myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How to use an unlocked iphone from Canada

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windslacker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: How to use an unlocked iphone from Canada Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience with using an unlocked iphone from Canada in the Gorge? The big carriers seem to require you to purchase an extended plan and will not activate s phone not purchased from them.(you can't get a micro sim and pre purchase a data plan.)
Any info on Virgin or Cricket? ATT/Verizon/US cellular have been a dead end
This seems to apply to ipads that also use a micro sim, not the carrier installed chip.
webby

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: How to use an unlocked iphone from Canada Reply with quote

windslacker wrote:
Does anyone have experience with using an unlocked iphone from Canada in the Gorge? The big carriers seem to require you to purchase an extended plan and will not activate s phone not purchased from them.(you can't get a micro sim and pre purchase a data plan.)
This seems to apply to ipads that also use a micro sim, not the carrier installed chip.

I bought an unlocked iPhone for this reason. I know that T-Mobile is possible but limits you to 2G/Edge network speeds. I thought AT&T was the only choice. I'm disappointed to hear you had zero luck with them. I've scoured the interwebs for a solution with no luck. So frustrating! At least there's lots of free wifi in Hood River.
skisurfer1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a roam mobility microsim card for Iphone/Ipad prior to leaving Canada. The concept and price is good but the actual results are poor.
The iphone/pad are blocked from picking up any of the 3G/4G frequencies, and operate on something less than 2G or dialup. Painfully slow. The i windsurf page takes up to 10 minutes to load at most locations in the Gorge.
A 2 mb photo 7 minutes.
You can rectify this if you purchase a roam mobility hot spot and then run your devices off of that, but that is a considerably more expensive option, but does work well according to an Apple user I know.
morpheus

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: How to use an unlocked iphone from Canada Reply with quote

windslacker wrote:

I got a Rogers network locked iPhone from Canada and using it with my own GSM SIM card after unlocking it. I got the iPhone unlocked using remote unlocking service. I got the remote unlocking service for the iPhone from http://www.prounlocking.com/apple/rs16wp8/ at affordable cost with easy unlocking guide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: