myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
roof racks for 3 board plus box?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterbelden

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:45 pm    Post subject: roof racks for 3 board plus box? Reply with quote

Anyone found roof racks one can buy similar to the old Gorge Racks that would hold 3 boards and thus enable me to put my box of sails on the other side? My gorge racks are a bit rusty and so hoping to replace them. I can't seem to find actual gorge racks online so curious if there are other off the shelf solutions folks have found. I don't have the time nor the tools to make them my self.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a shop recondition your existing racks. They can have them looking like new with a little sandblasting, powder coating, and fewer bucks than buying new ones ... if you could find them.

I always made my own. Tools: hacksaw, drill, wrench. Materials: round and square aluminum tubing, nuts & bolts. Result: no corrosion, excellent performance, custom fit and sizing, extreme durability. Dealbreaker for you: TIME.

The BEST solution: a van.
peterbelden

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the idea of reconditioning my current rusty gorge racks. What type of shop could do that type of work? Any you'd recommend in San Francisco?
mark

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a set for sale on Craigslist East Sacramento

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/spo/d/sacramento-gorge-racks-for-sups-or/7437498426.html
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark wrote:
There is a set for sale on Craigslist East Sacramento

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/spo/d/sacramento-gorge-racks-for-sups-or/7437498426.html

There ya go! Those pads alone cost a couple of hundred dollars. RUN, do not walk, to that Craigslist offer.

If someone beats you to it, any metal-working, metal-fabricating, iron works, etc. shop can do your task. Even the big industrial shops are usually happy to take on simple tasks like yours as gap-fillers. If not, or if they're simply swamped, they can steer you to a shop that can help.

Here are a few in your area:
https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=metalfabricators&find_loc=San+Francisco%2C+CA

If that doesn't float your boat, a few minutes with a wire brush, a rattlecan of rusty (as opposed to new) metal primer, and a rattlecan of paint will have yours looking fine if they aren't pitted beyond repair. The brush will remove loose flakes of rust, the primer will transform what's left into a solid bonding layer, and the paint will renew the cosmetics and provide long term protection. You will find (Tip: using primer and paint the same color as your present rack will make the final finish look best.) dozens of videos online on prepping and painting rusty metal. You might find that doing it yourself is quicker than driving to and from a shop a couple of times.

Simple tasks like this are a good way to begin a lifetime of convenient and rewarding DIY skills and tools. Mine began with a glass jar of random nuts and bolts my girlfriend gave me 53 years ago. It grew into skills that have saved me many tens of thousands of dollars, from wrenching my desert racing motorcycles to designing and fabricating a full-featured, jaw-dropping, prize-winning motor home customized for windsurfing.

And we're still married.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:13 pm    Post subject: gorge rack Reply with quote

If you don't have any luck you can pm me I have a set that I never used.
skyking1231

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a set too looking to sell. I also have a cross bar to go along with it. so it can clamp to almost any factory OEM roof rack. ( can be modfied to fit any OEM roof rack). Not rusty Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: