myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Naish 115 All Terrain and RRD Firemove 110

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SPQR

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Naish 115 All Terrain and RRD Firemove 110 Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone who sails SF Bay has sailed both. I'm curious if they have about the same level of flotation. I have the Naish All Terrain 115 and it's more or less my light wind board and I am really pleased with it. I use a Naish Wave board or Fanatic Freewave for windy/small sail conditions. I'm 6"1" and with wetsuit, harness, radio etc. I'm sure I'm at 200 lbs. After well over 30 years of sailing I opt for a little larger board and smaller sail these days vs. the old days when I was slogging to the channel with a small board and bigger sail. Plus I'm just curious about the shorter wider boards and if it's worth adding to the quiver. I've seen a couple of guys sailing quite well on the Firemove 110's at Coyote last summer, one has the Limited and the other the X-Tech and they both raved about the boards. With no easy way to demo one and compare it to my Naish any input is appreciated. Thanks!
jsampiero

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those two boards are separated by *way* more than five liters. If you *love* the Naish, I suspect you will not like the Firemove. Totally different feel and style of riding.

My personal website: www.youneedjosh.com
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to connect with the folks at Delta Windsurf once the season starts up. They carry RRDs, so there might be some opportunity for a demo on Sherman Island.
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delta doesn't have the Firemove in stock, so it is not available for demo. Jason Voss had one last season & should have one this season as well. RRD is one of his sponsors.

Coachg
Arrgh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delta does--or at least did--stock the RRD FSW, which has become radically shorter and wider than it was just a couple of years ago. I would contact Jason sooner rather than later regarding RRD's he might have from last year.
http://www.isthmussailboards.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RRD13FSWL
http://www.jrvwindsurfing.com/
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the Firemove something like 76cm wide?
I think the CalSailingClub has those boards, and the 100 or so is like 70cm wide.
Wide, short, thin, like a mini go board.
carl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very wide in the center with a narrow tail.
The guys at Coyote say it's good in the chop, but I never see them
jump. If jumping is important to you with a board this size, you may want to try it first. It's so wide, I could'nt imagine it would be good for anything but small hops.
SPQR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of my interest is that I am intrigued by some of these new short wide shapes. Looking at the Firemove I wonder how well it gybes, but a couple of guys have told me they would really surprise me. I think just looking at shapes the RRD FSW would be more of what I like and am used to, although they are shorter and wider also. But again I'm intrigued by claims of more flotation, quicker planing on some of the short wide boards. My All Terrain 115 has decent flotation for my weight yet still is pretty good for SF Bay bump and jump and also turns pretty nice on the swells in the channel. I think I'm going in the direction of the RRD FSW V2. Thanks forcall replies.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They jibe fine. They have soft rails and the rails are thin, with rolled bottoms like panel V to help you initiate.
Some people jibe 100cm Formulas like we do with slalom boards.
A little narrower would last longer for your main bump board, and the wide board would need bigger feet, say size 12 or bigger, to go rail to rail with centered rear straps.
Kinda like riding a door for your main board.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jem@jemhall.com

The guy above Jem is a RRD sponsored rider//instructor in the UK,
expect his res ponce to be likewise, but he may point you to a different RRD board, so get some advise towards your goal.

I don't see the Firemove as short, umm 236cm for the 110L but 75cm wide is

well WIDE. I have only seen one of these ,not ridden, seemed to not plane so early, but I cant remember what I was on.

my feeling is that its quite a lot different than the AT Naish, I have the 104L version, but yours will have a different feel at 115L.

before I lay down $$ on this I would continue to find some reflections

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: