myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wear sunscreen!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgda

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Wear sunscreen! Reply with quote

Sitting the derm offfice waitng for the path report to come back from a basal cell on my ear. If no clear margins, they cut some more....

Just a reminder to wear sunscreen....especially on the ears, which I think guys sometimes forget....
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully you are having a Mohs surgery so that the doctor can accurately determine whether the cancer has been completely removed.

Earlier, I had a surgery on my left ear to remove a basal cell cancer. Unfortunately, the doctor didn't do an adequate job and the cancer came back big time. The second surgery (by a different doctor) was significant, and it involved removing nearly my whole ear so that they could re-position and reattach it after cutting out the cancerous tissue. Needless to say, it wasn't too fun, and it pretty much blew my summer in 2006.

You're spot on about wearing sunscreen, but I would also recommend always wearing a wide brim hat when out in the sun. While windsurfing, I also wear a Gath helmet that covers my ears. If one has a fair complexion like I do, you really need to be super cautious about sun exposure.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always strap on my SPF 10,000 helmet before stepping onto a board.

And I never sail without 100% uv shades to prevent cataracts.
jgda

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Mohs Reply with quote

Yup, had a MOHs....AFTER the first guy froze it. Have a chunk out of ear, but I don't think mine was as bad as yours.. Wow...
J_McV

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me Too.
Stuff keeps popping up every couple years. Everybody who grew up in the sun better go get yourself checked out right away. It could save your life.
Jeff
ramps

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
I always strap on my SPF 10,000 helmet before stepping onto a board.

And I never sail without 100% uv shades to prevent cataracts.
ramps

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I was trying to do was ask, how do you keep the river film off of your sunglasses? After a few dips in the Coumbia my lenses were so filmy I could not see well enough to be comfortable.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That gets worse the farther west one sails on the Columbia. The river at Jones Beach may as well be Vaseline, given how fast it coats my glasses. The Corridor is better, but still a noticeable nuisance. Out east, it's still a nuisance, but wiping my glasses with my fingers every session or so is adequate ... not great, but adequate.

There's a caveat: my helmet includes a visor, which keeps the direct sun off my eyes and glasses. Without the visor, backscatter of sunlight off grimy or wet glasses is much worse (just one of many reasons I wear a helmet).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: