myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sequestration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
who cares about any of this mumbo -jumbo...all you smart guys are correct. I am also correct when I tell you we are 100 points from an ALL TIME HIGH IN THE DOW!!!! Thats right kids, an ALL TIME HIGH!!! pretty amazing considering we were at 6300 two months into the evil one's first term. Carry on.

You are so ecstatic now, yet you were so miserable when that ALL TIME HIGH!!! was achieved under Bush seven years ago. Selective ecstasy?
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
boggsman1 wrote:
who cares about any of this mumbo -jumbo...all you smart guys are correct. I am also correct when I tell you we are 100 points from an ALL TIME HIGH IN THE DOW!!!! Thats right kids, an ALL TIME HIGH!!! pretty amazing considering we were at 6300 two months into the evil one's first term. Carry on.

You are so ecstatic now, yet you were so miserable when that ALL TIME HIGH!!! was achieved under Bush seven years ago. Selective ecstasy?

It was October 2007, 5.5 years ago, and I was ecstatic, but I also knew that end would be ugly. My firm was failing, oil was heading to 147, my condo was cratering, and the world was about to come to an end. Today, I dont feel that any of those risks exist, so it is quite different.
Mr G. I enjoy your presence here, hopefully your 3 minute allocation can be extended a bit this week.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only I had the time!! The mountains are beckoning.
capetonian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
stevenbard wrote:
their pay is already way above civilian pay.

I posted the fallacies in that claim a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.mauldineconomics.com/images/uploads/pdf/130213_4_TFTF_Pension.pdf

I didn't see your posts so I'm not responding to that, but it sure seems like gov pensions are way above civilian pensions.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
stevenbard wrote:
their pay is already way above civilian pay.

I posted the fallacies in that claim a couple of weeks ago.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there would be a free flow of individuals in and out of govt if their pay was market based. It is not, so they latch on to the govt teet. And if you really want my opinion, most govt folks would have a difficult time surviving in the real world if ejected from their govt jobs.

I was recently at an IRS office. Thought I was on the set of the "Walking Dead". In fact, they walked about as fast as someone who'd downed a 5th of JD.

They are way overpaid, and your assertion is laughable. There is practically 0 turnover in govt. There is significant turnover in the private sector.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bard, you seem pretty high on the idea of screwing with those folks that happen to work for the federal government, and I have to assume that you feel similarly about those who also work for state, county and city governments too. With the sequester poised to implement 20% weekly pay cuts on federal workers through furloughs, you seem elated that conservatives will have the opportunity to implement significant pay cuts on middle class workers. Isn't it ironic that you and most all Republicans were not too long ago so worried about an astronomical 4.9% tax increase to folks in the very top income bracket in this country. And, I'm sure right now you are diametrically opposed to President Obama's call for closing some selected tax benefits and loopholes for high income earners to generate some revenue to help cut our deficit. I get the distinct impression that you classify those that work for the government for middle class wages as less than worthy folks that don't deserve much interest at all. I might be pushing things a bit, but I almost get the impression that you would support a Nazi against the Jew type purge, less the killing of course.

Now, the anticipated furloughs are only looked at as a temporary action for 20 to 30 weeks, but it must be remembered that the sequestration is a 10 year plan. That means that if something is not done, many folks will lose their jobs. What will those folks do? Are you under the illusion that there are tons of good jobs in the private sector that these folks can simply transfer to? You seem to be so cavalier about the lives of others that you consider as non-productive underlings in our society. Folks that are only one step above the unemployed dregs of society that irresponsibly sponge off of the government at the taxpayer expense.

While I'm opposed to cutting government spending as a way to streamline things to reduce waste and abuse towards a reasonable goal of reducing our deficit and debt, I would like to think about the impact it would have on people's lives, to include the many programs that provide value to the country. Even though the 85 billion in yearly cuts to the budget isn't overtly huge, they will have a significant impact on those affected by them. That not only means government employees, but also to the many of us not in government that benefit in some way from government spending. To lessen the negative affects of reducing spending, I would hope that it would be done intelligently. Unfortunately, I don't look to Republicans and Republican leadership to be able to pull it off. One only has to look back over time to see how unprepared they are to act responsibly.
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
... And if you really want my opinion, most govt folks would have a difficult time surviving in the real world if ejected from their govt jobs...

I'm not so sure you can make an across the board generalization like that Steven. As you know I worked on a NAVY contract for 2 years and most of the people I worked with were pretty tech savvy. I also remember working over one Memorial day weekend at the Base when the wind was blowing 30+.

Last edited by jp5 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
mac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all you Obama haters who only listen to selected news, read this and weep:

Quote:
By Mark Murray, Senior Political Editor, NBC News

With automatic, across-the-board spending cuts set to begin Friday, majorities of Americans believe that approach is not a good idea and also say the contentious budget negotiations make them less confident about the U.S. economy, according to the latest NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll.

Despite those findings, a majority still supports Congress moving ahead with either the current cuts or a plan containing even more cuts as a way to reduce the deficit, suggesting the public’s general appetite for reducing spending.

But the poll also shows that as the nation’s political actors once again quarrel over these automatic cuts totaling $1.2 trillion over 10 years – commonly referred to as sequestration or the sequester – President Barack Obama finds himself in a much stronger position than his Republican adversaries.

The dumbest party hacks since the know-nothing era still think that Obama can't lead, and still think that they can outmaneuver him.
nw30

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, you do know that Mark Murray has always carried BHO's water, or at least aspires to.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpbassking wrote:
stevenbard wrote:
... And if you really want my opinion, most govt folks would have a difficult time surviving in the real world if ejected from their govt jobs...

I'm not so sure you can make an across the board generalization like that Steven. As you know I worked on a NAVY contract for 2 years and most of the people I worked with were pretty tech savvy. I also remember working over one Memorial day weekend at Naval Base Ventura when the wind was blowing 30+.

I remember your sacrifices JP! If you'd been a govt employee, I think you would have found a way to be on the water! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 6 of 12

Jump to: