myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
fishin poles at Rufus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WEISDA

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: fishin poles at Rufus Reply with quote

some discussion about fishing poles along the bank at Rufus, over on the nw kite forum. access may be difficult.
AlexM

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The access problem is most likely to come in the form of kiters who can no longer launch where they traditionally do near the gravel piles. Instead they will be launching on the west end at the little cove which has traditionally been the windsurfers' enclave.

Hopefully we can all find a way to adapt to this situation, which in any case is probably temporary. But everyone needs to keep in mind that these tribes have every right to fish the river as they see fit. It is not some kind of entitlement, either - it's their inherent right under treaties.
WMP

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The conflict between kiters and native tribal fishermen this year seems to have started with this...

"I personally can attest to the fact that a couple weeks ago it was one of our local Kiter who was at fault and being antagonistic, allowing his dog to roam around unsupervised and cutting Fisherman's lines from the water. Not sure this issue will ever go away."

Been sailing Rufus for over 30 years without any conflicts with fishermen or kiters. However, I've noticed the increased anger over shore use issues and attitude problems between user groups in recent years. What many kiters don't realize is the history behind the Native American tribal rights.

Native American culture is very much connected to nature and there is a passion for what the great mother earth provides them. The white man destroyed their most prized and cherished holy site by creating a dam that buried Celilo Falls.

As a windsurfer, I can't imagine the horror it would inflict upon me if my most favorite and cherished sailing places were destroyed by our gov't. Yet, this is what happened to the native tribes at Celilo Falls. I see it as a crime against humanity. Shameful how the native peoples were treated and how their center of culture (happy place) was buried forever.

We just need to be more sensitive to the issues of the Native American peoples and try to understand the loss that they have experienced.
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be happy!

Last edited by Mulekick84 on Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
WMP

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slice-N-Dice wrote:
They may have lost Celilo Falls, but they gained Zebco Reels and the IPhone!

Seems even steven to me.

Interesting point. Would you trade your favorite sailing site for modern gear and an iphone?

I sure wouldn't.... nope, no way. In fact, you couldn't pay me enough to force me to sail with the newer sails. AND you can't convince me that the $600 iPhone is any better than my $15 LG Android phone.

Native Tribes fished Celilo Falls (greatest fishing site in North America) for 15,000 years and were not given a choice when it came time for this gov't to destroy their most sacred fishing site.

We have a system here that is cleverly disguised as a "democracy". This is nothing more than hypocrisy. Fact is, we live in a political system in America that is driven by imperialism. This seems to be a growing trend among windsurfers and kiters as well.
isobans

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I drive to Roosevelt from the east scores of times a year, 75% of the time the wind starts at the bend a couple of miles east of Roosevelt. Heck, Arlington is normally a half-meter weaker than Roosevelt. I'd guesstimate that maybe 3 times out of 4, 3-Mile has no whitecaps when it's blowing 4.x at Rosey.

What sail size does one use for that?

I do downwinders every day, without shuttles and the right sail size. i.e., I rip upwind a few hundred yards, U-turn, go deep until the wind lets off just a little, then U-turn and repeat. All the action, little of the hassles of true downwinders. What it misses is the sense of adventure ... and the attendant risk of some serious schlogfests. If the latter is acceptable, the payoff could be big if the downwind leg is scouted well.

A few locals launched at Mercury Cove west of Rosey, came ashore at Rosey maybe an hour later. They had fun, but they've spent hours organizing the trip, shuffling vehicles, derigging, shuffling vehicles again, etc., and now their sailing day is over. The rest of us just windsurfed all day.

Different strokes.

If you try a DW east of Rosey -- it can be very good some days -- make sure of two things:
1. Watch the water to estimate sail size as you drive east to park your destination vehicle at Alder Creek or the Crow Butte Campground in the bay (your only legal options east of Rosey). Don't rig by Rosey's wind unless it looks quite SW and looks consistent as you drive back to Rosey after dropping off your destination vehicle.
2. Make sure the wind's not going to clock from SW to W during your trip, as it usually does in the PM. If it does, you're screwed unless you're on big floaters. I don't know how you make sure of that; a morning trip optimizes your chances.

If you catch the wind right, it can be a great trip. In the right conditions you may encounter giant rollers rideable for hundreds of yards, as one group claims they did on a nuker from just the right direction years ago from east of Roosevelt to Alder Creek (I don't know what direction that is ... surely not 270, maybe more like 250?)
isobars

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten.
Years.
Old.

And not the post ... the poster.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: