myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Two weeks at La Ventana

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Two weeks at La Ventana Reply with quote

Coming back tomorrow from 2 weeks at La Ventana. Wonderful weather and 11 days of wind out of 14, sail sizes 4.0 to 4.7 most of the time and gently breaking swells up to mast high.

I forgot how nice the place is, it got way more built up than 10-15 years ago but it is still relatively, a bit noisy and with the stupid 4-wheels on the beach, but ok crowd wise (at least now, end of Feb/March, in January it is probably more of a zoo)

Kites outnumber windsurfers 3-5 to 1 and sadly there are no windsurfing schools left. But being here really takes home how much of a beach-sport Kiting is. A fun one for sure, and I would like to try it, but sail out 3-500 yards and suddenly there is no kite in sight. With the exception of the few daring kiters who risk the swim of their life out in open ocean the outside at La Ventana is just for windsurfers. And what a ride it is! 10-20 miles (all the way to the Lighthouse if one dares) of cross shore winds!!!!

Last edited by dvCali on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
vbr1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome that you enjoyed it there. The place is super fun.

Wyatt Miller and Tyson Porr have a fantastic set-up there and offer lessons from Nov-Feb.

They are excellent instructors and really embrace the La Ventana/Baja experience
dvCali

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, I forgot Tyson and Wyatt, sorrrrrry Glad to be back in San Francisco, and the season is starting! Very Happy
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting a thread on the "off topics" forum on Mexican dentists if any of you all have any experience.
dvCali

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention: I rented my equipment from Steven Winiarski at Ventana Windsports http://www.ventanawindsports.com/. Great place to stay and great selection of very good pre-rigged sails (3.7 to 7.5), boards (65 to 125+) and SUP.
nicolas72

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second this recommendation! We went to Baja for the first time a couple of weeks ago and stayed there too for a few days. Great vibe all around. I'll go back in a heartbeat.

Wind was moderate for a couple of days. These Fanatic boards they have were a blast though (the hawk in 110 and 120; the freewave in 95). This plus a couple of Tomales sessions scored and Crissy today, all in 4.7, make a great start for the season!
nicolas72

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second this recommendation! We went to Baja for the first time a couple of weeks ago and stayed there too for a few days. Great vibe all around. I'll go back in a heartbeat.

Wind was moderate for a couple of days. These Fanatic boards they have were a blast though (the hawk in 110 and 120; the freewave in 95). This plus a couple of Tomales sessions scored and Crissy today, all in 4.7, make a great start for the season!
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya check out our photo filled blog right here on iwindsurf.

Chronicles all the good times and ripping sessions of this season at Pro-Windsurf La Ventana with Tyson, all out great guests and I.

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25540

Windsurfing is only the start to the fun down here in La Ventana.

Cheers

ProWindPCLb_smallish.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  496.21 KB
 Viewed:  11068 Time(s)

ProWindPCLb_smallish.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: