myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Cabrillo Sensor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
allen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Cabrillo Sensor Reply with quote

Does anyone know if Iwindsurf plans to restore the Cabrillo sensor?

Perhaps with the dearth of windsurfers most Weatherflow customers are now kiters who don't use Cabrillo; hence, it doesn't make economic sense to fix the sensor.
cbknap

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this note from their tech support guys today after I complained (politely, two days ago) about the disconnected NWS feed that shows wind at LAX, LGB and SNA. I had added an 'oh by the way' note that the lack of data at Cabrillo is frustrating and causing people to cancel their memberships. Here's their reply:

Our data feed from these weather stations has been coming in late. We're looking into whether this is a NWS data feed issue or a problem on our end.

Regarding the Cabrillo Beach issue, we're still battling the government red tape to get appropriate permission to reinstall these sensors. We sincerely apologize for the long delay.

Thank you!
the WeatherFlow Team

In their defense, Cabrillo is a park that falls within both the city and county of LA, both notoriously bureaucratic, as well as under the Coastal Commission.

Nevertheless, in this day and age, installing a solar-powered, wireless-web connected wind sensor seems like child's play. Maybe I'll get my kid to do it as a science project.
benspikey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes please fix the season will be here soon!!

Imagine the loss in ad revenue with socal sailors not refreshing that page nonstop. Must be a fortune..

http://www.watchthewater.org/beach.cfm?bid=17

http://www.mxsocal.org/weather.aspx

I have been watching the belmont shores meter.
Hasn't looked too good and has been chilly..
capetonian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the message on the Cabrillo wind page today:

1/14/13: WE ARE INSTALLING THE NEW STATION ON WEDNESDAY JAN 14TH! Thanks to all of you that have been so exceptionally patient while we worked thru this difficult problem.

I guess they meant Wednesday the 16th - tomorrow!
benspikey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensor is back!..

Looks to be upgraded with a shorter period. every 2-3 mins.. Nice..
capetonian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whohoo!!! I just noticed the Cabrillo sensor is back on line. Thanks iWindsurf maintenance guys.

Since it is a new sensor, I'd be interested if someone at the beach can compare to actual wind speeds so we can all do our mental calibrations to true up to what to expect before heading out the door.
cbknap

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't been to the beach in the four hours this thing has been reporting but based on the super low friction spinners in use at other sites such as Belmont and Sunset, and the one operating here last year, I'd suggest using the lowest number reported as the average on WSW direction and discarding the high number.

You can also assume that the actual lull is about 10 mph lower than the gust up to about an average of 20, where you can minus off 22.

e.g.:

--reported wind of 12 to 18 average 16 WSW = 8-16 averaging 12

--reported wind of 18 to 28 averaging 24 wsw = 12-24 averaging 18.

On West direction the average reported is probably close to correct.

Thanks be to iwindsurf for finally getting this thing fixed!

--chris

UPDATED 01/22/13--yep sensor is within a few feet of previous location (though much better mounted) and is the same style as last year. Use the green line (lowest number) as a proxy for average wind.
allen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any further comments regarding the calibration of this sensor after the weekend of 2/2-2/3 which appeared to be pretty windy per the graphs?
cbknap

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confirmed: Use the green (low) line as a proxy for the average wind. Even then it is sometimes high. The real gust is somewhere between the blue and the red lines. The real lull is not depicted anywhere on the graf.

As an example, on Sunday I sailed during the windiest period, 1:45 to 3:15 pm. The graf purports to show an average wind of 22 mph at 2:30. Wrong.

My seat-of-the-harness estimate was 9 to 19 averaging 13,14 at 1:45 and 3:15 (no whitecaps showing) and 13-23 averaging 16,17 (plenty of whitecaps showing) at the peak, 2:30 to 2:45.

As another data point, I used a 7.8 and a 110 liter board the entire time.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The site says structural failure...again?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: