myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mistral Malibu?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm of the opinion that you should pass on the Malibu, and instead, put your energy into the Rocket. I sailed for about a year and a half on an F2 11'10" Strato and I had everything down except a waterstart. In fact, I never even tried to waterstart on the Strato because I got to a stage where I didn't really fall in much. But, when I bought my first shortboard, a 9'5" Seatrend about the same volume as your Rocket, I found that uphauling it was a real pain. In using the Seatrend for the first time, I sailed for about 2 hours, and I then decided to learn to waterstart with the balance of the afternoon. Frankly, I don't think I spent 10-15 minutes on it before getting it down in both directions. I couldn't believe how easily it was, and just like riding a bike for the first time, once you figure how things work, you've got it down. It might be a bit tough with a 7.0 jockeying things around for your waterstart set-up, but if you're in enough wind to plane once you're up, you should have little trouble getting pulled out of the water.

If things are a bit too sketchy in Seattle, like gregnw44 suggested, a weekend trip to the Gorge at a spot like Bob's beach in Stevenson should get you up and running with waterstarts in no time. On the first day, I would suggest initially passing on lessons and see how things go. If it proves too tough, then a lesson should do the trick.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Isobars' comment- Yeah, a lifejacket makes it a lot easier to waterstart, especially with a big sail that's awkward to clear from the water. But you still have to do some kicking with your legs to get positioned.

Regarding Olympia windsurfing launches- The wind tends to come from the W or SW when it blows in the summertime, so launches on the East shores of Eld and Budd Inlet are good. Boston Harbor Marina is nice for Budd Inlet. Priest Point Park would be good but I think you would have to park a long way from the beach and walk your stuff down cliff stairs. There may be some other spots along East Bay Dr. on Budd Inlet that I don't know about.

I used to launch from our beach access near Snyder Cove in Eld Inlet. The Evergreen State College has a little boat launch there at the end of 36th and Sunset Beach Dr. that they call the "Geoduck House." There's some parking but I don't know if its open to everyone. Johnson Point looks like it would be great in almost any wind direction, but I can't say for sure because I've never tried it.

For gear in Olympia you want stuff with a lot of power, a lot of wind range, and a lot of upwind / downwind ability. I'd recommend a racing longboard or a big slalom / formula board with 7.0 - 11.0 sails. Maybe a 6.0 every once in a while.

Sailboarder

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned last year to water start and would like to point out that it is much easier to do it on a small board. In fact I switched once from my Kona to a 115l board and ended up straight over the board and in the sail! The smaller board sits lower in water, so you don't need to lift the sail as much. With some weight on it, the smaller board drags more in the water and act as a pivot point instead of sliding away. Finally, when it's quite windy, the bigger board catches the wind and is pulled straight downwind. It is then difficult to orient the gear properly.

I am not saying a longboard is not good to learn waterstarts, but if conditions allows, it's easier on a shortboard.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d0uglass wrote:
Regarding Isobars' comment- Yeah, a lifejacket makes it a lot easier to waterstart, especially with a big sail that's awkward to clear from the water. But you still have to do some kicking with your legs to get positioned.

I grew up in the water. Kicking is like walking to me, not something I think about. But a) that involves feet, not hands, and b) I don't need to kick once I have a hand or two on my gear. Also, I consider life jackets too bulky; I prefer any of the simpler, slimmer, lighter, swimmable, submersible flotation vests with just enough buoyancy to keep my piehole above the surface when I'm going about the business at hand.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, LOL... you're "splitting hairs" Smile

James' advice is "right on". And what you said is also right. You're both saying the same thing, LOL Treading, kicking whatever... use floatation.. all good, ha-ha.

Let's not overwhelm our novice Steve, who's just stoked to go windsurfing.

Steve needs and I'm sure appreciates all the general advice and tips.
His very first post, included way more helpful info than most novices can write... "it showed" therefore, that he already knows and understands a lot about "what's going on". We don't need to overwhelm cyber-space discussing semantics. Steve's posts, show he a smart guy, with a few good tips, he'll be waterstarting in no time.

And James, THANKS for the Oly. info... I passed it on to our new guy sailing there !!!
Greg -
isobars

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The differences between swimming our gear into position and using big torso muscles to do it are immense, not hair-splitting. It's MUCH easier and quicker, especially in any significant wind and chop. I've had people say it transformed that aspect of the sport for them.

Ditto enough flotation to eliminate treading water.

Those are both outstanding tips for a sailor having waterstarting problems.

Steve's comfort and skills would progress quite rapidly and significantly if he included these tips in his next session. They can each be game-changers at that level, decreasing rather than increasing the mental and physical load.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: