myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sequestration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it interesting that the Republicans are seemingly so willing to let sequestration rip. It was a totally different scene last December when the Bush Tax Cuts were scheduled to expire, because they were effectively forced to come to the table to negotiate to avoid across the board tax increases. Now, because the sequestration is essentially all budget cuts, it fits with what they wanted in the first place in 2011 with their staged debt ceiling crisis. The only hitch in the picture are the hefty defense cuts that will be implemented, especially since many of the cuts will potentially affect defense related businesses in Republican Red states. But, just wait. As soon as sequestration starts to take place, just mark my words, Republicans will move straight out to re-fund the defense cuts in an effort to mitigate the carnage back home. However, if I was President Obama, unless new tax revenues are a part of the plan, I would veto any legislation that Republicans might pass to weasel out of the impact of defense cuts. It would be a tough stance to maintain, especially since the Democrats will also be looking to stem the negative impacts to their constituents back home, but President Obama needs to play hardball here. There must be a steep price to pay for the Republican's continued transgressions and obstinacy.
keycocker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GOP has largely lost interest in governing. They asked themselves
Can this be blamed on Obama? And then went back to sleep.
I watched the GOP primary with some hardcore well educated conservatives who concluded the GOP was giving away an election they were sure to win right that moment.
nw30

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
NW continues to try to put words in people's mouth to belittle them. Little does he realize he is providing us with ample material. Here from the Christian Science Monitor:

Quote:
For the economy, the $45 billion in defense cuts would be an amount equal to about 0.3 percent of one year’s gross domestic product. That doesn’t mean the cuts would reduce this year’s GDP by that exact amount. But forecasters say the overall sequester cuts, defense and nondefense, could slow the pace of economic growth by half a percentage point or so.

In an economy that may be growing at only a 2 percent annual rate, that’s a significant hit.

Economists generally don’t see it causing a recession. But manufacturers warn of significant job losses, centered heavily in the defense sector.

Overall, this would slow US job growth in the private sector – perhaps costing 1 million jobs. The Bipartisan Policy Center, a Washington think tank, has estimated that the economy might add 3 million jobs over the next two years with the sequester in place, versus 4 million without it.

I did not, nor did anyone here, describe this as a catastrophe. Instead, I remarked that better targeted cuts should be a no-brainer. But that would require compromise, listening, and most difficult for the Tea Party fools, some understanding of government. It is the worship of know-nothings that is the true catastrophe in our political arena.

No, BHO basically did.
Teachers laid off, we've got federally funded teachers? That's a new one.
And the BS list goes on, you heard his catastophic speech, if not, butt out.
You should know of what you speak.
Here, I'll make it easy for you, just in case you missed it.
Complete with his classic props standing behind him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2qKuMjQvR0
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NW30, wouldn't you agree that federal money has long flowed down to the states? Required cuts under the sequester, and the nature of them could very well affect the employment of teachers at local levels. In my mind, the real question is how things unfold over time, and it will clearly take a period of time to understand the actual impacts.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are only talking about 1.25% of the entire federal budget here. It just so happens to hit defense harder. Too bad. After all, isn't that the one and only thing the "commander in cheif" was supposed to do? Defend our country?

I hope the sequester happens. Then Obama will have to finally REALLY prioritize instead of talk. He'll finally have to lead.
pueno

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
...isn't that the one and only thing the "commander in cheif" was supposed to do? Defend our country?

Sorry, I thought all you rabid righties were slamming Obama because he wasn't defending the Constitution.

Oh, wait. I get it.

Obama's perpetually wrong because he never does what you want -- until he does what you want and then you want the opposite so you can piss and moan and fling feces about what he's not doing.
mac

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NW--you appear to be the latest fool to step up and support right wing talking points without a factoid to back your claims. But you aren't even a dinosaur any more. You are an arch-conservative in California, where arch conservatives have destroyed the Republican brand. Now you guys are increasingly irrelevant, not just in California, but throughout the country.

Quote:
But then again I find it amazing that BHO got re-elected, considering our floundering economy and high unemployment rate.

Let me explain it, without Kool Aid, in terms you can understand. Obama won the national vote by 5 million votes--a far bigger margin than Bush the first time (remember, he lost the popular vote?), despite the economic difficulties, because most people that paid attention to any news other than Faux new that it was deliberate Republican policies of deregulation that had created and inflated the bubble, and protected those whose fraud allowed them to make money from it, to escape prosecution. It was not an accident, and it was not Obama's fault.

I'll give you the other piece. Romney ran to the furthest right on immigration, covering the party with shame. Yesterday's polls in California showed that 90% favor a path to eventual citizenship.

It is the message, not the messenger. But you apparently don't mind becoming more and more irrelevant as a fringe voter in California. You could always move to Alabama and teach spelling!

The vote total in California was 6.4 million for Obama, 4.2 million for Thurston. You might like Alabama politics--1.2 million for Mittster and 800,000 for Obama. All of 9 electoral votes. But maybe you can help them suppress the minority vote.
mac

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For CB and the others who actually are paying attention. At first, Obama's demonizing of the Republicans didn't make sense to me; such rhetoric makes reaching a deal hard. A few thoughts have occurred to me. First, the Republicans have already drawn a line in the sand on cabinet and judicial appointees that they will continue to fillibuster everything. In the House, Boehner will try to prevent any bill reaching a vote on gun control that would cost them NRA support, or let the mothers of America see that the Rep's are completely beholden to the NRA.

Second, the Reps have lost public opinion on the sequester question. Here's the polling plus some opinion from
http://www.politicususa.com/obama-routs-republicans-sequester-56-gop-support-balanced-approach.html

Quote:
President Obama has already won the messaging war on taxes, the deficit, and the sequester. His victory is so comprehensive that even a majority of Republicans support his position. This poll illustrates that Republican members of Congress are no longer only out of step with the rest of the country. On this issue, they are out of step with a majority of their own party.

This same poll found that if the sequester cuts go into effect, congressional Republicans will be blamed by 49%-31% margin. The Boehner plan to blame Obama for the sequester is now a verified flop. If House Republicans maintain their unpopular position, you can expect their percentage of the blame to increase in the coming days.

Third, if the approach of the Republicans is to try to block everything, despite the damage it does them in public opinion, then the Democratic left is going to insist that Obama be tough. It then becomes a matter of the midterm elections, and creating a series of cudgels to batter the Re-thugs with. Although their control of state houses after the census gave them lots of safe seats, the question becomes whether they can survive their internal battles, and the public's clear antipathy to the wing nuts in the Tea Party. It would not suprise me to see them nominate a group in 2014 that cannot win in the general elections. So if the answer is two years of GOP stalling, then the battle is for public opinion and 2014. They continue to believe their problem is the messenger, not the message.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
I don't care about the rest of the world's taxes, eventhough we have the highest corporate tax rate

As you know, your second phrase contradicts your first. i.e., if everyone else's were comparable to or higher than ours, outsourcing would be much less profitable.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
Then Obama will have to finally REALLY prioritize instead of talk. He'll finally have to lead.

I have seen no evidence whatsoever that he's capable of leading, and much to the contrary. And if one stretched "lead" to include rhetoric, he'd still be leaning so far left that he'd still do more harm than good. Legislate every kid into government schools ... i.e., take it away from its own mother several hours a day ... beginning at age 3?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: