myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Want super smooth chop absorbing 90-100 liter board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adywind

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The JP Allride fit the bill. The used ones at Windance are all gone though Crying or Very sad
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look back at all the posts you'll see that our opinions are pretty wide spread which is a good thing. We're as unique as our fingerprints and our preferences for our gear choice reflects that. Fortunately for us there isn't any "BAD" gear out there. Boards, sails or fins. What it boils down to is what works for you. FSW, freeride, wave, BnJ. So many choices. The down side is I could see a beginner being totally overwhelmed by all these categories and what might work for their given situation.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said noshuz... excellent post... very true from first sentence to last.

And yes... WAY too confusing for newbies. THEY should not care about rocker, planform, chines, etc. And we shouldn't waste time analyzing every detail, when people are still learning how to jibe. Because as you say, there really aren't any bad boards.
The only critical thing for most newbies is to get about the right board vol and sail size for their local conditions and their ability.
They can worry about details, later, when they have some idea what they want.
"Because as you say, there really aren't any bad boards."
Greg -
adywind

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noshuzbluz wrote:
The down side is I could see a beginner being totally overwhelmed by all these categories and what might work for their given situation.

A beginners board of course, it's that simple Laughing
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregnw44 wrote:
And yes... WAY too confusing for newbies. THEY should not care about rocker, planform, chines, etc. And we shouldn't waste time analyzing every detail

Maybe I'm a lifetime newbie, but I'm guessing there are many in the same boat. After 33 years of WSing, including years of testing for magazines with shape tutoring from ranked pros plus reading every shape article I could find, I still just lift the hood to verify that a board has some rocker, something going on between the rails*, a narrow and thin tail, and I'm good to go if the magazines and/or a salesman I trust like it for the right reasons. Too many boards that measure alike sail very differently, and too many boards that measure completely differently sail alike. Fortunately, where I live I can always take it back if I don't like it (i.e, at the intersection of Swap Meet Street + New Board Demo Boulevard).

* i.e., vee, whether it's between flat panels or concaves ... ANYthing to cut the cheese ... er ... chop. I've ridden several pairs of boards which differed only by vee, and demand it for choppy (i.e., real world) conditions. Seatrend turned a hammering pig every tester hated into an marvel every tester loved simply by adding some vee to it the next year. Certainly Ingerbritsen's right that sailing technique and stance can strongly affect ride quality, but with 837 boards out there to choose from, why buy a board that wants my weight up front on the mastfoot when I'd rather stand a little more upright so I can maneuver and jump spontaneously? Besides, just about any shape with vee will ride better than the same shape without it.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we seem to be running pretty closely together on what's right for some in some places, ain't right for lots in lots of others. on forums like these, the SF and gorge people seem to think their ways are right for lots of others? countless times, people come back from a vacation either in maui or the gorge with a board they fell in love with there, and then nearly never sail (it, or at all) ever again. that's my biggest beef with forums like these. the "i don't give a shiite about anywhere else" culture starts from maui and the gorge and spreads outward. been that way for far too long. wonder why nobody windsurfs much anywhere else now?
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
we seem to be running pretty closely together on what's right for some in some places, ain't right for lots in lots of others. on forums like these, the SF and gorge people seem to think their ways are right for lots of others? countless times, people come back from a vacation either in maui or the gorge with a board they fell in love with there, and then nearly never sail (it, or at all) ever again. that's my biggest beef with forums like these. the "i don't give a shiite about anywhere else" culture starts from maui and the gorge and spreads outward. been that way for far too long. wonder why nobody windsurfs much anywhere else now?

Hi Jim,
I would assume the reference to gorge boards would be pointed towards the Open Ocean boards mentioned by the OP and myself. Sure they're made in the gorge and sail great in the gorge and like conditions elsewhere but the real advantage of "custom" boards is they're made for the sailors situation.
Copied from the website:

"If you were to call me and place an order, here are some simple questions that we ask everybody that I've made a board for.

1. How much do you weigh?

2. What conditions are you sailing in ?

3. How much volume do you think you need?

4. What shape of tail would you like? Diamond, square, round pin, swallowtail?

5. Colors?

6. Type of finbox system?

7. Multi- fin or single fin board?

Believe me, these are simple questions that can be answered on the phone and many times we ask somebody if they have a favorite board. We will ask them to describe this board possibly take some measurements of this board so we can relate to where they're at in their sailing."

Brian has more questions to this list that he asks but I abbreviated for the website. He'll ask what sail sizes you want to use, seat or waist harness, are you a BnF, jumper..etc. He's sailed and surfed all over the world and knows, like you, that what works one place may not work at another.

Is this the best option for a hardcore freestyle sailor? No, there's too many FS boards out there that are great for what they're made for.

I had a FSW board that I hated after a couple of seasons. I made it work but it just wasn't set up for me. A seat harness wearing, BnF fin pusher. It turned great but the ride sucked and when it got choppy I got beat to death. Anyway, I'm not trying to push an OO on anyone anymore than you push the Exocets, which btw look like great boards. It was the OP that brought them up first. From the pics I've seen of the Great Lakes he definitely needs a chop eater!

cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like sailing in the Gorge, and on Maui, but it's the conditions
I "fell in love with there." The gear is a byproduct of those
conditions. Not sure why that concept is worthy of so much derision.
I'm not sure I understand why anybody would take an 80 ltr wave board
out on a mountain lake in 12 MPH winds either. By the time you can ride
something like that on Maui, you should know you want to be riding
a 150 ltr Sumo on a light wind mountain lake. Here's another
perspective. People come to Utah from (name your locale) to ski
champagne powder, and once they adjust to it, they love it,
they might even go out and buy some noodley powder skis to
get the most out of it, but those skis pretty much suck on Eastern
hardpack. If you can enjoy Utah powder, then you should know better
than to use those skis on your blue ice.
Heck, you might even quit skiing anywhere except Utah, but that's
your prerogative, there's no police state forcing you to like what you
like, and do what you do.

Of course, I only get about 75 planing days a year, but I attribute my
limited amount of days to not being retired, my age, and the weather.
I figure to do about double that when I quite working, if my body holds up.
So you can take my opinions based on that.

-Craig

jingebritsen wrote:
dhmark

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the OP of this thread, enjoyed all the variety of the opinions. Everybody wants a slighty different ratio of sticky-smooth to early planing-bouncy. I don't think you can have it all. Although Lake Michigan can be gusty and some might want early planing, I want volume for that purpose, which is why I want a 95 L board for "high-wind" even though I am not a heavy weight-- also helps slogging through shore break. After that, the volume becomes a disadvantage; thus want the smoothness to save my creaky knees. so I am way on the side of wanting smooth ride over early planing, especially for this board (as I can just bump up to next size board). I knew how an OO felt, previously owned an older larger size Flow (green 284), have a great Fanatic Cross 120, was wondering if anything else on the market comes close, and I have received some useful opinions. dhmark
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
I only get about 75 planing days a year, but I attribute my
limited amount of days to not being retired, my age, and the weather.
I figure to do about double that when I quite working, if my body holds up.

The minute I realized I wasn't going to live forever, I began running the numbers and counting the days. So far I don't regret one bit retiring as early as I could. That goes double now that my years are numbered.

And I quit skiing when I left Utah.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: