myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Want super smooth chop absorbing 90-100 liter board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
noshuzbluz wrote:
Outline and Volume. If you're in rough water and consistently getting beat up, that's the way to get control.

And vee. And slower speeds. And softer rails. And narrower hulls. And narrow, thin tails. And a dozen other tweaks in every aspect of a board's shape. As speed increases on chop, control gets ever harder to maintain. Rockered-out wave boards, for example, are easy to control, largely because they're made slow so they won't outrun the wave.

And all that's even before one considers the fin.

I stand corrected. I should have said "a" way to get control instead of "the" way.

dhmark

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reading through the replies, I note a couple of things. Consistent with my experience, a soft cushy ride is a huge significant noticeable characteristic of certain designs. It seems to be achieved at the expense of other characteristics that others might want. This makes reading manufacturers' board descriptions particularly frustrating and unuseful; no matter what the board, they do everything great; are fast, jibe great, and melt chop like butter. Without the opportunity to test a board, and so many people praising some older boards, it seems like I should just look for something old, narrow, and with some vee, and a respectable reputation.... that should do it, and there should be lots to choose from. Anybody got an old sub 100 liter Mistral Flow, Fanatic Cross? dhmark
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhmark, do you ever get to the Gorge? The boards you seek grow on trees here for $50 to $200.

The bigger question is what other performance factors matter to you. Finding a cushy board is easy. Finding a cushy and slashy board is tougher. Finding a cushy, slashy, fast board is tougher yet; there are only a dozen of them at the larger Gorge swap meets. My Flow was not among them, as it does not slash and many boards ride better.

To cut through the manufacturer hype, find a friend with all the back issues of the magazine tests, learn to read them critically, add online test archives from such mags as Boardseeker and Boards, and narrow your choices accordingly. I've bought dozens of boards that way with VERY few disappointments. Better yet, the few that disappointed me suited the next buyer to a T, so I got my money back.

If ALL you care about is ride, read the current reviews and spend a grand or two on a new one that rides smoothly. I've ridden a few of them, some of which rode very smoothly. If they would turn like I want, I'd look no further, but I don't WANT to have to take my back foot out to slash and I want that sweet ride AND heel'n'toe slash to continue when rabidly overpowered in heavy chop.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhmark.... You ask for an older, narrower mid sized board (94 to 100 litres) with some V, and a respectable reputation, and mention Flows and Fanatic Crosses.

I regularly use three such boards, one of which is an 04 Fanatic Cross 99. (Other two, 05 Mistral Syncro 104, and 08 Exocet cross 94.) All three are genuine allrounders with 'nice' characteristics.

The Fanatic Cross 99 is very good (for its size, of course) in 5.5 type rough bouncy choppy conditions. Once you allow for its 'tippiness' compared to the wider shorter boards we've all adjusted to, it is very satisfying. I particularly like its fast, long smooth arc gybing, in bouncy swelly chop.

After re-using it quite a lot over the last year, I wonder just where the progress has been in allround Cross type do it all boards? It does the job as well as any.

If you can find a sound Fanatic Cross 99, it may suit you well.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

most everyone that demo's my S-Cross, Cross, and X-Waves say the same thing. "what a smooth ride." i'll add what a huge upside wind range on nearly every exocet i've ever had. note, i could wangle for team rider stasus in one way or another with lotsa brands. i choose exocet mainly for their performance.

http://www.exocet-original.com/2013/scross.php

http://www.exocet-original.com/2013/cross4.php

http://www.exocet-original.com/2013/xwave.php

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhmark,

You are two months too late. I just sold my 96 liter Flow to a guy from Russia. My Flow is now sailing in the Black Sea.

Coachg
carl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dhmark,
Realwind still makes the long narrow boards you seek and in many different sizes. Their 102L is particulary good. They even make a 130L for big folks or light wind. They all cut thru chop like butter.
The old Flows are real good too, if you can find them in good condition.
Waterat Pat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some board features really add to ride quality. Look for full double concaves down the entire length of the board. Also thick dual density pads can really help.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an 05 Tabou Rocket 61 and thought that ate chop up but just tried a 2010 125l and 145l and WOW was it smooth even in chop! Try one out sometime and you'd be surprised! They don't require much input so if you don't like, that might be an issue...

-Kevin
Arrgh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Want super smooth chop absorbing 90-100 liter board Reply with quote

dhmark wrote:
My fading memories recall smooth riding on my brother's custom Open Ocean in the gorge (amazing)

I fed: "Demo, 90-100 liter Double-O type board, home conditions (2000 miles from Gorge), all summer, cheap (my parameter)" into my boardfinder app and got back: Bic Saxo 270.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: