myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fockinnukin at Tomales
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rigatoni wrote:
Is the Iwindsurf sensor reading accurately these days? I know a few years ago it tended to read a little low. For me (180#), that place is great on 4.5 and below but not worth the drive otherwise.

Chris, To add to what Godsey says, my experience is that the strongest slot of wind is right as you walk out in the shallow water, just downwind from the point. That might reinforce the fact that the wind at the sensor is high. However I did sail there all alone on Tuesday when the sensor never averaged on or above 20. I was on a 100 Liter board, 5.6 sail and I weigh around 155 - 160, and was planing 100% of the time. Of course you don't drive to Tomales for such conditions, but for me it was worth the drive from Fairfax. Scenery alone was worth it, not to mention the 2 hour freestyle session and the awesome clams and oysters I picked up on the way home for dinner:)

Steve
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,
I'm with you . I love the place, and I'm still bumming I missed the Monday blast.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing better for your soul than the drive back after n edgy 2 hour sesh, the tailwind, the greenery, thru SPTaylorPark, and the choice of many good resturants and eateries on the way home.
jse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Nothing better for your soul than the drive back after n edgy 2 hour sesh, the tailwind, the greenery, thru SPTaylorPark, and the choice of many good resturants and eateries on the way home.

Actually I like the Nicasio route. It's a toss up whether it's faster, but the road is much smoother, and less winding. Plus there's a spot by the reservoir where you get cell reception so if you're on your way out, it's a last chance to check the graph or see if anyone is going to join you. Downside is you bypass Pt. Reyes Station, where the good eateries and watering holes are.

Steve
victor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep. lucas valley rd./rancho nicasio for me.

maybe launch at marconi so boggsman still gets a parking spot at grassy.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

victor wrote:
yep. lucas valley rd./rancho nicasio for me.

maybe launch at marconi so boggsman still gets a parking spot at grassy.

Thanks Vic....but's its been a long time since the Grassy Point lot has been full, maybe its the poison oak.
rpaillon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Unintended Consequences Reply with quote

Mike,

I can't tell you how many people I've met at Tomales who left their smallest sail at home because they didn't think it was going to blow as hard as it did. What a waste to have driven up there and not be able to sail because you didn't bring a small enough sail. I always advise them that if they're going to Tomales they should bring everything they've got.

So you might somehow reflect the possible highs in your forecast.

Rick
koogzah

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jse wrote:

Actually I like the Nicasio route... Downside is you bypass Pt. Reyes Station, where the good eateries and watering holes are.

There are some solid options on the Nicasio route too. BBQ oysters at the Marshall General Store or Tony's? Beers at Rancho Nicasio?

And, while I love Tomales, just wanted to point out the average wind speeds at 3rd were on par with Tomales monday and I'm willing to wager the swell was 2X bigger. Just saying. Cool
rigatoni

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but you don't glow in the dark or smell like jet fuel after sailing Tomales.
SPQR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smelling like jet fuel is Coyote, at 3rd it's more like sheeeeeet from the Foster City sewage treatment plant.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: