myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Want to try wave sailing this season
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poussin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Want to try wave sailing this season Reply with quote

Hey Y'all,

So I would like to try wave sailing this year somewhere in norcal.
I have not really ever wave sailed (except for once at Kanaha on a
small day, and a couple of days last summer at Cabarete-which was a
total blast).
So, fair enough to say that I'm not very experienced in the wave sailing
world to say the least.
My 3 choices as I see it, would be either Dillon beach, or Waddell or
Davenport.
I live in Marin. I've read the posts about Limiantour/Tuba/Palo,
but am looking for something more easily accessible.

I've heard Waddell is good in the summer as it's a bit more mellow than in the spring which would be better for me with my lack of experience.

I would love to go to PSC, but it just ain't in the cards for me right now.

Wave sailing is something I've been wanting to do for a few years now but
for one reason or another, just haven't done it. Usually because of time/work/family etc., since it's a bit of o haul to get out to those places.

I drool over the photos of people sailing off the coast of Santa Cruz area
and want to do it too!

I would love to hear your feedback as to the best place and what time of the season etc., for my quest to learn, so that I can move forward!

Thanks.

Greg
churan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to waddell, early when the wind just comes up. no crowd
Then migrate up the beach to shotguns when the crowd comes. Its a submerged point 100yards north. usually only 10 sailors even when crowded. usually no kites. Spring is fine just catch it under head high. Time the lulls in the waves to make it out. I also recomend watching online how to video. Knowing what you are trying to do can take years. A video can show you in a couple hours then you just have to figure out how to do what you know. Ezzy video perfected my bottom turn that sucked for 7 years. Just that easy.

Have fun.
pzwinakis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waddell is a decent place to learn.. I sail (Kite) there as it is my local spot.. The only advice I'd give, is make sure 1.) The surf is small when you go - there are websites that state the swell height and direction - it will be more fun learning if the surf is small.. 2.) Understand that while you have as much right to be there as anyone else, there is still a hierarchy.. people who know what they are doing and are capable at the top and the folks that are learning at the bottom. It is best to sail away from where the better guys/galls are sailing.. Ideally down wind as you will certainly fall down and be swept down the beach a bit (no big deal)- better not be swept THROUGH the place where everyone is trying to ride the waves.. There is a TON of beach downwind of the parking lot at Waddell.. practice down there. 3.) Ask questions... People will be willing to help as long as you're not in everyones way.. Also, leave the Specs, life preserver, impact vest, and other crap at home.. They'll only get in the way.. Oh yeah, don't sail out too far.. Have fun!
SwellRipper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Waddell Reply with quote

Try Waddell when wind is good, surf is small, and tide is at least medium. This might be the easiest time to make a transition from Bay sailing to ocean sailing. You have to make some adjustments to your sailing to deal with dynamism of the ocean compared to the Bay. This would be easier done when the surf is small. Then build from there. It helps if you have some surf-zone experience, such as body surfing, boogie, surfing, etc.

The downside of Waddell is there are a lot of kiters. Most, but not all, are pretty good though. But there is inherent danger sailing amongst the kites. Generally the windsurfers sail upwind of the kites, but there is a lot of mixing too.

Be aware you can destroy a lot of equipment. If windsurfing is an expensive sport, wavesailing can be even more expensive! Don't be an idiot and sail to the horizon, try to stay closer to the beach in case of equipment failure, etc. Be safe, have fun!

xander.arch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't start at Davenport. While its easier to get off the beach since there is a clear channel without breaking waves you can get into trouble at Davenport ending up on rocks, in sea caves and way downwind of the launch. I've done all the above!

Waddell on a nice small summer day is just perfect with enough to shore pound to teach you how to punch out through the waves. You will get worked, that is part of the fun. Wear booties, the water is cold and the ground can be brutal at waddell.

To prep for the waves practice the following:

Lightwind quick pivot jibes - also called chicken jibes.
Lightwind waterstarts - very important, you need to be able to get up quick.
Clew first waterstarts - these also help you get up quick.
Tacks - really helps you stay upwind.
Also, learn the method of dismounting where you pick your gear out of the water by lifting the sail overhead and grabbing the boards back footstrap.

Notice that I'm stressing lightwind stuff. Wind in the surf zone is often light so good slogging skills really help.

See you at Waddell.
ericwelty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davenport would be your choice, as the wave is very gentle. Waddell will be your choice to learn how to break equipment , even on a small day the waves can really pack a punch.

The kiters at Waddell will not give you a chance to catch a wave.
I have been sailing both places for 28 years.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xander.arch wrote:
To prep for the waves practice the following:

Lightwind quick pivot jibes - also called chicken jibes.
Lightwind waterstarts - very important, you need to be able to get up quick.
Clew first waterstarts - these also help you get up quick.
Tacks - really helps you stay upwind.
Wind in the surf zone is often light so good slogging skills really help.

Don't add the mistake I made decades ago of trying to use little sinkers in the waves just because it's blowing like holy hell in general. One can make most coast boards work in high winds such as in the Gorge, but vice versa sucks. Flotation is your friend in the waves, for all the reasons listed above.

Mike \m/
churan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would differ with the booties comment or offer this advice. Loosen your straps for wave sailing or go without booties. At times you have about 1/2 a second to pull your feet out before getting worked. Examples: trying to punch out a steep wave breaks pushing your board back in your face, this can shatter your foot and ankle. back side down the line steep wave, the fin can cavitate causing the board to roll, again dangerous. any sort of arials or jumps or loops you learn to attempt ditto .etc. I surf with booties but cant sail with them, fine at chrissy but not in waves. hate to see you out for 6 months on your first go. Best.
airwave

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The friendliest wave on the central coast is Arroyo Laguna just north of San Simeon. Sometimes there is no wave and on an occasional south swell it gets fairly big. But most spring and early summer days it makes a nice waist high down the line rideable wave. The best part is that when there is no swell it is some of the best open ocean sailing around. Piedras Blancas is the meter to watch. Cambria or the San Simeon Campground is the place to stay. Very few kites in the way. Definitely the easiest spot to begin waves sailing on the CA coast.
poussin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody, for your advise.
Can't wait to give it a try!
Guess I"m in for a butt-kicking, but hey, we all got to pay our dues!

Looks like I have a bit of homework to do too. (My tacks are pretty much non-existent).
But I'll give it try anyway.
See you there soon.

Oh yeah, also, what about Dillon Beach?

Thanks again,

Greg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: