myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where are Tabou boards from and who's sailed their 3 Style?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nodak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Where are Tabou boards from and who's sailed their 3 Style? Reply with quote

The Tabou 3 Style's are supposedly great all around boards. Anyone has any feedback on them?

Are Tabou boards an offshoot from Bic?
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nodak,

Tabou is shaped by Fabien Vollenweider, who used to shape for Bic a pretty long time ago. I don't believe that the two brands are connected from a business standpoint.

The 3S was by far our best selling medium and high wind board last year. In a few more weeks, we'll have every size 2013 3S available in our demo fleet. If you can make a trip to Hatteras, come try one out and see for yourself!

Performance wise, they fit in the slot between RRD's super cush ride and JP's super lively ride, offering a superb balance between excitement and control.

Full disclosure- I both sell and sail Tabou boards... and I LOVE 'em. Very Happy And the more of them you buy, the more support people like Thomas Traversa will get- which will hopefully keep him stoking us all out with videos like this one:

http://vimeo.com/59946122#

Soooooo Goooooood!!!!! Cool

http://wind-nc.com
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tabou , since 1991, based in Southern France, or were. You may be correct on BIC , as going froma fuzzy memory founded by brothers who had worked for --- ?

Cobra built boards, aside from individual construction materials and placement of those, carbon, kevlar etc, would have similar strength to other Cobra products. Being smaller than the largest companies would have some advantage. Rather innovative company, they invented the slot box, a twin fin freestyle board, a 5 fin convertible, not overall mainstream in ideas and certainly not graphics, and not alone in the graphic dept, some seemed designed by kindergartners, who were told to draw what they feel like when sick, as I said not alone.

They have brilliant line up of windsurfing weapons. The Rocket series is four star in almost all tests.

The 3S was a early board, went away, then came back, umm 2006, it has gone from 2 or 3 sizes to 5 now. Tabou like to continue development year to year rather than constant change, which speaks well for the previous models. Depending of WHICH size they are going to have very different characteristics, comparing the small to the large is like apples to oranges. The little 76L has been out a few years and very well received.
ME Being a fairly light weight the larger sizes 106L & up to me are for heavier sailors.

Boardseeker will have some tests/reviews. To really compare against other offerings the size would be needed.

THE 3S I have had are 87 and 97L, compared to Starboard or Fanatic IMO they are much more manouever oriented, more wave//freestyle

the Tabou footstraps NOW are amoung the best production board one, the fins are MFC designed but Cobra made, and very very good

the Tabou Pocket Wave, if made in the correct size "could" be a option even in bump & jump

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
kdolphin37

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nodak I have 2 Tabou a 93 pocket wave and a new 3S 106 ltd both great boards. I'm 206 lb and love my 106 I ride it in 18 to low 30's it very e/z to control, big wind range I ride in wave's and large swell's. I don't have to swap board"s to much anymore. Try one u will love it!
keycocker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taboo was a small outfit bought by BIC long ago to expand their line.At the time BIC only made boards out of the same plastic as pens but sold a lot of them anyway.
They sold out Tabou when BIC stopped making gear.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did BIC stop making gear?
Just a curiosity.

-Craig

keycocker wrote:
Taboo was a small outfit bought by BIC long ago to expand their line.At the time BIC only made boards out of the same plastic as pens but sold a lot of them anyway.
They sold out Tabou when BIC stopped making gear.
nodak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Exocet Cross IV 114 seems to be a very similar board in application and price. I wonder how the two boards compare in performance: Tabou 3S 116 and Exocet Cross IV 114.

I'm at 180 some lbs and am currently making a transition from a larger volume board.
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chances are, either one will treat you pretty well. Our neighbors right up the street, maybe a half a mile away, should have a demo Cross for you to try... Take a vacation to Hatteras, try the 3S, Cross, Kode, RRD FSW, Quatro, JP, Fanatic....... There are 4 shops in Avon, another in Waves, and a sixth in Buxton.... You can get virtually anything you want out here... Cool

Not to mention, if you're getting used to smaller boards- the Pamlico Sound is just about the most forgiving place to windsurf in the world. Waist deep water literally as far as the eye can see.... Sandy bottom, no current, minimal chop regardless of wind strength... Professional instructors available year round...

Come on out to the beach and get yourself dialed in Very Happy

http://wind-nc.com
keycocker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry didnt get that right.
BIC spun off BIC sport and that company still makes big beginner boards and Technos.
dcharlton

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 2012 96 3s and the 2013 116 3S. I LOVE them both. High performance but not high strung. They make me feel like a better windsurfer than I actually am and have given me confidence to start hitting waves.

Had great experiences with dealing with Andy at Wind NC as well.

DC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: