myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Dangerous Dog Poop and Unstable Owners
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riptide

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Dangerous Dog Poop and Unstable Owners Reply with quote

Two weeks ago a dog walked over a windsurfers sail and was mentioned to the dog owner and the dog owner threatend the windsurfers.

There are a population of dog owners who lose their minds if even questioned as to their conduct/behavior, let alone contacted by law enforcement. And most of the time it’s not the dog who present the danger, it’s the owners. Oh yeah, then there’s the dogs. Be sure to comment this sping as the DOG nuts will be all over this, we need to rain in these dog nut idiots that are ruining the GGNRA including Crissy Field.
http://www.nps.gov/goga/parkmgmt/dog-management.htm
Crissy Field is not “an area where dogs are allowed to run loose.” Crissy Field is an area open to all, especially to the Park Police supervising it as part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area. Officially Crissy Field is an area where dogs must be ON LEASH, unless they are under VOICE CONTROL.
Voice control means the dog comes when called, not just if it has nothing better to do, not just when it feels like it, but reliably, all the time.

http://www.nps.gov/goga/parkmgmt/pets.htm

Part of this I wrote last year when I saw a pit bull attacking a police horse, and the police officer was thrown to the ground and rendered unconsious...the dog commminity was blaming the Police officer and Horse. http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Vicious-dog-beats-death-sentence-in-SF-4188223.php

I just came off the water yesterday and had my new 10 m Kite on the grass and two old fat brown labs walked over to my kite and one lifted his leg to mark my kite, but instead took a shit on it and the turds rolled down the canopy leaving brown streaks on my kite. The owner apologized, picked up the turds and left me with dog shit streaks on my kite.

This could have been avoided if the owner had his dogs on leash.

The rigging area is mostly dried up dog shit now with some dirt and grass.Thank You.

Dangerous Dog Poop?

Author: Wiki Pets

Cleaning up after your dog can be a stinky job, but someone's gotta
do it.. Constant clean up is necessary for a healthy environment
for you and your family.

Is Dog Poop Dangerous??

Love, food, and shelter were all things you actively agreed to
providing for your new pet when you purchased or adopted them.
Sanitation and cleanup are also important facets of pet ownership
that are critical to the health and well-being of your entire
family.

Dog feces is as high as 3rd on the list of contributors to
contaminated water. Cleaning up after your dog is one guarantee in
the life of every pet owner. Left un-checked, your yard can quickly
turn into a mine field of feces in a week or less. On average, dogs
do a number two twice per day which adds up to about 14 piles of
poo in just one week, per dog. Contrary to popular belief, dog
feces is not fertilizer and does not provide any benefit to the
soil.

So whats in it?

Dog feces may contain parvovirus, whipworms, hookworms, roundworms,
threadworms, campylobacteriosis, giardia, and coccidia. If left
unattended, these parasites will contaminate the water, soil, and
can even cause infection in both pets and humans (especially
children). The microscopic Hookworm larvae can be passed to another
pet or person directly through the skin or by accidental ingestion
as can other bacteria.

Which parasites can humans acquire?

Yes, humans are capable of contracting hookworms, tapeworms,
threadworms and campylobacteriosis. This is the most significant
reason to avoid allowing dogs (especially puppies) to like your
face and mouth - affectionately known as "puppy kisses". If a dog
has recently eaten feces or attempted to groom their hind quarters
and come into contact with this infectious material, there is a
chance the parasites will be passed directly into your mouth.
Children are especially venerable to infection because they tend to
enjoy playing in the dirt, where parasites such as hookworm larvae
lay dormant waiting for a new host. Young children may also put
dirty hands or toys in their mouth, further increasing the chance
for infectious material consumption.

Disease prevention

Pet feces can be catastrophic to the local water table,
contaminating nearby ponds, lakes, rivers and drinking water. When
feces is allowed to remain on the soil for long periods, rainstorms
will begin to dilute and break apart the feces and slowly spread
the bacteria on other contaminants into local water sources. If
your yard happens to hold water for extended periods of time, the
problem may be amplified.

To avoid potential infection, dog feces should be removed from the
yard every 1 - 7 days, depending on the size of the dog and number
of dogs in the household. Larger dogs will need more frequent
cleanup, as will households with more than 1 dog. A family with one
Pomeranian will have a much lower environmental impact than the
family with 2 Great Danes.

If you are too busy to clean up after your dog, or the thought of
it just makes you gag, there are many services available today,
such as Pet Butler, that will gladly do the dirty work for you. A
sanitation expert will locate and remove any feces found on
premises 1 or more times per week usually from around $10.00. Some
areas do have legal statutes that regulate the cleanup and disposal
of pet waste, so be sure to contact your local health board for
more information.
VinceSF

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Riptide for spending the time to post this very good information.
I know we've probably all have ran into an idiotic dog owner at Crissy.
keeping in mind that a large majority are good and responsible but there will always be outliers.
I remember very well that the GGNRA have been trying to ban dogs at Crissy for a long time. That means that they are waiting for incidents to supplement their case.
You can be sure that I will (and encourage everyone to do as well) remind those outliers of this fact. It takes only one village idiot to ruin it for everybody (whether it's going to war, or walking your dog).
meyer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been windsurfing and walking my dogs at chrissy for over 20 years and it is true that some dog owners fail to properly control their dogs. It is also true that some kiters don't know how to handle their kites on the beach, does that mean we should ban kites because a few kiters don't know how to control their kites? I have seen idiot kiters at chrissy, but I don't think all kiters should be banned because of the stupidity of a few, and I feel the same about off leash dogs. Most dogs at chrissy are well behaved as are most kiters and sailors. Take the kite with the shit stain on it out in the bay and the water will clean it off while you have fun.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree with Vinny. Most people down there are pretty responsible but there are a subset of dog owners (really goes beyond dog owners) of people whose selfish and obnoxious behavior has been a problem for years. My advice is DO NOT BACK DOWN when they try to intimidate.

They have thrived for years by bullying and intimidation and most folks are usually in such shock at this behavior that they end up backing down and accepting the situation which only empowers these people further. Crissy Field belongs to all of us, including windsurfers, kitesurfers, walkers, runners, tourists, freaks, weirdos, bubble boys, etc, etc. I do believe that the recently installed dog shower will help things and that ulitmately they do need to designate zones where people can run their dogs off leash. In the mean time, stand up for yourselves!
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For many decades, one of life's greater personal rewards has been watching dogs play unfettered. Their antics and agility are amazing, and an exhausted pup dead to the world after hard play is a thing of beauty. Back when I camped and sailed alone, I'd let my well-behaved dogs run loose 24/7 unless there were hazards like traffic or large numbers of coyotes within a few hundred yards.

No mas. I now camp and sail with many other people, who have a right to clean lawns for their gear and kids and bare feet, to eating a meal sitting on the ground without a facefull of hungry pup, and to come back to their clean camper bed without finding a soaked St. Bernard sleeping in it. My dogs keep me from traveling by air, but they no longer go WSing with me. Of the hundreds of dogs I've seen loose in the Gorge, about two stayed within arm's length of their owner and zero go all day without peeing or pooping right where kids play. Some owners will respond to peer pressure, others only to legal enforcement, a few not even to that. At that point stronger incentives and methods are necessary for some particular dogs and owners who don't give a crap about anyone but themselves. Many suggestions along those lines have appeared in previous threads on this topic, and SEARCH and Google are very useful in this matter.
hemmy007

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Dangerous Dog Poop and Unstable Owners Reply with quote

Riptide wrote:
Two weeks ago a dog walked over a windsurfers sail and was mentioned to the dog owner and the dog owner threatend the windsurfers.

There are a population of dog owners who lose their minds if even questioned as to their conduct/behavior, let alone contacted by law enforcement. And most of the time it’s not the dog who present the danger, it’s the owners. Oh yeah, then there’s the dogs. Be sure to comment this sping as the DOG nuts will be all over this, we need to rain in these dog nut idiots that are ruining the GGNRA including Crissy Field.
http://www.nps.gov/goga/parkmgmt/dog-management.htm
Crissy Field is not “an area where dogs are allowed to run loose.” Crissy Field is an area open to all, especially to the Park Police supervising it as part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area. Officially Crissy Field is an area where dogs must be ON LEASH, unless they are under VOICE CONTROL.
Voice control means the dog comes when called, not just if it has nothing better to do, not just when it feels like it, but reliably, all the time.

http://www.nps.gov/goga/parkmgmt/pets.htm

Part of this I wrote last year when I saw a pit bull attacking a police horse, and the police officer was thrown to the ground and rendered unconsious...the dog commminity was blaming the Police officer and Horse. http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Vicious-dog-beats-death-sentence-in-SF-4188223.php

I just came off the water yesterday and had my new 10 m Kite on the grass and two old fat brown labs walked over to my kite and one lifted his leg to mark my kite, but instead took a shit on it and the turds rolled down the canopy leaving brown streaks on my kite. The owner apologized, picked up the turds and left me with dog shit streaks on my kite.

This could have been avoided if the owner had his dogs on leash.

The rigging area is mostly dried up dog shit now with some dirt and grass.Thank You.

Great post.

As someone who has been surfing, WS, and beach diving since the 70s, I have come into contact with every type of dog owner at the beach scene I have visited.

I also had a dog for my whole childhood, but we were taught to take care of the dogs, took our two dogs to training classes and never took them to public areas to run off leash. Seems the bay area dog people are the most self-absorbed, clueless & entitled people I have ever met, especially the dog owners in SF.

The poop is a big problem and it seems when you make a note to the owners, you are being a jerk. We have an early morning dog in our immediate block, where I walk my kids to school five days a week, that leaves a massive donkey dump, on the roadside and on the sidewalk at least once a week. I guess the other days, they leave it on someones lawn where I do not see it. It has gotten so bad that we are thinking of setting up a cam to catch these delta bravos. We know we are looking for a very, very large dog and a clueless and self-absorbed owner, probably constantly talking on their iPhone. Wink I see this at herd ave and the beaches in SC too, which is odd b/c beaches in SC have a leash law for the most part.

Dogs off leash suck and I have seen so many times dogs run over sails and un inflated kites, and the owners could care less, even if they are there to WS/KS.

I also have had owners leave there dog tied to the back of there car bumper with a 20 ft leash, right next to my car, so when I come back from my session, I am attacked and can not even get to my gear or water, and then I have had the owner yell at me as not being dog-friendly when I pointed out that they pet is not as nice in their absence.

And please, do not bring your dog out to your favorite KS/WS spot as an 'accessory' and then just leave it there for 3 hours while you go out and recreate. Leave the DOG HOME where it is cool and we do not have to listen to it bark while you are out enjoying your session.

The dog off leash can very, very sad and upsetting for everyone. About ten years ago at a SC WS beach, we were enjoying the mellow glow after a three hour epic wave session and a beer to watch the sunset.

Then, two dogs with the same group of people were 'playing' illegally off leash on the beach, one was a very large Rottweiler mix and one was a very small white fluffy dog. Well, when the 'playing' got too rough the Rottweiler could not be controlled b/c it was not on a leash and it ripped the smaller dog in half right in front of my eyes.
Then we watched the little girl wrap her dog up in a towel and run hysterically past us, all images I will never forget. Fun Times!

Keep your dog on a leash, especially if it is the law. ;-O
chophop

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Rigitoni, stand your ground. Of course the problem is all over. I politely told a young mellow dude that his dog had just taken a shit (right in the rigging area) and he flew into a rant about how egotistical "you windsurfers are" then he walked away without picking it up. May I suggest carrying a plastic bag and politely telling the owner his dog just... use a euphenaism and saying... need a bag? Twisted Evil
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meyer wrote:
does that mean we should ban kites because a few kiters don't know how to control their kites? ... I don't think all kiters should be banned because of the stupidity of a few, and I feel the same about off leash dogs. ... Take the kite with the shit stain on it out in the bay and the water will clean it off while you have fun.

Few kites bite bystanders. Fewer kites transmit disease. Few kites break laws. Few kites puncture sails and other kites. In the Gorge states of WA and OR, if two people complain to the law that a particular unleashed dog frightened them, the dog is seized by the law and put to death with zero recourse. Believe it or not, dig bites are dangerous, and some victims and/or their parents will take action to prevent or end the problem.

No, the OWNER gets to clean the contaminated gear. That's not the victim's job. Believe it or not, some people actually don't like excrement on their equipment, feet, clothes, bedding, kids, etc. We've all seen some nasty encounters over dogs; in one case a violent physical assault contributed to the permanent end of a close friendship after a close encounter with a random stale dog turd on the ground.

After my wife had to fight off a 200-pound dog as it was gutting our 80-pound dog, we armed ourselves and went dog hunting. I even saw a LAT newspaper editorial by one of this forum's members advocating shooting barking dogs. Take a hint and be a responsible owner.
windoggi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then there's Pt Isabel....our launch is an off leash dog park where coexistence rules. Live it, or live with it. I just carry extra plastic bags in my truck to clear the rigging area.
wavezz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Poopy 10m. not so nice. Reply with quote

skid marks on your ten, that's epic !! er, maybe not so..
seriously messed up.

Unfortunately, none of the offending 'doggy do bad' are going to read that thread. I dig dogs, but frankly see the same pressure at many coast beaches, when 9000 cars head over to hwy-1 on the weekend, a ton of dog poop courtesy of the valley. And yea, I have my own dog problems (love to chase cars). anyone can see weekend impact every monday & tuesday (plastic bottles, trash, baby diapers). have to wonder sometimes. but hey, at least they didn't try to stab you because you aren't in the 'dog gang' or your hoodie is the wrong color. 1 stabbing, 1 drive by shooter at the bus stop, and 2 dead police officers; yeah that's santa cruz this past month. maybe a thread on crack needle exchange? - kidding, kidding.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: