myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
windsurfing on the decline in HI?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bubbalover

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, as was previously stated they are no longer allowed to do any business at the park or on the beach at Kailua. So no rentals, no lessons, no nothing.

I talked to the guys at the Naish shop and they say they will keep renting from the shop, my impression was that they'll have little if any competition.

So yeah, I would say windsurfing is on the decline in Kailua because of that stupid #^$*&@ law.
jamieinnyc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Oahu Rentals Reply with quote

So, I'm headed to Oahu for a family event in July, staying at Kahala - I guess it's Naish or nothing for rentals? That makes my choice easy, I suppose. And perhaps they will have SUP crossover for rent (given that wind will likely be light).
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big drawback is now you have to transport the equipment. You used to only have to do that after 1 pm on Sat & all day on Sun. It was hard to beat having the equipment right there rigged at the beach.

Coachg
nodak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Oahu Rentals Reply with quote

jamieinnyc wrote:
So, I'm headed to Oahu for a family event in July, staying at Kahala - I guess it's Naish or nothing for rentals? That makes my choice easy, I suppose. And perhaps they will have SUP crossover for rent (given that wind will likely be light).

I rented SUPs from Naish last year and found that Naish did not deliver gear to the beach park anymore. I had inflatable roof racks and brought the gear to and from park myself. So get some make-shift roof racks on the cheap.
bubbalover

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Oahu Rentals Reply with quote

jamieinnyc wrote:

Naish will give you a soft rack with your rental. I rented a big, old 230L board that worked great in 15kts in Kailua.

Another option that they're doing now is inflatable SUP, if you want to SUP. You could, in theory, rent an inflatable SUP AND some windsurfing gear and be OK in your rental car. If the wind comes up Naish does have some pretty nice newer boards and sails.
leto

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurfing is not on the decline in Hawaii but it's practically dead in Oahu and all other islands. Maui is still kicking.
I have no clue who is buying all new equipment now. All mine is 2009. I don't know anyone in person who bought any new stuff in the last couple of years.

In Maui, one day rental is pretty good because I can get the stuff at lets say 1pm and return it at about 4pm next day. It means I can use it two days and pay for one. So take breaks between days, rent kiting suff then and repeat. I remember renting Starboard Kode 86, which was a pretty crappy board, but jumped OK - all that I cared for.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last discussion we had on Maui's WSing scene trended very strongly towards a very dramatic decline in WSing there.

I get a kick out of the reason many people give for disparaging WSing in HI: "The $%!#$% laws make us carry and rig our own $#!+!" ... and they seem serious. Four solutions, snarkey yet appropriate to how that sounds:
1. Pay someone to go get yer gear, bring it to you, rig it, buckle your harness, carry it past the shorebreak, and hand it to you.
2. Pay someone to sail for you.
3. Pay someone to take the whole dang vacation for you. Hell, I'll do it for you if our contract includes making certain every condo has a working air conditioner capable of cranking the temps way down, someone to go through the entire air transportation hassle for me, and a promise from God(sey?) that the wind will cooperate almost every day and that I don't miss any classic days in the Gorge while I'm gone.
4. Take a cruise ship, stake out a chair beside the buffet and near the bathroom, and don't even budge until you're home again. (No, I WON'T do that for you for any amount of money, at least not until I'm dead. That's not a vacation; it's an embalmment.)

Are people getting THAT lazy and THAT unwilling to pick and choose where they want to sail on a given day? Do they want the sport injected into their jugular veins for them? If so, imagine what they'd miss on a trip to the Gorge area, which has well over 70 launches scattered over hundreds of miles, each with its own unique panache, populace, attitude, environment, facilities, costs, rigging, launch, terrain, wind, and weather.

Confused
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave it to isobars to twist this discussion into something about the Gorge. Why does he have a habit of frequently doing that?
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get what you're saying, and I like doing things myself, but
I'd probably pay large for a board that would loop itself with
me on it. ;*) I'm already addicted to boards that jibe themselves.

With regard to Maui, it seems pretty much the same crowd (in fact, mostly
the same people) for the last 3 years (at least in the winter).

It'll probably be pretty steady state (there and in the Gorge)
until some of us start dying off.

-Craig

isobars wrote:
The last discussion we had on Maui's WSing scene trended very strongly towards a very dramatic decline in WSing there.

I get a kick out of the reason many people give for disparaging WSing in HI: "The $%!#$% laws make us carry and rig our own $#!+!" ... and they seem serious. Four solutions, snarkey yet appropriate to how that sounds:

2. Pay someone to sail for you.
Confused
windswell

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Rentals in Honolulu - Kahala Reply with quote

If you're staying at Kahala, there is a shop in Oahu that will rent gear. You just have to tell them a day or 2 before hand, and they'll bring gear over from Kailua. At least you don't have to drive back and forth yourself.

I've also just brought a harness, and been friendly to the locals at Kahala Beach Park. I've usually found someone with extra gear that they'll share or rent cheap. That way you also have someone to sail with, and they show up when it's windy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: