myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How many died last year in the US while kiting ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MattD

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read DaNews via Facebook - works for me (and very much appreciated!)

Kiting fatalities are important to keep in mind when kiting friends (particularly newbies to the sport) consider going out in unfamiliar/challenging conditions.
westender

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the Needle in the Haystack. I didn't see it the first time I looked. I found it today. Didn't read it.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clyde, your link doesn't go to the internal USCG notice but merely to the top of your FB page. I'm not sure why you titled that article as you did because I see no connection to morbidity figures. Perhaps I missed it?
cagjr21150

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link works for me and goes here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/139057167/SFBA-Safety-Message-and-Background-on-MSIB-13-03

It was put together by SFBA, San Francisco Board Sailing Association who has both kiting and windsurfing members.

Their document is housed on a website called Scribd.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to belabor this thing, but your link doesn't fully work, at least for me. It takes me to the scribd site and the supposed article, but it doesn't show the article itself. It's simply blank space and nothing comes up over time. There's a tab to download, but it prompts me to log into Facebook. Overall, it's a dead end for me.

However, I should point out that I have an older Apple Powerbook (Motorola processor) laptop running Tiger, so there is stuff today that doesn't work or open up for me. For instance, anything done on the latest Flash Adobe software won't open up, and updates aren't possible because everything is designed for Intel chips and later operating systems.

Overall, in my past experience, your website has been a far superior place to visit. Also, Dan is right about having to search for your article on your Facebook site. Still though, given everything about the article is tied to the scibd site, it will probably never work for me. That's sometimes the price I pay for being too cheap to buy a new computer. It's ironic though, that the computer software world is constantly trying to leave their past customers in the dust. Sadly, planned obsolescence is the standard today.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pissing contest aside, I inform non-sailors who ask me whether they should try WSing vs kiting that risk is a big factor in that decision. WSers can just let go; that doesn't appear to be the case with kites.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I kiteboarded for my one year, '00, 92 died around the world, mostly advanced kiters.
However, when I did some rodeo kayaking in the AmericanRiver back in '95 or so, maybe '96, California alone accounted for 13 river deaths, two of which I witnessed and could have prevented, if the StateTroopers/CHP hadn't drawn their guns AT his to keep us away even though we had the rescue lines attached from rocks to the pinned boat/boater, and was ready to pull him out WITH his assistance.
The fireman who took over the situation with the help of the cops just stood around and debated what to do, in their rubber boots, hard hats, and fire retardant jackets. The river management team didn't get appraised of the situation by the cops, even though we told them, and raised the outflow until the poor guys drowned after dark.
I stopped river kayaking by the end of the year. I wonder why?
mat-ty

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent last summer learning to kite, and have got off to a great start this year. 4 kite days, 2 windsurf days , and 1 supsurf so far. I took my time learning to kite and put a high priority on safety. I truly believe if you spend the time and learn correctly you wil be perfectly safe. Nice soft beaches, stay away from gusty nasty wind etc. If I don't like the situation I will not go out. You have to have a what if attitude .
That being said I can see how 17 people died last year kiting. Many people just grab a kite, take a few lessons, and hit the water without spending much time learning their safety sytems and self rescue technique. I see beginners sailing offshore in 4/3s in 40 degree water. People talking on the beach with their kites at 12oclock. Launching kites pointed towards the parking lot instead of the water, and doing massive jumps in 12 inches of water, and many other stupid things.
Kiting and windsurfing are both great sports, and doing both has worked out well for me. Kiting in no doubt more exciting and dynamic in light wind(12to 20ish) and windsurfing is awesome and a hell of a lot safer in high wind.
nw30

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A better question might be how many kite boarders are in wheelchairs, I think that's a bit more tragic, as well as numerous.
I know 'two' many myself.
benspikey

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my soul died a little bit reading these posts..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: