myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wind-SUP fun and the future of windsurfing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Wind-SUP fun and the future of windsurfing Reply with quote

I am sure this will come as no news to some but I took my Amundson Cross 11' wind-supping last weekend and I was kind of blown away. Surprised

I simply forgot how much fun is sailing in displacement with a long board. It is absurdly efficient, and gives an enormous sense of freedom. Just cruising around, no straps, relaxed, at three-four times the speed you can do when paddling ... and you can practice freestyle tricks.

Just to put in perspective: in almost no wind, sub-planing conditions, a friend of mine was out with a 7.5 and a 120L slalom, and I was passing him with a 5.2 and a tiny wave fin in all directions doing at least 30 degrees more upwind. As expected: you cannot beat length in displacement. And the Amundson was planing when the wind picked up!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

There was a long thread recently on the future of windsurfing and this might be a component: rediscover the real joy of sailing in displacement and follow a simple recipe:

0-5 knots: SUP
3-12 knots: Wind-SUP
10-40 knots: Windsurfing
spennie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent post, DVCALI! Can't wait to get a windSUP myself.

My friends & I used to toodle around on our old beginner boards, sometimes "racing"(not really), trying to knock each other off into the water, etc.. Tons of fun, and ramming was allowed!

flynbri

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah back in the early 80s when there was nothing but one design windsurfers we used to play "jousting" with each other. A couple of times I have taken my original gear out and sailed the bay in practically no wind and had a blast. I have taken my SUP out sailing and had a pretty good time cruzing around. My watermans table is a little different:

0-7 mph SUP
8-12 mph SUP with SUP KITE
12-30 mph Kite
30-60 mph windsurf
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Figure-8 racing ... only on plastic boards, please. We quit when boards went fiberglass.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, great post dvCali.
And I agree... longboard sub-planing windsurfing, isn't for everybody. Some only want to sail planing shortboards, and that's fine. I get it, and yeah, I like that too.
But I also still sail my longboard... just like everyone did, back in the day.

In fact, I just got home from sailing in Lake Wash. here in Seattle. (Gonna go unload the van, after I type this Smile

It's been blowing 5 to 20 all day in Seattle (and the lake).
Four of us were down at one of the "good parks"... me and another guy brought our longboards... and one that only sails shortboards... and one kiter.
The two of us on longboards sailed a couple hours (and still could be). The shortboarder shlogged around for a while, did get planing twice for maybe a min each time... and then, swam in. The kiter got all ready, but never left the beach.
The 4 of us were there at the same time. The kiter and shortboarder never really did anything. But, the 2 of us on longboards sailed as much as we wanted. Sometimes we were planing, often times we weren't, but we still were going pretty well. WAY faster than the shlogging shortboard.

Anyway... I'm not trying to talk anybody into it. I have plenty of good friends that only want to shortboard. And I have fun with them, when it's windy enough. Unfortunately, that's not very much of the time.

But, there are people that would sail longboards, if they thought it was "cool". Unfortunately, the windsurfing industry killed it, when they told everyone that longboards were only for beginners. And also that, you were a loser if you weren't planing on a shortboard.

Oh well, maybe if some of the people buying SUP's... but the wind-SUP's then we might build up some more longboard sailors like we used to have.

Yeah, the two of us had fun... got some fresh air and exercise... kept our balance sharp for shortboard days... and kept our hands tough with some good "boom time".

Ok, gotta hang up my sail and put my gear away,
Greg Smile
spennie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, too many people think longboarding isn't radical enough, can't be fun if it's not blowing 20+. I also know several guys who won't (and I mean WILL NOT) sail flat water at all, only waves.

My favorite comparison is to driving down the Pacific Coast Highway. Yes it's a blast to go 120 in your Lamborghini, but it's also fun to put the top down on your 1963 Eldorado and cruise along, enjoying the ride. (No, I don't own either car).

It's kinda like the people who won't use big sails, the "say no to 6.0" crowd. I can't count the times I've sailed my slalom gear ALONE in the Delta while bored sailors sit on the levy. They gape in astonishment as I walk by with my 8.2, hop on & blast away, then say "Why would anybody use a sail that big?" Well, I'm sailing and you're waiting, do the math!

isobars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregnw44 wrote:
the 2 of us on longboards sailed as much as we wanted ... a couple hours (and still could be)

That right there is a prime difference between displacement mode and shortboard sailing: Some of us never get as much shortboarding as we want. We hang it up for the day only because the daylight or the wind broke, not because we've had all the sailing we want. The differences, if there's significant terrain, include exhilaration, adrenaline, high alertness, and an altered state of consciousness. It's like the difference between cruising to Grandma's house in a minivan on the freeway for Easter Brunch today vs a 1,000 mile one-day road trip in a musclecar on two-lane blacktops before traffic radar existed ... essentially two different concepts employing vaguely similar equipment. The displacement hull and the minivan aren't as likely to distract kids from hormones and beeping toys as are sinkers, WIND, and big rollers.
trey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: light air Reply with quote

I don't SUP nor do I kite. But Spencer will testify that I am a master of light air sailing.Sometimes I enjoy my M3,sometimes my SUV. Sometimes more than others I sail 8.5.
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People often question my 155L freeride board. I take only one board (and until recently had only one), because I'm roof racking on an ordinary compact car.

Thing is that this board is quite good for displacement mode cruising in light airs, and when the wind picks up to where planing is feasible, it can go quite fast.

Some of my most relaxing sessions have been on relatively warm days when nobody else is out, just cruising around on 6.4 or 7.3. There can be room both for relaxing sessions and for thrilling ones.

This board does get to be troublesome in heavier short-period chop and in winds gusting past maybe 28MPH (can catch under the windward rail and flip the board while trying to position for waterstart - my skills are admittedly quite poor here).
3-phase

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flynbri wrote:

0-7 mph SUP
8-12 mph SUP with SUP KITE
12-30 mph Kite
30-60 mph windsurf

0-7 SUP
5-15 Sealion from AHD
15- as long I can hold on Windsurfing
Laughing Laughing

Aloha
Jurg
www.windsurfdeal.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: