regardless of gun ownership. This comparison is also meaningless unless one looks at the entire issue and not cherry pick the statistics as pretty much everyone on this forum has done on this subject.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

Centerpunching her twice, at full speed, on a novice slope, and leaving the scene as fast as he could without even coming out of his tuck is not a simple error; it is a crime in some states, at least a misdemeanor in others. Besides, I suspect he was in no shape to fight, or hit my fiance a third time, after I had my little meeting with him. He's lucky he hadn't injured her.

Really wouldn't matter a whole lot if he shot you in self defence now would it have? A judge would've been left to figure that out after you were dead. Who knows a guy who might intentionally hit someone while skiing putting himself and others in danger just might also have no problem putting a slug in your head. Is it sinking in yet? NO! Didn't think so.

isobars wrote:
Let me guess: you'd have simply asked him not to knock your lady flying again ... eh?

There you go with more assumptions. Yup at 6'0" and 200 lbs you got me all figured out now don't you.
maxdownhaul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coboard, I don't think that the cultures, and social values are too different between Australia & the US. We may have different racial issues, but Australia is a very multicultural society with many similar racial tensions experienced elsewhere around the world. We definitely are not free of crime like Isos' aging statistics say. It is true that you can cherry pick statistics like saying Wyoming has one of the highest per capita gun ownership & a low gun death rate & Washington DC has one of the lowest ownership and and the highest death rate. I would assume from these stats that that the type of guns in Wyoming (and Dakota)would mostly be comparable to what is allowed in Australia, that is for hunting or sport.
I now understand that the gun nut lobby you guys have over there are the same as groups such as those who believe in thing such as homeopathy, creationism, 9-11 conspiracies and other false sciences. No matter what science or statistics are posed to them, there is no chance they will accept the facts.
PS Off topic I just read some of the WS threads and missed Isobar doing the ACL injury. Get well soon.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxdownhaul wrote:
I now understand that the gun nut lobby you guys have over there are the same as groups such as those who believe in thing such as homeopathy, creationism, 9-11 conspiracies and other false sciences. No matter what science or statistics are posed to them, there is no chance they will accept the facts.

Speaking of facts about gun nut beliefs, you left out inbreeding, the 600-year-old earth, homophobia, bestiality, trailer parks, geophagy, and the most common, most powerful, and most rational phobia of all:liberalophobia.

The left's primary fear seems to be lincolndouglasophobia -- the fear of honest debate.

Last edited by isobars on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:05 am; edited 2 times in total
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They chose Canada and Australia because they claim to be from those nations, and chose to compare them to the U.S. because that's the current hotbed of gun control issues. Logical in both cases.

I chose the likelihood of assault because it's much more relevant than a subset thereof such as getting shot, especially shot in the right forearm by a left-handed 6-foot woman from Monaco using a .50-caliber Derringer. Also logical, as the credibility of the assault far outweighs its means.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 12 of 33

Jump to: