myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
CT windsurfing anymore?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windrockwater

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: CT windsurfing anymore? Reply with quote

I am starting to think that I am the only windsurfer left trying to get on the water in western Long Island sound! Anyone out there sailing in Fairfield...Westport...Norwalk..Greenwich or anywhere else? The wind looks good for tomorrow and I was thinking of trying Todds Point since you can get in there as a non resident until May 1st. I have never sailed there but it looks like a good launch. Hopefully it is also good at low tide. Any comments about that? I am getting used to (but not happy about) being the only windsurfer out there when I go! I have a windsup that is dying to get wet.
ron.c

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there:

I just want you to know that I feel your pain in CT. Over the years, I visited Madison several times where I met a guy who sailed.

It's tough all over, it seems tougher down there. Adventuring outdoors is being replaced by the internet!

RC
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

next step, becoming a wire head. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirehead_%28science_fiction%29
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
gk3540

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry original poster, but subject of mind hacking is irresistible. Ingebritsen's link reminded me of an excellent Michael Crichton book, The Terminal Man, which was one electronic brain stimulation's unintended, disastrous result. Deep brain stimulation actually works for Parkinson's disease.....back to the OP, I'm usually the only one out on my Exocet windSUP. I'm getting very interested in the inflatables---maybe that would get more people onto the water with us.....
whitevan01

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windrockwater,
I know a couple of windsurfers who live in CT. They almost always make the fairly short drive from western CT down here to LI where there are many, many windsurfers.

so, if you don't want to sail alone, come on down!!!!

Here is a map of LI launches:

http://www.peconicpuffin.com/the_peconic_puffin/map/

it's interactive so you can drag it around to cover all of LI. also, there is a link to LI windsurfers yahoo group forum there. join, and read about all of the places to sail.
jfeehan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sail pretty often from Pine Creek Beach in Fairfield - at the end of South Pine Creek Rd.

S to SW to W is pretty good. SE can be ok...

I think you need a parking sticker after Memorial day, but I have a friend with a house on that beach, so I park there.

Sometimes there are 4 or 5 people windsurfing there.

I haven't been out yet this year..., soon though.

nice sandy beach.., shallow for a long way out at low tide.., there can be small but jump-able waves on the sand bars off the beach.

when the wind is S, the shore break can get big at high tide.
nowindinct

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sail at compo beach in Westport - another place that needs a sticker. I tried to sail Friday, but there was a magic force field turning the wind from S to SW and killing it as it neared the shore and . Also the water is still too cold for my 4/3. Hopefully it will reach the 50s soon. I am interested in sailing with others, but it seems like every beach is walled off to outsiders. I know Long Beach in Stratford is popular with the kiting crowd, $15 for nonresidents.
DrWind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I do not know what has happened, but I recall in the past going to Lighthouse Park in East Haven or Hammonasset with several other windsurfers, but now I have been sailing solo every time.

Lars
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammonasset is about the only place where there are likely to be any windsurfers. I live in eastern Ct. and have never sailed further west of New Haven. There are about a half dozen of us that sail there, especially on west to northwest days, where the wind is side to side on.. Southwesterlies are seldom good except on days where the water and air temps are nearly equal. Warm air passing over the cold water kills the wind there in Summertime.

I usualy sail here in Old Saybrook with kiters, I'm usually the only windsurfer.

There is also a small group that sails Jacobs Beach in Guilford
windrockwater

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all,

I usually get a Fairfield beach sticker as a non-resident. That gets me into Jennings and Penfield beaches (only) during the season. In the off-season i have sailed (and like) Pine Creek and have bumped into some nice people there. There are another one or two beaches just West of Pine Creek (Westport? Southport?) that I have sailed in the off season. Not sure if I was trespassing or not. Probably. Ha.

I have never tried Compo Beach in Westport and am not sure where to park, etc. I will check with the Town to see if they provide non-resident stickers. Barf. EDIT: Just called the Town. They give out 300 non-resident passes and there were sold out last year for this year. You can go for the day if you want. 30$/weekday and 50$/weekend day. Hahaha. Insane.

There is a nice launch spot near a yacht club in Wesport (in Saugatuck Shores?) but i imagine parking is risky and you could sail back to find a ticket or a tow.

I have seen the launch area at Todds Point but never sailed there. After next week, its residents-only unless you wait in some line for a day sticker which i will not do.

Calf Pasture beach in Norwalk has a few people that i see from time to time and that's my main place to try and then I try Fairfield which is another 15 minute drive for me. Last friday there was 2 windsurfers and 4 kiters in Norwalk.

I have visited Long Beach in Stratford and seen kiters and sailors but have not tried sailing there.

For an overnighter, I have loved Ninigret. Is that open this year? I thought they might have had hurricane damage and closed the parking area?

I am in Westchester and sailed years ago in Ossining and Croton Point Park on the Hudson. But i know of no locations on the Long Island sound to launch! That totally blows. I live a few hundred yards from the coast and have to drive into Connecticut to find a launch. That still irks me big-time.

I plan on giving some of my local launch area knowledge to the other thread that is creating a regional map of launch sites. Unfortunately its not alot of knowledge of spots.

Thanks for the replies. I think more people climb Mount Everest than windsurf. Pretty soon there may be about 100 of us left. Golf just does not give me a rush like planing across the water...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: