myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board Bag Sizing Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KevinDo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Board Bag Sizing Question Reply with quote

Hey Folks,

Quick question regarding board bags. I'm about to order a NP Performer board bag for my rocket which is 245 x 61. Are the boardbags (windsurf ones) size take into account foot straps? If not should I order one maybe 5cm bigger? I'm currently looking at the 250 x 65 one. Thanks!

-Kevin

PS: anyone know of any board bag that will fit a 279 x 70 cm or a 272 x 65cm board? Ever since MFGs have been making shorter boards, it seems hard to find a board bag for my old HiFlys. Been using a WAY bigger formula board bag to hold it... Thanks!
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most board bags will accommodate straps if for no other reason than the straps will crush a bit even in a tight bag. The fit issue usually is width. On a really tight bag the zipper won't close but often one will see plenty of room for the straps of only it would zip tight in the first place.

Bags are sized by internal dimensions so going by stated specs only usually works just fine. The 65cm one will fit with a lot of excess or extra room.

A snug bag gives the most protection to the board everything else being equal, but a looser bag makes it easier to insert a wet board and will allow faster drying of wet straps. Not that either is a great practice. Also,some people shove sails into their board bag when traveling. Consider your habits in that regard as well.

Finally, consider how you transport your boards. Many bags are shaped with a clear deck/bottom distinction and often include a reflective surface on only one side. Will that side be the primary "up" side on a roof rack? If not, you get little gain from the shiny bit facing your head except if your roof reflects a lot of heat. Then you want shiny side down or get a bag that's shiny on each side.

All the other factors are bells and whistles but worth checking, like fin opening and its length and location, overlapping foam rail protection, handle and shoulder strap, reinforcement of nose and tail, plus the way the zipper is stitched to the back. That last one will usually determine the bag's life span.

Or you can ignore all but the "yes" to your question and be just fine.

isobars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Board Bag Sizing Question Reply with quote

KevinDo wrote:
Are the boardbags (windsurf ones) size take into account foot straps?

PS: it seems hard to find a board bag for my old HiFlys.

I'll bet different bag makers size their bags differently, just as different sailmakers used to include or exclude the luff sleeve area from their sails' rated square meters.

PS: Let's see ... where to find older gear ... Oh, yes; Swap meets, big time, dirt cheap. Example: big, multi-compartmented, tough, very heavily padded, airline coffin bag for board plus boom ... NEW ... $20 ... BECAUSE it was not a shortwide. Fits my 2008 Naish wave perfectly. Used but sound lesser bags, $5-$20. Had to pay $50 once for a beat-up bag, though ... because it had a fantastic 3.2-5.2 Gorge board in it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: