myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New Kona longboard
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darbonne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: New Kona longboard Reply with quote

One day it will be mine.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bradsegla/sets/72157633271620807/
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yes, yes, yes! "i'll have what she's having." LOL twould be very goodt indeed.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Darbonne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea on price? I'm guessing in the 3-4K range. Hope not.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's a beauty !!!
(From a guy who still likes longboards, besides shortboards... and thinks they're the most practical, for "most of the world" Smile

I'm NOT a Kona One expert at all... Is this a hi-end carbon version of the Kona One WITH an adjustable mast-track and better centerboard (and lighter and more fragile) ???

And yeah... I bet it'll be expensive...

Very happy to see the development. KEEP UP THE FINE WORK !!
Greg Smile
jamieinnyc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it does look very nice, but.. I hate to be the naysayer, and even so have to say I would never consider buying it. The whole point of Kona One is the one design fleet. This will not be class legal. That means there's no point. It will be slower than race boards, which it will match in price - so who buys that? It will beat all other big longboards in the surf though - but thats a very small market. Most surfing longboarders are on Exocet Cruise line now. Makes me think that the buyers of the Kona brand are having some problems with money.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamieinnyc wrote:
Well, it does look very nice, but.. I hate to be the naysayer, and even so have to say I would never consider buying it. The whole point of Kona One is the one design fleet. This will not be class legal. That means there's no point. It will be slower than race boards, which it will match in price - so who buys that? It will beat all other big longboards in the surf though - but thats a very small market. Most surfing longboarders are on Exocet Cruise line now. Makes me think that the buyers of the Kona brand are having some problems with money.

Nope, the point is that there are many people who love the Kona One's shape but want a board that is a lot lighter and supercharged to make the sailing even more fun.

Did you know that the Kona One is [i]faster[/] than any Raceboard when planing upwind is possible? It's true, the Kona One can be sailed upwind on the fin only and do so faster than any other longboard as well as beat most RS:X. It's also at least as fast as any Raceboard when going off the wind and planing, though you don't see the speed potential often due to the class rigs being used.

The Kona Carbone is about marshaling one of the greatest board designs ever and making a top-drawer version. And, no, I don't think Kona One AB is having money problems. Kona One is the fastest growing aspect of windsurfing right now because it appeals both to current windsurfers in a way that redefines windsurfing for many as well as to people who have no preconceptions of what windsurfing is. To them, Kona One is windsurfing because it's not really about the racing but about the community and friendship, about having a healthy activity that's easy to do together as a family.

So don't be that naysayer. Maybe the Kona Carbone isn't for you but you never know until you try. The first board was hoped to be at the Midwinters but it couldn't make it in time. They are coming, so I hope you get to try one.

gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan (or anyone involved with KonaOne) do you know the specs of this board?
Could you just type a short sentence with -
Vol
Length
Width
Weight
... between these two boards?

And, I don't even know from looking at the pics... Are they the exact same shape... but just manufactured differently... and with different components ???

"This" is the formula that the big 4 (Mistral, F2, Bic, Fanatic) did back in the day. When they had an excellent shape... they would produce it in 2 or 3 different construction's (sometimes, also with different components)... but the shape was exactly the same - Vol, length, width... only the weight was different. And, of course... the lighter ones cost more and were more fragile.
But depending on how practical you were... or addicted to racing you were... or how much money you had... ALL the different versions sold quite well.
Greg -
KevinDo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that is a pretty good looking board!
norcom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The length/width are printed on the side in one of the pics; it says 350/70. So that's the same as the Kona One. The shape to me looks identical to my Kona One, though I like the new color better.

Not many options out there for a good, affordable longboard. Kona One is heavy and I've had construction issues with two new ones. Some buyers remorse but it does go away on the days I get it going. Smile I don't race so it's not a big deal.

I wish Starboard would consider bringing the Serenity back. I'd love to upgrade my MK1. Wouldn't mind having the Phantom Race 377 either but the price puts me off. The in between mix of Exocet RS2 is tempting as well.

Need to start working on the Superlight II in the garage. Too lazy to glue the HomeDepot vinyl panel gasket on it. Laughing
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is exactly the same as the Kona One in shape. Same mold. Joachim told me he simply wanted to make a carbon layup for the heck of it, just for a lark but it came out so well he thought he could introduce the CarbOne as another way to bring more people into Kona One racing.

Norcom, what construction issues have you experienced?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: