myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gear Reviews Anyone?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
norcom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinook has dacron sails:
http://www.chinooksailing.com/products/product_info.php?cPath=71_73&products_id=230

I'd love to try one but I'm not a huge fan of the one Superfreak I have. I do love all of my Ezzys.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could sail any brand I want; I choose Northwave. We can have them built of any material we want; I choose Dacron.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I "could" sail any brand I want;

I just cant afford them.

http://www.5-oceans.com/

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
keycocker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link is to north wave is to a sail with a Dacron panel.
The Freaks are all Dacron without even a mono window. The new Dacron resists stretch because it has Kevlar kite lines arranged along the stretch lines.

Downhaul on Freaks doesn't look the same as on others. Many folks put in too little which makes them feel clumsy.
I found the chinooks a bit clumsy also. They are modest priced Ezzys not made for more advanced sailors.
They also make freaks out of kite material which makes them remarkably light but perhaps not as durable.
My oldest freaks are starting to get torn seams when I abuse them, but the material is still solid. When I had an eight year old one patched at Hot I complained that those sails were supposed to last forever weren't they?
Tom said" only if you don't take them out of the bag"
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed Bird Island yesterday with a rented 2013 Fanatic Freewave 115 and Ezzy Cheetah 6.5 and had a great time. The board was really nice. I was pleasantly suprised. It gybed very nicely. The 2013 Cheetah's are gorgeous! I wish I would have spent more time tuning it but all and all very nice sail. I can't say enough about the service at Worldwinds. Don and company are great, personable folks and do their best to make sure everyone has a great time.
Damn the water is salty here!

nw30

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got another totally biased opinion.

Still using std. diameter masts, SNAP OUT OF IT!!!!!!!!!! (pun intended)
RDM's are the way to go, they are so worth the money.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
RDM's are the way to go, they are so worth the money.

Only if you're breaking masts. I've never noticed any other advantage to them unless a mast sleeve is really tight.
Waterat Pat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course gear reviews are subjective but you can get an idea of what the poster likes and dislikes. Or we could all just read the ads which means everything is WONDERFUL!
U2 I have contacted the admin in the past about this and they don't really care.
Lastly ever try to duck dive that SDM mast in big surf getting pounded on the inside? You would be switchin' to skinnies.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of examples of bias already, those guys knowing ONLY the gear they chose to use, not knowing every other brand of sails make about the same thing, or slightly worse, or slightly better, than their "cherished" brand.
Nobody can really say which sail brand is the best. The best is the one you use, of course. NP, North, Gaastra, Maui, Hot, Ezzy, Northwave, Sailworks, don't matter, it all works well.
Same with boards.
The PILOT matters.
3-phase

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Lots of examples of bias already, those guys knowing ONLY the gear they chose to use, not knowing every other brand of sails make about the same thing, or slightly worse, or slightly better, than their "cherished" brand.
Nobody can really say which sail brand is the best. The best is the one you use, of course. NP, North, Gaastra, Maui, Hot, Ezzy, Northwave, Sailworks, don't matter, it all works well.
Same with boards.
The PILOT matters.

Laughing Laughing
Good input, you forgot AHD Boards, KA Sail and Select fins haha. (I use them)
The reason gear review often does not work is the bias of the tester as well of the Magazine / Web page. (aka you don't pay for ads your stuff will not be tested)
The Gear review on a forum I think would work better as long the real person is named as tester so if John from Airotech test my AHD Sealion and he thinks it sucks but Bill Bell says its the best he ever sailed in less the 15 miles wind and waves in Hatteras you can judge the info. If poster "really funny" signed up yesterday writes some thing about my stuff it means nothing. Only with revealed Identity and location we all can benefit and have a good discussion. From the discussion manufacturer even can learn what the market really needs.
Example some on the beach said the list prices are crazy and what really matters is the street price / performance you get per $$. So WS adjusted the retail to reflect that.

Aloha and thanks for good feedback and ideas to make stuff better.
Jurg
www.windsurfdeal.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: