myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Want to try wave sailing this season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in SanRafael for 10 years, from '85 thru '95.
Dillon for anyone is over an hour's drive, time better spent going to Waddell/Davenport.
Stinson before the wind comes up is a viable alternative, as good as Waddell quite often, but smaller, easier waves and a pure sand bottom. Ranger's tell you to launch just N of the N parking lot. BEFORE THE NW winds come up, meaning late AM and earliest PM's. After around 2, the winds clock NNW at Stinson, and become shifty light side/offshore. Even the kiter's don't mess with that scenario.
vbr1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent man go for it. wavesailing is very rewarding and addictive. It beats going back and forth all day for sure.

I think San Carlos is about the best place to begin and continue to refine wavesailing on the west coast. The wave is fairly slow and mostly mushy so it isn't too intimidating. Going to one of the many clinics that Solosports puts on will teach you years worth of technique in a very short period of time.

The only downside to San Carlos is the dickweed who runs Solosports.
Limit your exposure to him and you will have a great time.

Rock on and have fun
pzwinakis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waddell (or any decent wave-sailing spot for that matter):

If you sail off the beach, fall down right in the middle of where the best waves are breaking (or get swept downwind into where the best waves are breaking) and end up making a bunch of waves go by unridable because you're right where everybody wants to be - then you do deserve to get yelled at. Not the best way to make friends.

If by chance on the other hand, you are self-aware. Sail or kite off the beach away from the main action - and end up crashing and swimming a bit… no big deal at all. No-one has any reason to give you grief.

As far as Waddell being dangerous. That's funny. If you think that, you need to try some other spots..

Waddell is a good place to learn to wave sail in the summertime if the surf is small and you sail away from others. It's a really big beach.

Use common sense. If in doubt, ask questions when you're there.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, PuntaSanCarlos is the easiest, slowest moving, softest wave you can find amongst popular wave riding spots.
capetonian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

victor wrote:
and a sailer at jalama was killed last year.

I didn't know that, tell me more?
trburl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sailor died at Jalama last year. A surfer was bitten basically in half at Surf Beach near Vandenberg Air Force Base and died from blood loss on scene.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/23/us/california-shark-attack-death/
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And while we're at it, don't forget box jellyfish, moray eels, stingrays, and the dreaded red tide.
If you look hard enough, you can find something that will kill you.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, did I forget?
Mad white sperm whales. Giant angry squid. Turkey and lion fish. Packs of rabid barracuda. The Gorgon.
victor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>No sailor died at Jalama last year.

i stand corrected. yes, it was a surfer if you have to get technical. it was still a human in the water in a wetsuit. did the shark care what he was riding?

actually, only one windsurfer has been the vicitim of a shark attack in california since 2000. at davenport, last october.
loopy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

victor wrote:

i stand corrected. yes, it was a surfer if you have to get technical. it was still a human in the water in a wetsuit. did the shark care what he was riding?

actually, only one windsurfer has been the vicitim of a shark attack in california since 2000. at davenport, last october.

just to be clear, that sailor was unharmed, though the impact from the attack threw him off his board and broke his mast. aside from new gear, he probably needed to get a new wetsuit also.

this is not the only incident either. 9/27/95, another windsurfer was attacked by a shark at the same spot. i've personally seen 11 sitings myself through the years. and they're not just during sharktober months.
i saw them 2x in april, 1x in june, 4x in july, 2x in august and 2x in september.

anyway, as the saying goes, you're part of the food chain when you enter the ocean. as others already mentioned, know the ocean (tides, currents, reefs, rips, etc.). don't count on others to rescue you -- don't go further than you're willing to swim (remember ocean is a lot colder as well). consider your gear as consumable items. i think all wave sailors know how to fix their own boards and tape up their sails. you'll need backups for your backup stuff. know the rules and enjoy the sport!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: