myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gear Reviews Anyone?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waterat Pat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Gear Reviews Anyone? Reply with quote

I have often wondered why this forum has no designated area for gear reviews? With demos really hard to come by unless you live in the gorge or Maui it could really help the buyer identify what works and vice versa.
A simple format would be to put the gear name/description in the subject body. Tell us what you like and dislike. Include a picture if possible. At the end let us know if you had to do it over would you buy it again.
They do this on the Seabreeze forum in Oz and it is very informative.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Newbie?
Everyone knows the analysis is based on bias, inexperience, location, conditions. Always has been, always will be Cool Cool
kmf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All analysis is based on bias, experience level, location, conditions, and expectations. That doesn't mean that it useless tho....

KMF
nw30

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ezzy makes the best sails.
That's my biased opinion, and I'm sticking to it.
keycocker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ezzy makes really good mono sails. Only Hot makes soft dacron sails which are really good for old guys, mean gusty conditions and guys who sail 250 days a year and want their sails to last for a thousand or more sessions.
They go flat when you jibe or tack because they are soft. This reduces the pull from the sail during the turn, but are harder to adjust correctly.
They aren't good inland because they go flat in wind shadows when you actually need them to retain shape to pull through the lull.
Living in Maui....
Goodwind

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker said:

Quote:
Only Hot makes soft dacron sails which are really good for old guys, mean gusty conditions and guys who sail 250 days a year and want their sails to last for a thousand or more sessions.
They go flat when you jibe or tack because they are soft. This reduces the pull from the sail during the turn, but are harder to adjust correctly.
They aren't good inland because they go flat in wind shadows when you actually need them to retain shape to pull through the lull.

I totally agree. I've been sailing my Superfreaks, about 100 days a year, for five or six years now and wondering if they will eventually out last me. They have great range and easy to sail when overpowered or in gust. The down side appears to be lacking power to complete turns smoothly as water gets rough. What do you mean by "harder to adjust correctly"? Perhaps there is something I should do differently.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps petition the forum to have a separate index for just gear reviews

Not matter who does the tests, experienced or not, brain dead or not , they are interpretive to what that or they prefer in a particular trait, what is early planing
to one is slo to another. What is loose to me on a quad is firm to someone used to a single.

so any reflections are subjective.
As a guide any reports they would be useful. But realize team riders and aficionados of the brand will have slanted remarks

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windgood wrote:
keycocker said:

Quote:
Only Hot makes soft dacron sails which are really good for old guys, mean gusty conditions and guys who sail 250 days a year and want their sails to last for a thousand or more sessions.

I totally agree. I've been sailing my Superfreaks, about 100 days a year, for five or six years now and wondering if they will eventually out last me. They have great range and easy to sail when overpowered or in gust. The down side appears to be lacking power to complete turns smoothly as water gets rough. What do you mean by "harder to adjust correctly"? Perhaps there is something I should do differently.

Good God. Perfect examples of the misleading, even flat out factually wrong, info available on the internet.

Last edited by isobars on Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
capetonian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Cool Newbie?
Everyone knows the analysis is based on bias, inexperience, location, conditions. Always has been, always will be Cool Cool

Still better than the review vacuum I currently operate in.

Besides, hang around here long enough and you get to know people's biases anyway.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windgood wrote:
keycocker said:

Quote:

There are some other companies that have Dacron in sails. Having most variety of Superfreaks , Classic ,UL, ME I am a huge fan. I hardly think they are Geritol oriented.

Ezzys kids rig in one version is Dacron.
http://www.ezzy.com/sails/kids-rigs/

Northwave use some as well..
http://northwavesails.com/sails/zxse_rigging.html

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: