myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kona 9.0 rigging help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darbonne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Kona 9.0 rigging help Reply with quote

Rigged my new Kona 9.0 yesterday for the first time. Luff is 522-526, boom is 244-248. Set my extension on 4cm with a 520 mast. Set my boom on 245. Followed the rigging guide from the Kona site. I think I got the downhaul correct because the leech looked right. I purposely over downhauled it and it was obvious because the leech was way too loose and the sail takes a funny shape. The problem I had was that batten #5 would not rotate and was still beside the mast even though I had about 8cm of outhaul tension. It makes sense to me that I needed more outhaul but it was really tight. Is more outhaul the only way to get that batten to rotate? I also tried adjusting the batten tension as stated in the tuning guide. I think I need to get the outhaul figured out first. Figuring all this out is part of being stuck in learning hell. Thanks for the help
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this sail was designed with stability and performance thru aggressive rigging and shape. i've found that IN WIND, the battens rotate fine. but in very light wind with virtually no tension with either down or out hauls then the battens will need to be forced around. that's the reality of getting the most out of an RAF sail.

the kona and zenith sails have a widely ranging tuning. but, one must pay close attn to finding the right tuning that differs from one individual to the next. i've ended up keeping the down haul rather loose into some pretty hefty winds, but that's me. i'm a power junky.

first time steve g. and i validated these sails we kept on releasing the down haul to make it feel like it had some low end. boy, does it ever when you get it right!

also, be super tight with the batten tension. makes the sail way more stable through out its use. http://www.aerotechsails.com/zenith09.html

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Darbonne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It says in the tuning guide that the battens should have an S shape. Here is what it looked like when I tensioned the battens. Based on your reply I was close. Think I'll rig it again.

Last edited by Darbonne on Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
westender

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks perfect.
westender

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I was kidding.

Is the mast too stiff? How could the mast be too stiff for a 9.

It's a Joke,, that I don't get?? Embarassed
Darbonne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it does look wrong. I didn't know if you were being sarcastic or not. Learning to windsurf in a vacuum makes it even harder. This board is one of the only places I can get advice, I'll even take the sarcasm. As for the mast joke, I don't get it either.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using the recommended mast? While the mast length might be correct, the question is whether the bend curve is ideal. Constant curve masts range from flex tops to hard tops, to include those that could be categorized as in between (usually from those non-sail companies that specialize in mast manufacture). What do the folks at Exocet have to say about the recommended mast design? I would ask them whether your specific mast is right for the sail. Lastly, to know what you've really got in a sail, you need to rig it and use it sailing a number of times to allow it to stretch out a bit.
Darbonne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the Kona mast. I bought the entire rig.
westender

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would loosen all the battens so there is no tension. I'd say they're WAY too tight. De tension the outhaul. Downhaul till the leach loosens up and gets a little floppy. Then you can go about playing with the outhaul and tightening the battens. I'm no big sail expert but that sail looks sad.

Bottom batten looks fine.

Middle battens too tight, not enough DH. Try that.
bmoore98

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, the NTWR spring event is April 20th - 21st. I'm available all day on the 19th to help sort out your windsurfing/rigging issues. Come play!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: