myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wrist brace to hook onto the boom
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
volley1961

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Wrist brace to hook onto the boom Reply with quote

Does anybody know about a "wrist brace" that will hook onto a boom to relieve pressure on the hand and fingers. I remember seeing one advertised in the mags. It would really help with my Carpal tunnel problem.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about this idea a long time ago. I too have the same problem, with fingertips turning white and numb. Never seen anything advertised, but have not read a windsurfing mag in years.
thombiz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I endured the pain and discomfort of Carpal Tunnel problems for years, then had the release surgery. Wow, what an improvement. I didn't realize how painful it was until the pain went away. It hasn't come back and I sail about 140 days a year. That could be the answer you're looking for.....
keycocker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have weak wrists and often sail with one hand at my side without thinking about it. My lines are adjusted correctly.
I had to learn to lose my death grip at any time and just put my fingertips lightly over the top of the boom without really gripping it.
My own gear serves as demos for selling sales at my shop.
Clients mention that my lines are better placed than their own and ask for placement tips.
It helps that we kept most of our sails rigged permanently so the booms didn't move from sail to sail. If you keep your lines in the same place when you change to a meter bigger or smaller your lines are surely placed wrong for one of those sails.
kmf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having the harness lines in the right place is critical to hand grip problems. I recommend purchasing a set of Dakine mono harness lines. These force you to adjust the harness lines in exactly the right place. I purchased a set last summer, and now find that my hands can be placed lightly on the boom without any grip issues at all. Much more comfortable.

And as a bonus, I have been sailing this winter, using a set of mittens, and find that since I don't have to have a death grip on the boom with the mono harness lines, my hands and wrists don't cramp up and thus I can sail longer.
Who would have thought.

KMF
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Wrist brace to hook onto the boom Reply with quote

volley1961 wrote:
Does anybody know about a "wrist brace" that will hook onto a boom to relieve pressure on the hand and fingers. I remember seeing one advertised in the mags. It would really help with my Carpal tunnel problem.

I use these for weightlifting, http://versagripps.com/how-to-use
I suppose they could be used for windsurfing.
There are other types that have a metal hook but I think you would get launched if you used those for windsurfing.
killeen_john

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing these in the back of one of the windsurfing magazines, but have no first hand experience:

http://www.solutionsdept.com/palmharness/
techno900

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a product on the market for a short time about 25 years ago much like the thing that John posted.

A friend tried them, but the issue was how to let go of the boom if you got tossed (you didn't). A bit of a problem on tacks and gybes too. Not good for novices, but advanced sailors could get used to them I suppose.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As KMF touched on, our hands are for jibing and down the line wave sailing, not "ordinary" windsurfing. Your harness should carry the entire average (DC) load, with hands merely tweaking the sheeting angle (the AC part of the load). You could even learn to push, rather than pull, on the boom except when sailing unhooked for jibes and tricks.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what you need is gymnastics style grips. There is a company that makes wakeboarding gloves with a similar design, it takes 90% of the pressure off of your hands/wrists and puts it onto your arm bones. I forget what theyre called, but ill see if I can find them
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: