myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Need advice on Choice of Board (RRD AVR 145L)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ganpath@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Need advice on Choice of Board (RRD AVR 145L) Reply with quote

I am a beginner and surfed for a year using a 180L GO board and 6M sail in San Diego. I am looking to take the next step.
I am eyeing this RRD AVR Freeride 145L board with a 7.5L sail (thin mast etc) that is for sale locally. I weigh 162 lbs.
http://www.robertoriccidesigns.com/y10/equipment.html

What do you guys think of this board? I am only looking for freeride recreational use. Woud appreciate your advice.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great... and you're light... with a nice kit... it should be VERY fun Smile

How much wind (in knots or mph) do you get there?

What wind strength are you looking to use this new gear in?

How often do you get "that wind"... when you're available to get out sailing?

Just curious...
Greg Smile
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a older RRD of 135L, it did well an I liked it

Depending on what else may be considered, this would be fine as a step down from the GO.

you may be able to go slightly larger on the sail 8.5m ..? but then not gain much or any advantage on better performance.

Of course you need to judge the $$ with condition .........

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
rhorton1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent 3 years windsurfing in San Diego before moving to a windier locale last year, and I don't know if the RRD board is the best fit for you. There's a reason you see a lot of Formula boards in SD - the wind rarely gets above 12mph. Even with your light weight and a maxing out the sail size on that board, I think you'll have a hard time planing most days and spend a lot of time slogging.

IMHO, I would hold out for a board thats at least 85cm wide, and with your weight... probably an 8.5 or 9.0 sail (2-cam or no-cam.... screw race sails). However, if you're holding on to that GO... then this RRD may suit you well for when fronts roll through and the wind picks up for an hour, or may be fun for for sailing knee-high surf.

Alternatively (not meaning to start a forum war or hijack your thread), an old longboard (a race board is even better) is a total blast in SD. I would HIGHLY recommend spending $100 on one to increase your time on the water. In my last year there, I used my F2 Lightening Race more often than any other board. No need for a giant sail, and you'll be on the water when all the others are waiting for the wind to come up! And when the wind does finally arrive, you'll be in good shape for it with all the practice you've been getting in the 8-12mph wind range.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't see you hi jacking the thread, an alternative view, with a first hand prospective.

I think he has in the GO and big olde slab to dodge around on. So the RRD does make sense to me.

my 2¢

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"" I think he has in the GO and big olde slab to dodge around on. ""

Yes, but... with rhorton1's suggestion... he'd go faster and more places and more up and down wind practice with "speed" (that is, relative to the Go)... in those light winds.
San Diego winds... sounds a lot like Seattle (and most of the rest of the world... except for the notably WINDY places).
Yeah... I'd vote with rhorton1.

And with the right raceboard, like what rh1 used... he'll plane in about the same wind as he would with a FW.
At least I at 200# plane at about the same marginal wind speed or maybe 1-2 mph more on a raceboard, as compared to my Starboard FW, using the same sail. (And I've also compared it to my peers, who are more experienced than me on FW.) Anyway yes, I do know how to pump... but no, I'm not an expert pro level sailor... just an avid rec. sailor, with many years experience.

And the original poster says he's a beginner, has sailed 1 year... so he would absolutely go farther, faster, and more often, on a raceboard... compared to a FW, or a big freeride board.
IMO,
Greg -
rhorton1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
don't see you hi jacking the thread, an alternative view, with a first hand prospective.

I think he has in the GO and big olde slab to dodge around on. So the RRD does make sense to me.

my 2¢

Good point U2. Ganpath - If you keep that big wide GO in your quiver than the RRD would be a good addition to your board rack. Just don't be expecting to use it every time you go out!
jillblack

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys...it was really helpful!! pokiesslotmachines.com.au
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: