myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where is the Windsurfing in Palmdale?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wissmandale

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Where is the Windsurfing in Palmdale? Reply with quote

I live in the high desert, and I always have to drive to the beach or to Lake Isabella. Palmdale is right down the road. What lake is there to sail on? There is a Lake Palmdale, but I understood that lake to be privately owned. Do they allow windsurfing? I Googled the lake, but there is no contact information. Anyone actually been windsurfing in Palmdale?
dabull1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: Palmdale! Reply with quote

I think your only hope is Lake Silverwood, which located in the mountains just East of Hiway 15 near Wrightwood, about an hour's drive from Palmdale. It would be sweet if the huntclub pond where the 14 comes down from the crest would open for us 'cause it whitecaps most afternoons, according to reliable sources. Bull
dabull1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Palmdale! Reply with quote

I think your only hope is Lake Silverwood, which located in the mountains just East of Hiway 15 near Wrightwood, about an hour's drive from Palmdale. It would be sweet if the huntclub pond where the 14 comes down from the crest would open for us 'cause it whitecaps most afternoons, according to reliable sources. Bull
dabull1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Palmdale! Reply with quote

wissmandale

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that about the hunting lake, but it is indeed a private lake. Lake Elizabeth about 10 miles outside of Palmdale allows windsurfing, but I don't know if the wind is any good there. I guess it's just a "go-and-find-out" kind of thing. Burn a day driving around and scouting it out.
dabull1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lake Elizabeth qualifies as a scenic pond in my book. I sailed there once back in the Rocket Express days, read about twenty years ago, on a decent Santa Ana day and each reach lasted about 45 seconds. So unless a miracle happened and it grew exponentially, or you sail a slow longboard... Sorry 'bout the triple post, my comp got excited! Bull
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often when we drive up to Mammoth during the ski season, there's a fairly decent sized lake along highway 138, just off Interstate 5. Lots of wind normally through there with fairly solid white caps, but it is fenced off. My thought is that it might have something to do with the California Aqueduct system, but that's just a guess on my part. I'm unsure if any access is allowed, but it might be worthwhile checking into.
Costeocllo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion Lake Silverwood is located in near mountain near East of Hiway.
Wink

[url=http://www.BestPalmdaleLocksmith.net ]Palmdale Locksmith[/url]
bubbalover

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're two hours from Lake Isabella, one of the best places to sail on the West Coast. Come up, if it's a good day you'll see people sailing!
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is the Windsurfing in Palmdale? Reply with quote

Yeh, Lake Palmdale ( the one right next to I14) would be sweet.
It has capped over every afternoon that I have been there. I have attempted to
find access to the lake, but it appears the only access is granted through
the Fin & Feather Club. Perhaps you could ask them about a membership.
Frankly, I think it's unfortunate that it's not for general recreation.
There's a public parking lot right next to the lake which you could maybe
sneak your gear through the fence, but the guys at the club have shot guns ;*)

I'm only there for maybe 1 week a year, but I've definitely thought about
it.

-Craig

wissmandale wrote:
I live in the high desert, and I always have to drive to the beach or to Lake Isabella. Palmdale is right down the road. What lake is there to sail on? There is a Lake Palmdale, but I understood that lake to be privately owned. Do they allow windsurfing? I Googled the lake, but there is no contact information. Anyone actually been windsurfing in Palmdale?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: