myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sequestration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
capetonian, you bring up an interesting point about managing budgets, and how smart cuts need to fit in to keep things efficient. However, one of the things that conservatives today tend to leave out is new spending on investment. President Obama keeps bringing up the need to invest for the future, but Republicans can't seem to see beyond cutting spending. When it comes down to it, you really can't cut your way to prosperity.

"you really can't cut your way to prosperity."
Straight from BHO's mouth.

THERE ARE NO CUTS!!!
It's only a small reduction in the rate of growth.
I've said this before, but the left keeps claiming cuts.
2013 will see higher spending than 2012, no matter what.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the sequester will happen, and the stock market is enjoying the potential cuts. I wish someone could herd the cats in congress and bring us certainty. Obama should make the best of this meager cut by rearanging it.

The size of government has doubled since the year 2000. And Obama, our great leader can't find 1.5% in savings? Cut all govt junkets to the tropics. Sell unused govt land and buildings. Add 1 year to the retirement age spaced over the next 12 years. (1 month per year). Cut govt salaries by 1.5% (excluding military). Guess how many will quit thier jobs? 0....their pay is already way above civilian pay.
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
BOB WOODWARD:
Obama Is Showing 'A Kind Of Madness I Haven't Seen In A Long Time'
Brett LoGiurato | Feb. 27, 2013, 9:23 AM

The Washington Post's Bob Woodward ripped into President Barack Obama on "Morning Joe" today, saying he's exhibiting a "kind of madness I haven't seen in a long time" for a decision not to deploy an aircraft carrier to the Persian Gulf because of budget concerns.

"Can you imagine Ronald Reagan sitting there and saying, 'Oh, by the way, I can't do this because of some budget document?'" Woodward said.

"Or George W. Bush saying, 'You know, I'm not going to invade Iraq because I can't get the aircraft carriers I need?'" Or even Bill Clinton saying, 'You know, I'm not going to attack Saddam Hussein's intelligence headquarters,' ... because of some budget document?"

The Defense Department said in early February that it would not deploy the U.S.S. Harry Truman to the Persian Gulf, citing budget concerns relating to the looming cuts known as the sequester.

"Under the Constitution, the President is commander-in-chief and employs the force. And so we now have the President going out because of this piece of paper and this agreement. 'I can’t do what I need to do to protect the country,'" Woodward said.

"That’s a kind of madness that I haven't seen in a long time," he said.

Woodward's harsh criticism came after he stirred controversy last weekend by calling out Obama for what he said was "moving the goal posts" on the sequester by requesting that revenue be part of a deal to avert it.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/bob-woodward-obama-sequester-republicans-2013-2#ixzz2M7dUd6zn

As the White House turns.
I have to admit, I'm loving this, if BHO looses the MSM, he'll be in serious trouble. It could even be an LBJ/Cronkite moment, not holding my breath though, but still, Woodward is pretty well respected w/in the MSM.

BOB WOODWARD: A 'Very Senior' White House Person Warned Me I'd 'Regret' What I'm Doing

Bob Woodward said this evening on CNN that a "very senior person" at the White House warned him that he would "regret doing this," the same day he has continued to attack President Barack Obama over the looming forced cuts known as the sequester.

CNN host Wolf Blitzer said that the network invited a White House official to debate Woodward on-air, but the White House declined.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/bob-woodward-obama-sequester-white-house-reporting-price-politics-2013-2#ixzz2M9GMnTqG
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capetonian wrote:
I'm all for investing in the future. Though my fear is if we don't rearrange our budget by taking from some areas to invest in others, we'll never be able to pay for that investment. If that rearrangement of the budget also includes cuts in areas that I don't particularly want cut, such as defense, then so be it in the spirit of making the future possible.

Do you guys not realize that "investment" is simply Leftspeak for "spending"?

Do you not know that stimulus spending, at rates far higher than Obama has even dreamed, has failed to do anything for employment or the economy?

Have you already forgotten that Obama told the world that he values wealth redistribution, aka "fairness", more important than the economy?

Did you fail to notice that on 11/11/11 he swore to veto any bill that cut sequestration by a dime?

You DO know, don't you, that he initially proposed sequestration in the false hope that it would bluff the GOP into caving on their demands that he cut spending dollar for dollar to balance any tax increases the GOP accepted, which he refused to do?

SURELY you know he has not cut spending one iota, that the $2T he claimed in the SOTU address had been cut was a lie, that in reality he just shaved $2T off of proposed spending raises over 10 years, that the CBO says we're looking at something like $25T by 2025 if no one reverses Obamanomics?

Do you think ANY aspect of our economy is improving? Dow @ $14T simply reflects more hot air, in the form of play money, in the house of cards. Housing market coming around? Not according to the lead story in today's WSJ at http://tinyurl.com/cxjdt4e . Condensed excerpt: Two years ago, a recently bankrupt couple wanted to spend <$250,000 for a home near DC. Instead, they bought a much bigger $426,000 new home. How? The builder paid $5,000 of their closing costs and relatives gave them $12,000 of the down payment. HAVE THE PUBLIC AND THE BANKS FORGOTTEN 2007/8 ALREADY? (The answer is "yes", if the recent barrage of house-flipping commercials promising $100,000 profits is any indication.)

The head of the world's biggest fund, the CEO of Charles Schwab, and the greatest commodities billionaire on the planet are all three saying we're in very deep doo doo (a quote), and the left is swallowing Obamashit like it's prime rib deep fried in caramel ice cream.

Gold is dropping exactly as forecast. Some good buying opportunities are approaching. Wise up.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it possibly be that the President has no interest in stopping the so-called "cuts"?.........and that he and his Administration are wildly hyping the impact of these negligible reductions in order to have something else to blame for anemic growth in the coming months?
mac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly the President decided to invest in the politics of budget priorities rather than propose more palatable cuts. That can be described as moving the goalposts, or it can be described as a reaction to Republican dilatory tactics on all policy proposals and appointments. None of us really know what has been said, or decided, in the White House.

But the President's position does not prevent leadership by the GOP, or excuse their lack of action. It is Congress that establishes the budget--the President only proposes. Congressional leadership, of either party, did not suggest more palatable cuts and present them to the President as a bipartisan consensus. Such an effort was not impossible. I think that the GOP--and all the sore-loser conservatives on this forum-- remain obsessed with Obama and willing to blame everything on him.

Obama has been asked by the left in his party to be more assertive in his approach with intransigents in Congress, and take his case to the public rather than make one-sided concessions. If the nominal leadership of the GOP continues to be cowed by, or unable to lead, the Tea Party and thus refuses to negotiate, I would expect Obama to pursue this approach.

It has been the GOP's turn to move and suggest something constructive for a long time. We're still waiting.

Mrgybe's story about the economic growth is wishful thinking, compounded by Obama-hatred. The cuts are rather modest in the context of the whole economy, and the recovery continues. I see more construction in the last aquarter than in the last four years. So a half percent dip in GNP growth, with a 2-4% increase otherwise expected, will not crash the economy. It will, however, illustrate the areas in which the government that the Tea Party hates does things that most people want done.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conservatives are just happy they can slow down the rate of growth of our govt. It is only 44 billion going to 87 billion next year. This is a drop in the bucket. I also think many conservatives are willing to accept the cuts in defense. Is this president?

You must admit that it is embarassing for the president and his administration to fear monger like they have. Why can't we slow down the growth of government without such antics.
pueno

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IsoBeck wrote:

Gold is dropping exactly as forecast. Some good buying opportunities are approaching. Wise up.

Thanks for the reminder, Glenn. Whatever you say must be right.

(Pun intended.)
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

who cares about any of this mumbo -jumbo...all you smart guys are correct. I am also correct when I tell you we are 100 points from an ALL TIME HIGH IN THE DOW!!!! Thats right kids, an ALL TIME HIGH!!! pretty amazing considering we were at 6300 two months into the evil one's first term. Carry on.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
their pay is already way above civilian pay.

I posted the fallacies in that claim a couple of weeks ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 5 of 12

Jump to: