myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Setup for a beginner
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RSPvideo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Setup for a beginner Reply with quote

First post! I'm hoping all you experienced people can share some good info!

I would like to get into windsurfing and am looking to purchase a used setup. I don't know anything about windsurfing, so all info is good!

Background info:
- I grew up surfing in New England
- I'm now land locked in Northern Vermont, close to Lake Champlain
- I have been sailing a 16' Hobie Cat for 4 summers, so I have a decent understanding of sailing small crafts
- I'm 5'10" 170 lbs
- Typical wind ranges from 5-20 knots
- Primary use will be on a lake with minimal (1-4') chop

What do I need for equipment? Board, mast, sail, harness? What specs should I be looking for? What other info should I provide?

Thanks for the help!
capetonian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best piece of advice I can give you is get a lesson from an experienced instructor. Something like this: http://abkboardsports.com/camps/details/282
It will save you endless frustration. Plus they will have the correct beginners equipment and can advise you on what to buy.

If that is not an option, look for a wide board (wider than 80 cm) with a daggerboard. Star-board Start or Rio are excellent. The Hifly boards are no longer made, but the Hifly Motion was a good durable cheap beginners board.

The beginners rig packages from Chinook are good value: http://www.chinooksailing.com/products/product_info.php?cPath=71_72&products_id=239
as are these packages: http://www.isthmussailboards.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RRD13ERR

If you put together an a la carte rig rather than a pre-package one like the ones above, I like the Hot Sails Maui Superfreak sails for learning, but most wave sails from the last 10 years should be fine. For your size and winds something around a 5.0 initially, and one you have a good understanding and want to go faster, a 6.0 will be a nice addition. You'll also need a mastfoot, a mast extension, a mast, probably a 430 cm will fit both a 5.0 and a 6.0 depending on the sail brand, and a boom that goes from about 160-210 cm should cover those sail sizes.

Pity you are in Vermont as I have the perfect beginners set up that I no longer need, but I am in Los Angeles. Sad
adywind

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, capetonian said it all. Get lessons - going by yourself thru the absolute beginner phase is soo not worth it!

Last edited by adywind on Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
mrchocky

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently selling a beginner's rig - I'm not trying to push it here, I may have a buyer, and you're in the wrong place. But you might what to know what's in it.

I started last yet with a real mismatch of stuff, and it took me some time to get stuff that worked properly together. It doesn't have to be fancy, and in some ways it's better that isn't, since you'll beat it up a lot. But it does have to fit together, and not be some super old gear.

What I put together is:

130L board
2-3 sails in the 4-6 range - older, but serviceable.
460 mast (although 430 might be a little bit better)
medium sized boom
mast base/universal/extension

Don't forget wetsuit/lifejacket/wetsuit boots and maybe gloves.

This type of setup is meant for *after* your first lesson. you'll be frustrated if you take it with no experience.
spennie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look around until you find another windsurfer. A posting here would be a good start. Most of us are friendly, helpful folk who'll be glad to help you find stuff, and maybe even spot you some free lessons. I'd do it, but I'm 3,000 miles away, like Capetonian!
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey RSP!

I used to sail Champlain all the time before I moved to NC. It's a SUPER fun place to sail. You'll have the best luck of meeting up with other folks up at Sandbar (the bridge on the way to South Hero). In south wind, you'll find people on the south side of the bridge. In north wind, you'll find people in the State Park, all the way down at the end of the parking area.

The main benefit of launching at Sandbar is that it's shallow, which makes it easier to get back up and running after you fall.

Look for early morning south winds during the summer (usually done by 10am)

Fall is the crazy windy season, with big big big days.

The water is freezing in the Spring, so make sure you have a good wetsuit...

For gear, try to find a beginner board if you can. Something with a dagger board and at least 200 liters. After a little practice, once you find yourself completely addicted, you'll use a ~130 and a ~100 liter board most of the time. For sails, start with something around a 5.5 or 6.0. Eventually, add a 7.5 and a 4.7ish, and you'll be totally set!

I know a good handful of sailors up there. PM if you want contact info. Very Happy

http://wind-nc.com
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spennie wrote:
Look around until you find another windsurfer. A posting here would be a good start. Most of us are friendly, helpful folk who'll be glad to help you find stuff, and maybe even spot you some free lessons. I'd do it, but I'm 3,000 miles away, like Capetonian!

I would agree with this, windsurfers are actually friendly mature people who like to help new people get into the sport, pretty much the complete opposite of surfers Surprised
And buy used gear, you will trash your gear learning.
Instruction would be nice but it may not be available or unaffordable.
I taught myself by watching instructional videos on youtube and some dvd's I bought.
3-phase

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give many lesson (couple hundred SUP / WS a year). That's my take.
A good instructor will with in 2 hours have you up and running on the basic of the sail, how to turn, sail back and forward, self rescue etc. This will cost you anywhere from $40 to $150 for 2 hours and will save you 25 hours X$%#^&# haha.
Join a club if there is one close by.

Then get a used big board and cheap Rig and spend a few weekends sailing.

After a while you ready to step up to some better used gear or new stuff.

happy sailing and welcome to WS

Jurg
www.windsurfdeal.com
d0uglass

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice from hodad.andy!

I also recommend a really big (200+ liter volume) board with a daggerboard. If you're buying new, the Kona ONE or Exocet WindSUP are nice boards to learn on that remain fun to sail in a variety of conditions.

If you want to do things on the cheap with used gear, I have written a "guide" for that. http://jimbodouglass.blogspot.com/2008/07/poor-persons-guide-to-windsurfing.html

Getting a lesson, or at least some set-up help from an experienced windsurfer, can be a HUGE help, potentially shortening a year-long learning process into a day-long learning process.

Lake Champlain should be an exciting spot to windsurf.

Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Setup for a beginner Reply with quote

RSPvideo wrote:

- I'm now land locked in Northern Vermont, close to Lake Champlain
Thanks for the help!

Sand Bar should be a perfect spot for you. Park beach is good for N-NW-W winds and the other side across the road for S directions. Though it is said to have water-weeds threre.
Myself I'm in central New Hampshire, mostly sailing Mascoma and Sunapee. Coming season planning to go to Lake Champlain (Sand bar). So, we can have a session together. I'm no pro, learning too, yet would be happy to share some experience.

Andrei.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: