myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Rufus Sunday
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trudyl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Rufus Sunday Reply with quote

Here are a few pictures from Sunday 4-7-2013 at Rufus

Rufus00.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  101.71 KB
 Viewed:  15420 Time(s)

Rufus00.jpg

Rufus01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  143.05 KB

Rufus01.jpg

Rufus03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  138.98 KB

Rufus03.jpg

Rufus04.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  149.42 KB

Rufus04.jpg

isobars

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice very little swell. Did the current seem excessive enough to cause that, or was it just wind quality? Could you tell?

Mike \m/
trudyl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wind picked up after these photos and the swell was good especially on the WA side. Fun day, warm too, no one wore gloves and the guy on the Naish sails went without booties.
skyhigh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Great photos,{as always!}Love looking at your beautiful pics! THANKS Trudy Exclamation skyhigh

trudyl wrote:
The wind picked up after these photos and the swell was good especially on the WA side. Fun day, warm too, no one wore gloves and the guy on the Naish sails went without booties.
hilton08

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current at Rufus wasn't too bad (yet). It was noticeable when you got near the shore and you could see that you were going slightly sideways. Otherwise it just made it really easy to stay upwind.

Anyone have reports from Roosevelt or Arlington? It looked like there should have been more wind, more sun, and better swell out there. I was tempted to keep driving, but was already running late after snowboarding in the morning.

You've got to love the Gorge in the Spring!
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our spring runoff current may not be as bad as it has been in recent years. The eastern WA mountain snowpack is 75% of normal, so unless it all melts rapidly we may get only the usual short spring surge. "Normal" current helps the swell there; really big runoffs ruin it.

If I were driving east and found good conditions at Maryhill-Rufus, I wouldn't drive further. It's very tough to beat good conditions in the Maryhill corridor. It's when the wind "goes NW" there that I leave ... for ANY other place, 'cause it doesn't get much worse than The Wall with a NW cant.
Philgoude

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a short but fun session! Thank you, Trudy, for the cool pictures Very Happy

As pointed out by hilton08 and Trudy, the current wasn't bad and there were a couple of nice ramps. I was really surprised by how steady the wind was. As you can see in the picture I took after getting out, the cloud line was way past The Dalles.

Can't wait for the next session! Cool

Rufus_4-7-2013.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  400.08 KB
 Viewed:  15230 Time(s)

Rufus_4-7-2013.jpg

doug_needs_wind

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roosevelt/Arlington were good, especially ~ 1-3PM. two sessions of 3.2M^2 for me, others on nothing over 3.7M^2 I know of. Swell better than average, but frequency of monsters could have been better.

Some SUP'ers near the Arlington Marina were doing one hell of a down winder... steady 35 wind... They'd REALLY be shredding if they added a rig...

I'll try to post some POV video later...
hilton08

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philgoude wrote:

Can't wait for the next session! Cool

Looks good for Thursday.

EASTERN COLUMBIA RIVER GORGE
355 AM PDT WED APR 10 2013

.THURSDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. WINDY. HIGHS 60 TO 65. WEST WIND 10 TO
15 MPH WITH HIGHER GUSTS INCREASING TO NORTHWEST 20 TO 30 MPH
WITH GUSTS TO AROUND 40 MPH IN THE AFTERNOON.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doug_needs_wind wrote:
Roosevelt/Arlington were good, especially ~ 1-3PM

That's great. I noticed that the forecast rain didn't materialize, unless that's what caused that precipitous drop in the wind at 3:30 and again later. I am SO freaking tired of long swims even in warmer water that avoiding them has become important to me for the past few years. I ain't sailing floaters in nuking winds and I haven't the balance to slog more appropriately sized boards. That's one reason I'm watching the whole forecast picture, not just the mph part from just one source. Today's (Wednesday's) wind, for example, looks much better than Thursday's, but some sources say rain squalls (which screw up the wind) are highly likely today.

Do I miss some good days or individual sessions by over-analyzing the forecasts? Yep. Do I make the right choices more often, by my criteria? HELL, yep. Given the tens of thousands of miles I've driven for skunks over the decades, I can live with that. And given the comments I hear on the beach, I'm not alone in that.

My solutions to that dilemma include leaving home only after it gets windy AND the radar doesn't indicate squalls in the area, checking conditions on the way there, and being willing to turn around if it goes to hell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: