myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Torture?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Torture? Reply with quote

http://detaineetaskforce.org/read/#/26/

Don't take my word for it. Where should we go from here?
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Infant beheadings. Severed baby feet in jars. A child screaming after it was delivered alive during an abortion procedure. Haven't heard about these sickening accusations? How about 1 baby thrown in a toilet, swimming for its life? Then neck severed with forceps.

"It's not your fault. Since the murder trial of Pennsylvania abortion doctor Kermit Gosnell began March 18, there has been precious little coverage of the case that should be on every news show and front page."

I'm not for toruture. I'm not for the death penalty, except in extreme cases. Guantanamo in my opinion is torture if there is no exit date or time limitation. But I'm more concerned with our country, and don't care as much about them. There is plenty of torture that goes on every day here.
mac

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bard--I think you lost your bearings there, the Gosnell case has nothing to do with systematic torture, insisted on by Cheney. Contrary to the talking points of the anti-abortionists, the Gosnell case has been well covered, and is not primarily about abortion. Several of the principals have pleaded guilty to murder and have agreed to testify against Gosnell. Gosnell is being prosecuted for murder--by the government. If convicted he will spend the rest of his life in jail--so he is being held accountable for his crimes. And well he should be.

The referenced report, which has an oversight panel with ample Republicans to assure credibility, documents systematic torture in the post-9/11 world, which delivered no real security benefits and was authorized by Bush after insistence by Cheney. I too worry about our country, and what signal it sends to the rest of the world when crimes by top officials are ignored. It sounds even worse than Pakistan.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac, I should pointed out that one needs to be able to update to a current version of Flash Adobe to view the link that you posted. Unfortunately, my browser is too old to do that. However, despite my computer's limitations, I have to agree with the overall premise that Guantanamo needs to be closed, and all but the 20 or so hardened terrorists need to be returned to their respective countries. Those that cannot be released should be tried for their crimes, and they should ultimately serve their appropriate sentences in a high security facility here in the US.

Fortunately, President Obama appears to support the closure of Guantanamo. That said, I guess we need to see what our representatives in Congress think. Given the fact that Republicans have been resolute in opposing virtually everything Obama wants to do, I have little hope that they will support Guantanamo's closure.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Precious little coverage, Bard? That's BS and you know it. The trial info appears nearly every day on TV from talking heads cable shows to big three evening news. It's all over the web, from screaming extremists to standard news crawlers. Why? Because the trial attracts those on the far right that repeat the phrase, "The lack of coverage merely underscores the liberal media bias" as well as those who view the murder rial as abortion-related by circumstance rather than worthy of a discussion of Constitutional abortion rights.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm glad we are in some agreement on this subject. I also view the "SuperMax" prison as being a form of torture. The term Enemys of the govt really bothers me. While I have no sympathy for many in there, I think normal communication with the outside world is immportant. Some of them may have an important political or legal message that is being muzzled.

1.Long-term – Once transferred to a supermax prison, people tend to stay there for years or indefinitely.
2.Powerful administration – Supermax administrators and guards have ample authority to punish and manage inmates, without outside review or prisoner grievance systems.
3.Solitary confinement – Supermax prisons rely heavily on intensive (and long-term) solitary confinement, tantamount to sensory deprivation, which is used to isolate and punish prisoners as well as to protect them from themselves and each other. Communication with outsiders is minimal.
4.No activities – Few opportunities are provided for recreation, education, substance abuse programs, or other activities generally considered healthy and rehabilitative at other prisons.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solitary confinement 250 feet below the earth's surface for life doesn't bother me in the least for a man who targets not only civilians but little boys.

As for his dead brother whom no graveyard wants ... why not just throw his damned carcass into the nearest pigpen? What do we have to lose by showing these radical monsters' radical peers what we, God, and Allah think of them?
nw30

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Solitary confinement 250 feet below the earth's surface for life doesn't bother me in the least for a man who targets not only civilians but little boys.

As for his dead brother whom no graveyard wants ... why not just throw his damned carcass into the nearest pigpen? What do we have to lose by showing these radical monsters' radical peers what we, God, and Allah think of them?

Ha! Pork.
morpheus

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

Well said mate...
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not gonna read all that.
Torture involves maiming, nothing at all like that is going on with enhanced interrogations.
Who cares anyways, I hope they and a bunch more of em' stay at Gitmo forever, why should they be brought here and given ACLU lawyers and full rights? How many freed Gitmo prisoners have been recaptured on yet another battlefield?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: