myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
thruster boards
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poussin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: thruster boards Reply with quote

Hey y'all,

So what's your take on the new thruster boards that have recently been
rediscovered and are being showered upon us by most major brands
these days?
I know Rob Wymore has been building his Real Wind boards with the option of thruster fins for years and now suddenly it's as though this is a new revelation.
I tried one of the Real Wind boards in Maui about 4 years ago and loved it.
But alas, I really did not need any new equipment at the time (as if that ever really matters), ...........but NOW I need to fill in that small board gap that is ever so critical when it's a nukin'!
So this is my big chance.
Have any of you tried the new thruster boards and what is your opinion of them?
Thanks.

Greg
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(on soapbox)
While I haven't ridden any of the "new" thruster boards I can say that my Open Ocean boards rock! Brians thrusters are the only ones that are angled at 20 degrees. He's talked about the "New Thruster" design and chuckles. Its the Ferris Wheel of design. If you want a great high wind, rough water board check out the OO's.

The new website will FINALLY be up and running by the end of the month!
(off soapbox)
Very Happy

bprice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week I rode a Thruster while down at Vela Baja in Los Barriles. It was the 2012 JP 82L model with stock fin and thruster setup. I can't really say anything good about the board. It was the only board I sailed in my 14 of 19 sailing days that I didn't like... and most I loved! At home I ride a JP 84L twinzer, so I was expecting the classic JP feel, like the JP 75L single fin wave board Vela had that I put hours on that was great. Consensus from those who ride the JP Thruster was they liked them in the smallest sizes (sub 80L) but not so much in the larger models.

Do what you can to try out boards before you buy them. I know too many who buy based on reports, only to be dissapointed.
SuperNuker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the latest and greatest tri fin, custom made, etc. Really the best board money can buy. I go it to try it out. Guess what, I run it with a single fin and it's the best board I've ever had and I've had a lot.
It's hard to beat a good single fin. What do you think you'll gain out of the other two fins? I found just a bit a drag. And drag is a drag. I'm glad I got to try it out but I just find the single fin better in all around conditions.
Unless I'm riding Hookipa everyday, I'll stick with the single fin.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like noshuzbluz, I've been riding OO tri-fins since early 1996, and I have to say as high wind boards, they have been great. Yet, in my view, they perform much like single fin boards. To be honest though, I've never ridden any of the current twinzers, quads or thrusters. Yet, as a surfer, I've ridden thrusters. Did I like them? Not really, but I came from a different time and focused on a different style of surfing. It was more of the classic style that came out of surfing longboards of the early 60s. Sure, in the late 60s with the introduction of shortboards, I made the transition and loved it. But, I still was focused on a single fin style that wasn't all about cutting up the wave in pieces like most do now. Although thrusters allow so much maneuverability and looseness, they do tend to lack the drive and power of a single fin, or a tri-fin arrangement with a more standard sized center fin.

Well, what is best? If you're an old guy like me, maybe sticking with more traditional design is probably a better path, because it feels more comfortable and predictable. However, if you're a younger sailor, I'm thinking that a more radical approach to design is most likely the more exciting direction, especially if the waves are your primary focus.
capetonian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode a 2011 JP Thruster 93 for 3 weeks on vacation in Cape Town this past Christmas. I ride a 2011 LS quad 95 and 2013 LS quad 110 at home. Personally I prefer my LS quad boards, looser, wider range, predictable bottom turn, all round more user friendly. The only area that I felt the JP Thruster was better than the LS quad was in overpowered cross on / cross shore conditions - in those conditions it seems to have an unreal bottom turn, like it was on rails. I sailed it a couple of times in cross off logo high and mast high conditions at a DTL point called Haakgat and really missed my quad in those conditions. My conclusion was that the JP Thruster liked to be powered by the sail rather than the wave.

I tried a 2013 Quatro Thruster 102 for about an hour in crappy light on shore conditions and that was enough to tell me that I liked it more than the JP Thruster, but probably not enough to choose it over my current quads.
quigley

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last Aug. and Sept. I had the chance to sail 26 days straight on Maui. Except for the first 4 days on a Goya quad the rest of my time was on the Goya Thruster 68 L and brand new Quattro Thruster 74L. Both boards are great ! Excellant control in chop and of course they turn on a dime when in the waves.
I find quad boards to be slow and heavy when jumping, good for wave riding on Maui but limited back here on the East coast. The thrusters can work in waves and offer control in high wind bump and jump.
I ordered a new Quatro Thruster LS 74 , can' t wait to pick it up in Hatteras in April !
benpfree1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone try the Tabou pocket wave with the thruster layout? specifically has anyone used a 2012 or 2013 pocket 85? that is one board I'm considering. thanks
capetonian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a result of my previous post I got asked offline why I didn't like thrusters in DTL conditions. To clarify, it was the JP Thruster board I disliked, not the number of fins. What I missed about my quad at Haakgat was that I know it well and it does what I expect it to do.

Regarding the Quatro Thruster, I'm not yet qualified to have an opinion on it. One hour in really marginal sub planing conditions isn't enough time.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

both Quatro and Goya, Starboard as well are late to the show with their 3 fined boards. all having had twins and 4 fined

Fanatic in an UK interview stated , back a few years now, that they couldn't get any improvement over the single fin, obvious that has changed with Fanatic getting great test results with 3. Naish went with 3, after holding out, saying they did singles best.

What I have found is the number of fins is going to change the characteristics of the board shape, meaning all the design features, bottom shape, rocker...... but not the overall character. Put another way. a different tread design on the same wheel.

I would certainly consider a tri fin if looking at a new board.

The Pocket Waves have been refined, and have a nice set up for 3, not RIDDEN one, except a 2010 single, very nice board, works well in B&J and waves.

I have a 2008 Witchcraft Chakra, fin set up is 2+1, 88L, with 17cm center and 13.5cm sides. I tried it ONCE with a single fin, and have never given any serious thought to it again.

You can change the characteristic more so with the size of the fins,
the typical arrangements are large center and small sides, with 3 closer to the same size the board will loosen up, more so like a twin.

There will be innovations coming like asymmetrical fins and materials other than G10.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: