myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
can't load front foot
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nw30

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

almineev wrote:
surfersteve wrote:
Again, though, I have to ask: why do you want to force your freestyle board to behave like a slalom board when it was engineered to behave opposite of that?

I understand freeride wont match slalom, however the difference in my case seems too much.

I do worry about looseness, however I also want to tune reasonably for upwind. Sort of find the balance.

boom - shoulder high
mast foot from tail - about 131cm
board is naish koncept 110
I usually sail on it is naish sprint 6.6 in 20-25mph wind
fin 44cm (it's actually quite large for the sail size, my early attempt to improve upwind)

I agree with surfersteve 100%, and even after reading your response, you still seem to be trying to fit a sq. peg into a round hole.
If you want something smaller, with your version of 'loosness' for those winder days, just try to find a smaller version of your other board, which should be running a smaller fin.
Done.
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much everything has been said. However, the video of Micah and his toes - he is curling his toes up to keep his foot in the strap, not lifting. You do this to keep your foot from bouncing out of the strap. This is common when using big fins or with lots of power. Almost all the weight is on the back foot when pointing or even on a beam reach with wide tail slalom boards or formula boards. Only when bearing off does the front foot take much weight. As said before, there are lots of factors that determine foot pressure. For me:

Board type - wide tails = big fins = more back foot pressure.
Sail size - big sails = big fins = more back foot pressure.
Power - even small fins can be overloaded (heavy back foot pressure) if on the overpowered side of things.
Fin size - big fins = more back foot pressure.
Point of sail - if you like to point and run deep, the bigger fins are needed = more back foot pressure. If you like to reach only, then smaller fins = less back foot pressure.
Big/heavy sailors need bigger fins & bigger sails on bigger boards = more back foot pressure.

On any board (no dagger board), if super powered and pointing as high as possible, all weight will be on the back foot (and harness). This is called "riding the fin" where 75% of the board is out of the water.
kmf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading lots of Guy Cribb articles, last year I went from 26 inch dual harness lines to 28 inch mono harness lines, ( I am 5'7", 155#) and found that the change resulted in a huge adjustment in boom height. Interestingly, I found that the mono lines ended up further back on the boom than I thought that they would, I figured they would be placed in the center of the placement of the dual line setup, but the lines are now placed a little behind where the rear strap on the dual set up was. Hmmmm....Boom was chest high, now way up there.

Maybe some of your set up feelings result from the huge change in harness line length. It has taken me some time to get in tune with the difference, although I like them longer as I can hang off the boom now and it seems to make transitions easier.

I ride Starboard Kode 74 and a RRD FSW 80.

KMF
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: