myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gear of the Future
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pzwinakis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine masts will go away. In their place will be long spectra lines.. The sails will have inflatable bladders so if they crash into the water they can be relaunched.. Wind range will increase dramatically requiring only a two "sail" quiver for a lot of places..

Since the forces on the boards will not be in a downward direction and will instead be upward, the size of the boards will become radically smaller. Volume will not matter any more. Wave-boards will be smaller than surfboards with no ill effects..

Sorry, couldn't help myself..
windward1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good, pzwinakis. They asked for it, right?
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting list, but here is an additional peeve of mine that is actually completely doable with current technologies.

Think about a windsurf with detachable rails. The smallest ones make for, e.g., a 85L board. Change rails and you go to 100. Change rails again and you go to 120. One core (rail-less) board + 3 sets of rails and you span the whole range of windsurfing from displacement to 30 knots.

Want to push this more. Build a hybrid rigid/inflatable board (for an inflatable windsup http://www.star-board.com/2013/news_events/read.php?post_name=the-compact-experience-by-boards-uk), where the width of the board is controlled by air pressure. The rails move out the more air you put in an inlet. Result? A board you can bring with you for trips and covers huge wind range.

Also look here: http://www.windsurfermag.com/magazine/hard-edge-rails-for-windsurf-boards-ultra-short-board-concept-mark-salvage/?params=MTd8MTE3fDA=
andydavis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear of the Future Reply with quote

Jaipal wrote:
... Windsurfing will be here for future generations to enjoy...

-J

Iphone bracket
LUCARO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That skimboarding video is sick as
buzzwordbrad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Gear of the Future Reply with quote

andydavis wrote:
Jaipal wrote:
... Windsurfing will be here for future generations to enjoy...

-J

Iphone bracket

it would be great if some of the unused space in say the mast or boom could be filled with electronics equip such vhf marine radio/gps locator beacon. interface with sailor could be via a wrist watch.
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take this thing, and scale it down to a one person thing, the amazing Hydroptere~

And here is a vid and more pics of it, for those who haven't ever seen it.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2317001/Hydroptere-Super-yacht-clock-60-miles-hour.html

article-2317001-198D238B000005DC-987_964x596.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  61.05 KB
 Viewed:  9741 Time(s)

article-2317001-198D238B000005DC-987_964x596.jpg

pzwinakis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of this is complete nonsense..

I used to make Windsurfers with a well known shaper. Bottom line: everything is a trade off. I can't imagine it's any different with sail design.

Things will continue to progress slowly unless the sport diminishes to the point where people won't want to put the resources into R&D. Hopefully that doesn't happen.

The only way to make big changes is to fundamentally change the architecture. You can take expanding rails, hydrofoils, electronic servo sail trim and put it in your pipe and smoke it. Might as well make the whole thing out of pixie dust as they all have about the same probability of being realized in a mass market way..

I jumped ship from Windsurfing 10 years ago to go Kiting after about 18 years of very focused Windsurfing at a fairly high level. Just recently I borrowed some gear and tried Windsurfing again. I could not believe how hard it was for how little performance you get from it, and this was with modern gear.. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want Windsurfing to die. I had a blast with it when I did it and I sail with guys and gals that still have a lot of fun doing it, but architecturally, it seems seriously limited in its present form.
chophop

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a bump and jump board with some water ballast chambers that allow it to take on a limited amount of water for really high winds?

If the wind comes on really strong and the board starts bouncin' you just open a valve and take on a couple of pounds of H20. Afterwards, you just clear the ballast chambers and it is light again! Very Happy
windoggi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pzwinakis wrote:
Most of this is complete nonsense..

What? When I pass you on my bladder equipped, venetian blinded, ipod holding, electronic finned, self-derigging, beer dispensing, expanded rail rocketship, you'll regret ever becoming a dope on a rope.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: