myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
can't load front foot
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adywind

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm assuming we are talking EXCESSIVELY loaded back and unloaded feet here, because my feet are equally loaded only on a reach . Going upwind my back foot is more loaded but not uncomfortably so and my front one unloaded fingers curling and pulling upwind with slightly turned forwards leg. I'm actually kind of confused you don't do that on your slalom boards.
Anyway can you give us more detailed explanation where exactly you place your boom /chest, shoulders, chin, other?/ and where your mastfoot in cm. from the tail is. Because otherwise we are just guessing and we may be guessing it wrong.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've said a couple of things which make me suspect you may be underpowered on the smaller boards, including, "Can't go upwind" and "off the groove kills the fun". With plenty of power, pointing gets easier and sailing far off the wind becomes not only easier but way more fun than beam reaching overpowered. Wavy boards require more power than racier boards when relying on wind (as in B&J) rather than gravity (as on waves and swell).

Mike \m/
almineev

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surfersteve wrote:
Again, though, I have to ask: why do you want to force your freestyle board to behave like a slalom board when it was engineered to behave opposite of that?

I understand freeride wont match slalom, however the difference in my case seems too much.

I do worry about looseness, however I also want to tune reasonably for upwind. Sort of find the balance.

boom - shoulder high
mast foot from tail - about 131cm
board is naish koncept 110
I usually sail on it is naish sprint 6.6 in 20-25mph wind
fin 44cm (it's actually quite large for the sail size, my early attempt to improve upwind)
adywind

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, we are talking different game here. More FSW then Freeride . Your boom, mastfoot settings look good, on the other hand you are using very big fin . I think this board comes with a 28 and 36 cm fins. This may be the reason for your back foot load. Try it with smaller fin and single back strap and inboard front ones. It feels very different then slalom board stance because you have to be very upright and not loading your back foot at all otherwise the tail spins. For going better upwind you'll have to press the windward rail a bit more in the water to compensate for the fin. Very different then slalom right? Thats because they are supposed to do much more then straight line blasting.
I still curl up my front foot toes / slalom habit/, but I'm carefull not to put much weight on the back foot. Oh and make the straps wider than usuall and put your back foot as much over the centrer line as possible.
Harness lines around 28" should be fine not to get unhooked accidentally. In rough conditions push your ass down and out instead of leaning back. It will take some time to get used to this stance and in the end you may love it or hate it-hope its the first one becouse it opens the door for more fun stuff.
Btw why did you get such a big size? Are you a very big guy?
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the setup feel perfect while riding square to the wind?

If the board wants more to go downind, you need to exert extra effort to put he sail Center of Effort back. To achieve that, you are bringing your body back on the board and this weight your back foot. If you are uncomfortable, you could move the straps back a bit.

Another way to bring the sail CE back is to move the mast foot forward, without changing your boom height, or even by lowering it. Moving the mast foot forward also bring the board nose down, getting the rails to bite a bit more.
almineev

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adywind wrote:
on the other hand you are using very big fin . I think this board comes with a 28 and 36 cm fins. This may be the reason for your back foot load. Try it with smaller fin and single back strap and inboard front ones. It feels very different then slalom board stance because you have to be very upright and not loading your back foot at all otherwise the tail spins.

Yep, going with the large fin was my solution for spinouts. I also thought that larger fin would help pointing as a side effect. So actually it induced wrong stance with which I'm fighting now.

I'll try moving mast 1cm forward, smaller fin and more pressure on windward rail for upwind.

Thank you guys!
I'll report back on how this works
Alex
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No no...
More pressure on the LEEward rail to go upwind.
Pressure on the windward rails points upwind, then immediately stalls out.
adywind

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG I've found an intuition article from Guy Cribb that exactly describes your case! Here is the quote: "When using a big fin, your weight should feel like it’s all on the back foot and actually lifting with the front foot" and yes bank WINDWARD. Hey, we are talking FSW boards here , not slalom or longboards! Just don't overdue it. The truth is in moderation-somebody said.
Don't move the mast foot forward if the nose doesn't lift too much, it will only make it more difficult to go upwind.
Here is the article:
http://www.guycribb.com/userfiles/documents/cranking%20upwind.pdf
When you go sailing next time and set the board with single back strap try riding a wave or if you live like me in a waveless place ride something that resembles a wave-like the face of a steep chop and I promise you: you'll get hooked! Idea
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As in every case in every sport, you can go bigger up to a point, then you pass that point, and you start to regress in your gains.
If you fin surpasses the width of your tail OFO, you come close to that point.
paulf.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might also try leaving a little more draft in the sail to gain some mast foot pressure/front foot pressure(and a smaller fin).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: